What's new

How to seal Rosin bags

HazyBulldog

Well F me sideways.

Hard to keep people apart with just their handles, let alone people with similar handles, lol. Thanks again.

HazyBulldog

Thanks! How much did your big tumbler cost and where can i find it?

I must have not posted it last time you asked, sorry. Meant to.

This guy's info is in the info at youtube, but if you have trouble, let me know. I emailed and talked to him. He is willing to give you a parts list, and you can build it forself for around 1k. Or he will build it and ship it to you for around 3k.
https://youtu.be/sPz9Ir1VdUo

EsterEssence

Veteran
Here are a couple pics of my tumbler, it is a 55 gal drum with enamel coating on the inside, a dog food container for the inner container that you cut the flat spots out and hot glue screen on. It will hold a couple pounds for each tumble. I can't believe that you would have to spend a grand for a diy or 3 grand for that tiny little thing...

Attachments

• DSCN1022.jpg
    DSCN1022.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN1093.jpg
    DSCN1093.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 12

HazyBulldog

I spend that happily.

I get my product tested. Spinning hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of material in enamel coated rust barrel seems like a corner I don't need to cut. With that said, that thing is awesome! Nice work.

BTW, I am super paranoid about cross contamination. Every strain I trim, I then clean the room, snips, buckets, bins and trimmers. Then off to the next strain. If one strain has mold that some how transfers over to clean material, that costs me huge! One nug tests bad, the entire 20 lbs that follow are now worthless. (black market she goes, lol)

I really like durable equipment, with smooth surfaces, that can be cleaned easily. Can't tell you how many thousands of dollars I have spend on canna equipment that needed to be replaced almost right away. It's like buying tools, my 12" sliding dewalt miter saw I bought 15 years ago. Still one of my best and most accurate tools. Usually, you get what you pay for. However in this industy, even then there are some major fails. I had zero luck with APE pollen spinner for various reasons. Spent like 500+ on a shiny, clean, great looking pollen tumbler, that now sits in the corner. BTW, for sale if anybody wants it, lol. I have the best sale pitches. (just kidding about being on sale, TOU violation I am sure)

EsterEssence

Veteran
Yea it has some surface rust, but the inside is what matters, 30 years of service, and still going strong...

HazyBulldog

30 years! Wow. Way ahead of your time, and still, many units on the market are far less effective. Nice work.

I really like the old school timer. That could pass for a bomb in any Hollywood movie. Bomb extracts, lol.

plantingplants

EE, that thing looks like a steam punk themed time machine or something. Thirty years, awesome .

Thanks for the link hazy. We collected some kief yesterday and tried pressing a half ounce at a time. It all came out pretty greenish brown, even when we switched over to 73u instead of 220u. Tried lower and higher temps but no diff in color. Yield seemed highest with 260 for a whole minute. The press is a d nail that really doesnt have much pressure. Cant find a number but i think its under a ton.

Do kief presses come out dark in general?

EsterEssence

Veteran
That is an old darkroom timer. I've been told it looks like a bomb, it has produced lots of bomb kief...

silver hawaiian

Veteran
EE, that thing looks like a steam punk themed time machine or something. Thirty years, awesome .

Thanks for the link hazy. We collected some kief yesterday and tried pressing a half ounce at a time. It all came out pretty greenish brown, even when we switched over to 73u instead of 220u. Tried lower and higher temps but no diff in color. Yield seemed highest with 260 for a whole minute. The press is a d nail that really doesnt have much pressure. Cant find a number but i think its under a ton.

Do kief presses come out dark in general?

In my limited experience, the kif I had squished was dark too. That time, it was sifted with dry ice, FWIW. Someone later mentioned that part of the dry ice exposure/process causes the resulting rosin to be pretty dark.

Was yours dry ice'd too, or just shaken? I'm wondering if that color is actually attributable to the dry ice, or if it's something else.

plantingplants

It was dry ice! Time for another test.

This press sucks tho. Barely hitting 10% yield on kief! Also have no idea what we are doing though :D

HazyBulldog

Kief is a different animal.

Temps 160-180.

Super slow squish. Suuuuuppppeeeer slow. Hit it slow, keep applying pressure slow, then max out after a good 2 minutes before you get the hang of things.

My kief squishes come out very similar to the nugs, although often glassier. Color tells me you are too hot. The bags do seem to push some kief out, working on that. When I hit the nail, there is often more residue left on the nail then flower rosin. I attribute that to actual plant material being pushed out.

Picarus

Temp can change the color but it can also be genetic. Same with he final product being shatter consistency. What temp are you doing flower presses? Starting to fool around with some ol testers not being smoked

HazyBulldog

So, when just pressing for wholesale.

Flower 210-230, strain and moisture dependent.
Kief 180

Cup entries, personal stash. (much lower yields)

Flower 180-190
Kief as low as 150.

EsterEssence

Veteran
So I have been tumbling, in my old drum, pressing with my waffle iron press, and making some killer rosin. The lighter one is a 3 min tumble the darker 30 min. Both have been stored at room temp pressed out last Sunday. You can see thy are both marbling and turning to budder. The variety is a blue dream x bubba kush I have been pollen chucking around with. They look like polished rock. Temp for pressing is 180 for 1 min...

Attachments

• DSCN1022.jpg
    DSCN1022.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN1185.jpg
    DSCN1185.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN1187.jpg
    DSCN1187.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN1160.jpg
    DSCN1160.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 9

Picarus

Thanks Hazy,
I tried pressing some flower patties yesterday at 180-190 and got a pretty good result. At a higher temp it was much darker and oily in consistency. I have found that the ideal temp seems to fluctuate between diff cultivars too. Thanks for the benchmarks tho.

RoostaPhish

Veteran
The color/degradation of the material used also dictates the final products color. We have been pressing scissor/finger hash a lot lately, and obviously it always comes out dark regardless of temps.

plantingplants

BTW, I am super paranoid about cross contamination. Every strain I trim, I then clean the room, snips, buckets, bins and trimmers. Then off to the next strain. If one strain has mold that some how transfers over to clean material, that costs me huge! One nug tests bad, the entire 20 lbs that follow are now worthless. (black market she goes, lol)

How can one nug represent twenty pounds? Dirty OR clean!

HazyBulldog

Cause I am sitting at the counter at the dispensary, they take 20 lbs of lets say Hazybulldog OG. They test one nug, of that HazyBulldog OG. A week later that 20 lbs is waiting for me to pick it back up, failed. Knock on wood, has yet to happen to me. However, that is why I am careful. 1 bad nug can = 20 lbs of garbage. Sad but true.

Think about if you test positive for salmonella poisoning if you are selling lettuce...... RECALL!!!