What's new

how to properly exhaust?

snapfrost

I am debating how to exhaust my setup. it will be a 2000 watt setup for now. (eventually it will be upgraded to 3 or 4k) it is in the basement of a ranch style house. there will be a 39" carbon filter with a 900 cfm inline fan exhausting the 10x12 basement room. I am going to run 10" ventilation tubing up through the floor and ceiling and either out the chimney, into the attic, or i will install an exhaust for an attic fan on the roof but instead run my exhaust through it. let me know if i am being vague or more details are required.

these are my concerns.

1. the hot air coming out the chimney will look suspicious at
certain of the year. also it will be a long run to the chimney,
over 18 feet.

2. venting into the attic may look strange if it causes snow to melt
in unusual spots. it may pose smell issues if the carbon filter
does not work 100%.

3. the vent on top of the roof may look strange when hot air is
coming out of it in the middle of the winter.

all experience and input is welcome!

MIway

Veteran
yup... that's about right. same issues venting out a window.

but with 2k, you could run the tubing such that it warms the rest of the interior of the house... w/o going to the outside. my bet is this.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
Get a portable A/C. (I saw several on craigslist the other day for ~$150 a piece, or you can get a 10,000 btu model starting at about $300 new.)

Vent the grow exhaust through the filter into a room in the house and then put the portable A/C in that room to combat the increase in heat.

nukklehead

Use to vent up the chimney without filter until I got good at what I was doing then stinky too much.

1st.. what else is venting out your chimney water heater, furnace etc.
My chimney is only big enough for one 6 inch exhaust kit, so when I went to a gas tankless water heater, I had to sleeve the chimney and that was that. ( I have electric furnace) no more room.

I have since filtered ( thank god) the air and bored a 6 inch hole in the foundation, put pvc pipe though and re mortered back up. Next to that, 4 inch pvc goes through and is my clothes dryer vent. All exits in a discrete little corner of my house next to the central a/c unit. Nothing looks out of place. Not that I rely on it, but the clothes dryer
exhaust helps in mixing up the exhaust fumes. If anyone were to hear the fan noise they would think it is the clothes dryer running. Unfortunately had the ultimate test last summer when marshalls were surrounding the area going through the yard to catch a crackhead in the house behind me. Frequent po po are on foot and bicycles around here monitoring the crackhouse behind me.
Oh gods of Karma dont fail me ( Im a good dude) but I am pretty confident of my setup. I grow 1K in a small room in the basement.

If you have the luxury of a baffle room that is great ( I dont and have to go straight outside) Running a new exhaust through the roof is probably as hard as boring foundation holes, but hey, 5 years from now I dont have to re black jack cus of roof leaks. No one
will notice additional "steam" in winter months coming from your roof. Too natural these days. Venting into an attic has a whole
slew of problems that I wont even get into and dont recommend.

Dont know your setup precisely but my advice is to get the air
filtered and out of the house ASAP however you do it.

Isnt growing fun!!!:dance013:

I

Iron_Lion

2. venting into the attic may look strange if it causes snow to melt
in unusual spots. it may pose smell issues if the carbon filter
does not work 100%.

This is a bad idea, last winter was a night mare for me as I was venting my 600 into my attic. Even with record snow fall I still had odd looking bald spots on my roof.

To me it looks very suspicious to have one strange bald spot and the rest of the roof was still covered in snow even tho my girlfriend said not to worry about it. This winter I have a 1k ina bed room bud plan on reversing the ventilation set up and intaking cold air from the attic into the tent and exhausting warm air back in to the room.

My theory is in the dead of winter very little cold air should be needed to cool the room and even with the hot air from the tent exhausting in to the room I hope to keep ambient at about 70.

Another option I have considered is running a flexible duct thru the attic to an existing heat vent of another room, removing the actual heat vent and connecting my flexi duct and using the grow to heat the house.

Dislexus

the shit spoon
Veteran
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

This thread jogged me to rethink my ventillation plan.

Was just about to buy some shit too

Put it this way, I don't have to worry about snow when exhausting to attic... but what about FLIR?

I do plan on lining my attic with the heat reflecting shit in the future...

In the meantime I have a spare 4" centrifugal I can vent the attic air out the roof, cycling outside air in.. that might help with FLIR, a bit..

(9.5'x6.5' closet)Intake@bathroomfartfanvent>> clone/tempveg/drying chamber>> mommas>> flower>> dual scrubbers>> fan on low speed >> ozone generator>> bafflebox>> attic

(9.5'x6.5' closet)Intake@fartfanroofvent>> air filter>> fan>> air-cooled reflectors>> attic

(in attic) basic air filter>> fan>> another roofvent that never gets used

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... itching to use a craptastic portable a/c and exhaust to attic but that would probably leak smell

nukklehead, what were those other problems you ran into venting into the attic? Mold? with ozone maybe i can avoid that... maaaaybe

maaaaaaaaan fuck the above setup that shit is flawed cuz i'd be combining ozone+humidity=nitric acid... can't be venting that shit in my attic..

Last edited:

Granger2

Veteran
I only vent lamp cooling out of my room. Intake from floor, thru lamps, out to attic. The hot air vents into attic about 18" from top of [gas] water heater closet. Water heater is vented thru flew pipe thru roof with typical cover on flew pipe. Ceiling above water heater closet is wire mesh creating a broad hotspot to prying infrared.

Maybe I shouldn't, but I feel safe about it. Anyone think otherwise?

A person with a similar situation could tie into water heater flew. -granger

nukklehead

I only vent lamp cooling out of my room. Intake from floor, thru lamps, out to attic. The hot air vents into attic about 18" from top of [gas] water heater closet. Water heater is vented thru flew pipe thru roof with typical cover on flew pipe. Ceiling above water heater closet is wire mesh creating a broad hotspot to prying infrared.

Maybe I shouldn't, but I feel safe about it. Anyone think otherwise?

A person with a similar situation could tie into water heater flew. -granger

Granger.. it if aint broke dont fix it.. but yeah.. im no hvac/plumber but i can see maybe with a 45 degree Y pipe or whatever works, you could "splice" into that and make it work for ya:tiphat: Just make sure gas isnt being blown back inside

Granger2

Veteran
nuk,
Thanks for the reassurance. Yeah, I'm leery of messing with the water heater exhaust set up. Could create a dangerous situation. Thanks. -granger

Red Fang

Veteran
IF you do have to vent, why would venting out a chimney look suspicious? Isn't it true that hot air venting out a chimney is not abnormal? wood stoves, water heaters and other things commonly vented out a chimney? It seems like a better option than an attic to me. What if in the middle of nowhere on a hill? The air coming out the chimney would go up, over everyone and no smell would ever be noticed? Odor control may not be necessary then? of course you should still use it to be safe, but can you confirm or refute what I said?

nukklehead

IF you do have to vent, why would venting out a chimney look suspicious? Isn't it true that hot air venting out a chimney is not abnormal? wood stoves, water heaters and other things commonly vented out a chimney? It seems like a better option than an attic to me. What if in the middle of nowhere on a hill? The air coming out the chimney would go up, over everyone and no smell would ever be noticed? Odor control may not be necessary then? of course you should still use it to be safe, but can you confirm or refute what I said?

Yes I can confirm and refute that.. :) Hot air coming from a house is no big deal in the winter visually.. as far as Im concerned not worried about FLIR.. If they have enough evidence to FLIR ya.. your concerns are greater then thou... As far as venting up chimney and non scrubbed odor.. DUDE you cant believe how bad that smells ...
my .o2..DONT DO IT!!

Red Fang

Veteran
thanks for the response! I am just discussing possibilities/hypotheticals here. On that note, say your chimney is 200 feet above the neighbors which are a 1000 feet off or more. Once the air reaches that distance away, is it still 200 feet up? Less? More? If it was still above their roofs, how would they smell it? If you already had an ozone generator that covers 1000 cu ft. , would you put it inside a sj150 tent or would it work to put it near the intake so it won't take the odor out of the buds but just the room?

Granger2

Veteran
Fang,

It doesn't seem like it would be a problem 1000 ft. away, but consider smell if someone came up your driveway.

I would put the generator inline just up the chimney. Good luck. -granger

nukklehead

sorry for the scientific approach here.... welll..... just walk around nightly during flowering especially in late stages... your nose knows... p.s so does LEO.. your call but I say filter to be safe..:)

Red Fang

Veteran
nukkleheD, what scientific process? Isn't that where you devise a hypothesis and then prove or disprove that? I asked where the air would go: up, down or straight over the distance of 1000 ft and at a height of at least 200 ft above the level of other houses? You did not answer that but give me a smug non-answer. I wasn't saying you are wrong, just asking you to prove/disprove your hypothesis. thanks

snapfrost

Thanks for all of the great responses! i am leaning towards venting out the roof. what is the situation with flir? I was under the impression that they would periodically drive around and use this on homes? do they only bring this out if you are under investigation?
thanks again for all of the help

nukklehead

nukkleheD, what scientific process? Isn't that where you devise a hypothesis and then prove or disprove that? I asked where the air would go: up, down or straight over the distance of 1000 ft and at a height of at least 200 ft above the level of other houses? You did not answer that but give me a smug non-answer. I wasn't saying you are wrong, just asking you to prove/disprove your hypothesis. thanks

Never meant to imply a scientific process... sorry.. all I am saying is the nose knows... not to be smug... When I didnt filter up a chimney we had a prob. with locals ( crackhouse behind me) .. We had LEO at the door. Long story but one of them said.. "Yeah I can smell they were smoking weed" and we both looked UP.. did I say UP!! At the apartment behind us. Unknown to them it was my exhaust ( unfiltered) they were smelling through the chimney!! ( that was my scientific process to never vent without filters ever again!!!) Hey if you have the distance and space I m sure its not a prob. go for it.. Above situation is why I insist on filtering. To each is own bro.... wish I had the space you do.. Just do a nose check.. Kind of like the finger check when you were young before going down on it!!!!!!!:jump: