What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How To Reveg

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
Doesn't anybody here think it is just faster to cut a clone off of the flowering plant and reveg that? I do it with no problems and it sure doesn't take 45 days.

No, I don't think it is faster.

If you're talking about taking a cutting in early flower, that's one thing. Of course it will re-veg 'faster', since it is not as far into flowering.

But that is not typically a reveg situation. If you're taking a cut in early flower, you've already identified traits that have lead you to believe it is a mom candidate.

A reveg scenario usually occurs in late flower or at harvest. Usually for me it is a seed run with a pheno that surprised me. At that point, it is no faster to take a cutting. The whole plant is in the same flowering stage, and it's all going to take all of it the same amount of time to metabolize those flowering hormones.

By taking a clone then, you're still facing the same reveg time, plus rooting time. And your cutting may fail, leaving you without the genes anyway.

Not to mention, you'd be cloning away a flowering limb... at harvest.

Basically, the two techniques aren't necessarily interchangeable. You're either in a reveg situation, or a clloning situation, rarely are you in both.

flyer

tiger- yes i get what you are saying, its not the same situation.

superusa has a point tho, i think it is faster to just cut a clone off when they in flower and clone to make it faster for harvest again rather than reveg it again with the same plant then wait for to harvest.

but then again, this threat is about revegging

superusa

No, I don't think it is faster.

If you're talking about taking a cutting in early flower, that's one thing. Of course it will re-veg 'faster', since it is not as far into flowering.

But that is not typically a reveg situation. If you're taking a cut in early flower, you've already identified traits that have lead you to believe it is a mom candidate.

A reveg scenario usually occurs in late flower or at harvest. Usually for me it is a seed run with a pheno that surprised me. At that point, it is no faster to take a cutting. The whole plant is in the same flowering stage, and it's all going to take all of it the same amount of time to metabolize those flowering hormones.

By taking a clone then, you're still facing the same reveg time, plus rooting time. And your cutting may fail, leaving you without the genes anyway.

Not to mention, you'd be cloning away a flowering limb... at harvest.

Basically, the two techniques aren't necessarily interchangeable. You're either in a reveg situation, or a clloning situation, rarely are you in both.

I take clones 6+ weeks into bloom and I have no problems. And it doesn't take very long to reveg them at all. I would bet that I could cut a flowering clone, reveg it, and grow it to the same size or larger than a whole plant in the same amount of time. From my experience smaller cuttings reveg alot faster than a whole plant. So while some people are revegging a plant for 45 days, i would rather cut a clone, reveg it in 2 weeks, and then veg it for 30 days...check my RDWC in the hydro section.

Also from my experience...if you want to reveg a clone (even onbe late into flower) there are 2 keys..first is to root it under low light so that it roots quickly. second is to pound it with light once it is rooted. I drop the lights down right on top of the rooted clone (and low humitidy) and i have had pretty good success with bringing them back into veg in quick time.

G

Guest 88950

i took a clone late in flower and put the cutting in Worm Castings until it had re-vegged and sarted normal growth then transplanted into organic soil (too hot for clones). it took almost 6 wks before i could see roots through the clear green solo cups.

i bet it would reveg faster using a bubble cloner but im not sure b/c i just made a bubble cloner and no need to take a cutting from a flowering girl right now.

i did very little to the revegging clone. i misted it daily until the roots started forming, no humidity dome and it went directly under 24/0 light, two 24 watt cfl's.

my re-vegged plant is bushier than its mom, tons of trichs and in 10-14 days she will get thee ax and then after she dries ill test the quality to see if it degraded.

i cant see how a revegged plant can be less potent unless the grower does something different, it the same genetics. if you believe different please explain how this could be.

NiteTiger

Veteran
I take clones 6+ weeks into bloom and I have no problems. And it doesn't take very long to reveg them at all. I would bet that I could cut a flowering clone, reveg it, and grow it to the same size or larger than a whole plant in the same amount of time. From my experience smaller cuttings reveg alot faster than a whole plant. So while some people are revegging a plant for 45 days, i would rather cut a clone, reveg it in 2 weeks, and then veg it for 30 days...check my RDWC in the hydro section.

Also from my experience...if you want to reveg a clone (even onbe late into flower) there are 2 keys..first is to root it under low light so that it roots quickly. second is to pound it with light once it is rooted. I drop the lights down right on top of the rooted clone (and low humitidy) and i have had pretty good success with bringing them back into veg in quick time.

I'd like to see the pictures of your 6 week buds going back into full veg in 2 weeks. Revegging is not when the clones have roots. Revegging is when they have gone from single bladed leaves back to full leaves and producing new branches.

That's not happening in two weeks, period. You're not undoing six weeks of flowering hormones in 1/3 the time.

Your plants aren't actually back in full veg in two weeks. They do it over the course of the whole 45 days you described. Which, as was mentioned, is typical.

You're firmly rooted in two weeks, and over the course of the total 45 days you mentioned, it revegs.

It is no faster. If you were to put a whole plant, not just clones, under veg lighting for 45 days, it would reveg in the same amount of time.

Clones reveg no faster than a whole plant does.

NiteTiger

Veteran
i bet it would reveg faster using a bubble cloner but im not sure b/c i just made a bubble cloner and no need to take a cutting from a flowering girl right now.

The cloning method does not effect reveg time. It may decrease rooting time, but it doesn't effect the hormones in the plant.

Roots/rooting != reveg.

J

JackTheGrower

Med420-

Awesome!! One of the best threads around!! :lurk:

After reading through, I was wondering what would happen if you didn't trim the rootball back? Just partially harvested and switched back to 20/4. Does the plant need new root growth to support new leaf growth?

Once again.....great thread!! :woohoo:

Bh

I think u run the risk of "root rot" if u dont trim some back....plus u should transplant anyway to get them into a new vegetative mix. I'm sure u could pull it off otherwise, but it wont be ideal.

I am in the Biological state here where I swore to follow the no till method so I cannot cut the root mass.

I wonder if I can integrate my experiences with this thread.. Adds a dimension don't you think?

Root Rot would be an allowed aspect but the real question is are these 250's enough to "hang?"

NiteTiger

Veteran
As long as the plant is healthy, there will be no root rot. The roots don't die when the plant gets cut. They're still there, and they're fine, there are just more than the plant now needs. So, you can trim the rootball back considerably, and move down a size in or two in container size, so it takes up less room in the veg area.

It is not essential or required. You can do nothing but trim it down to just a couple of popcorn buds and stick in the veg cab, and it will reveg. And you can reveg under any size light.

J

JackTheGrower

Hey NiteTiger

That's sound advice..
Also i find kelp tea or tonic helps with transplant shock.

superusa

I'd like to see the pictures of your 6 week buds going back into full veg in 2 weeks. Revegging is not when the clones have roots. Revegging is when they have gone from single bladed leaves back to full leaves and producing new branches.

That's not happening in two weeks, period. You're not undoing six weeks of flowering hormones in 1/3 the time.

Your plants aren't actually back in full veg in two weeks. They do it over the course of the whole 45 days you described. Which, as was mentioned, is typical.

You're firmly rooted in two weeks, and over the course of the total 45 days you mentioned, it revegs.

It is no faster. If you were to put a whole plant, not just clones, under veg lighting for 45 days, it would reveg in the same amount of time.

Clones reveg no faster than a whole plant does.

Maybe that doesn't happen for you, but it sure does for me. I think you should look at my old grow thread you can see EXACTLY how fast it took my clones to reveg (and by that i mean lose the leaf deformities and return to normal vegetative growth). I disagree with your logic completely from my experience, but it could be due to differences in growing methods. To each his own and I don't presume to be the end all be all of growing by any means, but on the other hand, I don't assume that things can't be done because somebody on the internet says it is impossible. FYI I am currently running 4 master kuch in my RDWC in ~80* water with NO root rot or other issues. But alot of people here say that it can't be done. Don't take it the wrong way I am not flaming or anything, but take a look at my thread and see what I mean. It can be done and is faster overall (for me).

To the OP, try it for yourself, there is no substitute for personal experience, plus plants vary from strain to strain and pheno to pheno.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=164213

There is my old grow thread showing some revegg. Look at page 4 for a recap....

Pow3rBall

It may be posted in here somewhere, forgive my laziness if it is. But, once re-vegged, will the bud in the 2nd flower cycle be less potent that the first harvest?

dsnutts

Thanks for the info guys!:thank you: For new hobbiest such as me this info is invaluble, I have a beautiful little girl who i hated the fact i was going to have to harvest her! now I can save her:jump: she will be "THE" mother for all my future grows....

diamondmine

Nobody has asked this yet- What is the size potential?

For example; I flowered a plant outside in the winter/spring and it only grew 6 inches tall, it is now revegging. Could it now grow to be 6 feet tall???

NiteTiger

Veteran
Nobody has asked this yet- What is the size potential?

For example; I flowered a plant outside in the winter/spring and it only grew 6 inches tall, it is now revegging. Could it now grow to be 6 feet tall???

The size potential is the same as when it was vegging before. How big do you want to let it get?

Kushed

Hey guys, so heres my deal....

I went away on a trip and came back to flowering plants, the plants were already going to go outside, so I planted them on 7/12. They've definitely got new growth and weird leafs. And now today marks the first day of flowering, my question is, should I leave the old buds on the plants, or are they pretty much useless? They are decent sized buds, so I didnt want to cut them off, but if they are going to hinder the growth of new bud then off they go!

Thanks guys

Dicomaco

One of the best reads ever!

I'm in the last week of flower. Out of 5 Chronics, the 2 that I didn't take clones off, look like they are going to yield the most. The problem is that I trimmed off the entire 1/3 from bottom up off, so there are no tiny popcorn branches at the bottom. Still naturally the bottom most branches on my plants are popcorn compared to the big colas.

Question is, should this method still work, even though the potentional revegging flower material is placed so high on the stem?

Latest posts

Latest posts