What's new

How to Score in Johannesburg south Africa

R

Ronley

When I was visiting South Africa a few years ago there appeared in the local press an article about drugs and dealers etc. - This letter that I wrote to the newspaper says it all:

14 July 1993

Dear Mr Jowel.

I am an ex South African presently on a short visit to S.A. As I have been out of the country for over six years, I had no idea where I would be able to score dagga from. My friends who helped me when I used to stay here had left. The situation was very dry and most depressing.

Imagine my delight when on July the 6, 1993 the front page of the Tribune provided me with all the details. I would like to personally thank you for your most informative article. You provided me with an address, price list, shopping list and a description of whom I could approach.

Armed with all these details I headed off to Rocky Street this afternoon. Exactly where you stated, stood a truly friendly Rastafarian. This Rastafarian, now joyfully provides all us depressed and dried out individuals with a most necessary service. The networks of Yeoville dealers are reaping the fanatical rewards of their new found publicity. Yes, our Rastafarian did ask me what my preferences were; the price was indeed R40 for the Swazi seedless. You did not however mention the importance of bargaining, Swazi seedless can in fact be bought for R30 plus the R5 necessary as a payment for our Rastafarians efforts, as he too needed to make a profit for bringing me to the main dealer.

The goods were of superior quality, and I am sure the best in the country if not the western world. Many thanks to you for providing your readers with such accurate and worthwhile news and information this week and every week.

I would dearly like to continue with a correspondence, but as it is not expedient to do so, I shall refrain from giving my full name.

Thanking you most sincerely

From a Stoned and grateful reader.

i don't get it? u were an ex-president of sa? and u admitted that in a letter to a newspaper where u were thanking them for telling u where to score??. or am i just readiung this wrong

T_h

R

Ronley

The article was MOST informative. Honestly It said it all. I wish that I still had that article. too post as well.
The funniest thing was that this letter that I wrote to the editor was published in the next issure of the Tribune, complete and unedited.
The editors comment was "My pleasure!"

R

Ronley

What was (might still be) the main smoke in Johannesburg when I was there in the '80s

What was (might still be) the main smoke in Johannesburg when I was there in the '80s

the REAL DURBAN POISON.
If anyone has ever smoked it it is an amazing strain quite unlike any other that i have ever smoked since then.
The high is extremely uplifting, relaxing and suddenly everything is funny, and so it is impossible to stop laughing.
I grew up in Johannesburg in the 80's and DP, Swazi Gold, Transkei and Malawi cob was what was mainly available.

The DP was (or may still be I dont know) sold 20 sticks per pack. Each stick was enough for 2 joints mixed with tobacco, and was usually enough to make 4 people extremly stoned. After unravelling these brown papers sticks we would burn the brown paper - always, No leaving of any tell tail signs.

Oviously the DP came in from Durban. Hence its name, and there were always seeds in the buds. Not many usually about 4 or 5. Only when I was in Amsterdam did I see weed that was completely and utterly sinsemillia. And now of course my own.

Swazi Gold came in Bankies. Those zip lock plastic bags that if we went to the bank and got a whole lot of coins then it would be given in a plastic bag with the name of the bank written on it- ( I have only ever seen this in S.A.). Anyway the Swazi came in theses bags With Standard Bank or Barclays bank printed in white on the plastic. I think that they were aprox. 12X15 cm large. and they were STUFFED with buds, of course the buds were stuffed with seeds, but the quality was fantastic. When I left South Africa in 1987 the price for one of these bankies was R15-R20. But I believe the price has gone up. (see a separate thread in the travel section entitled "How to score in JHB") obviously as it has been almost 20 years since.

Malawi Gold was cured iinside bamboo. They split a bamboo stick in half (lengthways) the inside is hollow and then they would fill the inside with weed, close it up again with the other half and tie the two together with hemp twine.
Now that was something else and it was also a lot more harder to score- You really had to have a contact to get that stuff. You could not just go to the Black Rasta on the street corner and score Malawi. usually the Rastas had the Swazi, DP and Transkei.
The cost of Malawi cob was close to R100. and lasted for quite a while. It is apparenlty very similar to Tai, But I dont know for sure. It sure looks similar, but one needs compare the 2.

R

Ronley

And how much is it for the Malawi?

I understand that Rocky street and the Brow are not the places to go for a score?

Ahh the good old days.

G

my mother inlaw is in SA for about 2 months doubt she would score me some herb though, lol

bushmaster

Used to go to school in Yeovil, Rocky street of long old memories. I visited S.A. last year, first time i have been back for many years, old Rocky St is not was it was. Hey Ronley, maybe we were next door neighbours, 80's was my time before i ducked out into the green pastures of England.

daggaman

Thats well funny man. So durban poison is actulay grown in durban? I've never smoked it before, but i've tried swazi and transkei and they're excellent. Do you know anything else about DP? I used to live near Durban but that was a long time ago, I wonder where abouts they would grow it, in the city, or on the outskirts, or on in the country around Durban on farms and stuff?

8cyril8

Sometimes you can find some great info in the newspaper.
But generaly when it's in the newspaper it's too late.
Great reading your story

panamajuice

I was in Johanesburg in 2002, I stayed one night on my way to Cape town. I was in Kenya and Tanzania for a safari with my family. In Nairobi I scored the worst weed I've ever smoked!, It was rolled joints and after opening them I realize it was all shake... tried again with some other driver and got the same bad weed....

Spent almost a month without any weed until we got to Cape Town, there our driver hooked me up with some nice weed, nothing special althou it was pure joy for me after spending a month without any.

PazVerdeRadical

all praises are due to the Most High
Veteran
hello Ronley, very funny letter you wrote! :D but i am surprised they actually published it and even replied to it by saying "my pleasure" !!!! hahahahaha!
way to go, you just took their article intended for other purposes and turned it up-side down and gave it a positive vibe. peace and health!

getafix

Lots of old south africans mmm

One place to score good weed, albeit somewhat risky, is Corlett turnoff. You just follow the roadsigns to Sandton and after about 2km you'll find a Shell filling station. There are always a few weed dealers. Mostly they have medium to high quality buds.

I've managed to find dealers from TV shows (Carte Blanch and Special assignment) revealing the state of drugs in the country as well.

Last edited:
Bruma lake outside the flea market. You'll be approached. Negotiate.
You'll get pretty much the usual, Swaz, DP etc. You need to be switched on though. These guys feel nothing about stiffing a dipshit.

That will get you sorted in a pinch. I've only ever had to buy off these blokes once before and they passed me a bankie of Jat. Jat is what we call shit. They weren't expecting me to open up right there and inspect the goods. I did, and called them on it and eventually got what I wanted.
They still recognise me, as I go through there often. :D
You'll pretty much get offered gear in the weirdest situations, and it really isn't hard hooking up. I was waiting to meet someone outside a mall, and got clocked as a smoker by a bloke who now hooks me up with better than average indicas. Also, nightclubs. @115 (115 Anderson street downtown) was a nice place to score, not sure about now. Nexus is a good place to meet new friends who can hook you up (They have a balcony where smokers congregate without interference from security and you have a view of the only access point so you know when the fuzz pitch up), and pretty much most people at Trancesky in Melville. Who knows, you might actually meet me on the off chance and then you're set! I'm a nice bloke. :D

I really miss 206 live. That place had a smoker policy second to none. You could skin up and smoke at their back bar and people were never shy about passing left.
Good times.

getafix

I also miss 206 alot. Is nexus still around? Saw many a monday morning sunrises there... When I was a student still. Never could believe some of those people dressing their work clothes right there and zipping off to work :yoinks: