What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to Properly Cure your Buds - Dry and Jar Method

G

guest123

gidday gents i see a lot of trouble to keep your product ":perfect" ..... i salute you all , but dont have the time to go to the trouble you guys do ... seems the climate and time of year to dry makes a fair diff ,, i hate drying in winter ,, too slow for me ...
i harvest large arm length colas , keeping the stalks intact , due to the heat here (up and over 100 f) , they dry to touch in around 4 days , at that point i begin to trim leaves and stalks away , while the buds continue to absorb and disapate the moisture remaining in the stalks .. usually take me a few further day s to finish the prune to a week .. so we are looking at around 10 days from harvest to dry .... i dont really like jars cause they are hard to get my large hands into ... i realise many of you are keeping your personal stash , often i am not ... the only difference ive found with keeping the bud any longer curing is a little bit of taste and smoothness ,, sometimes neglagable .. as for potency i cant tell the difference , so must be very slight as far as i can tell ...

Hi y'all,

I've read so much about curing and whether it increases the potency.

The challage of using the internet for research is that you have to draw your own conclusions. (Because there are so many ill-informed or just plain stupid people out here, who try to make you believe that they have heard it from God.)

My conclusion is that potency by the gram does not go up, but that potency per hit does. In other words, if the smoke is smoother, then you can take a bigger hit. What was three hit pot when it was green and harsh is now two hit pot, because you can do a bigger hit.

Sensible, no? I'm sure a majority will disagree with my conclusion, for a wide variety of reasons, but trust me, I am always right about everything.

peace, love, understanding and let's invade Canada next ;-)

G

pretty much agree, but i think potency does increase, 2 months curing ideal. mybeans post was very good. i remember something about more precursers being available. my opinion is it gets better with time as many things do, patience. (not saying i'm perfect, most of my buds get smoked before 2 months).

PNW_grown

Veteran
dont know if anyone said this yet, but gypsy told me that pizza boxes work very well just like the paper grocery bags, and you can lay out the buds in rows, get a good look at em' :)

Dr Watt

Who What
I reckon the main factor is time. The next factors are mild temps and absence of excessive air exposure. So I reckon plastic shopping bags and time works perfectly. js.

Last edited:

hpnotiq grower

hiii

hiii

When people say flush u do it a wk before u chop them down, and you just spray the plant with water? Wicked confused on this...

Dr. D

Veteran
Seems to b the way

Seems to b the way

All of my dry weed is in jars now hope fully this lot will last out the month bfore it gets smoked lol

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Assumption on my part

Assumption on my part

But I have taken flushing to mean a full blown watering that flushes as many of the salts out of the root ball through water soaking (leaching) and draining.

T

G

You are correct PTD

I go to strait r/o or distilled water the last 10 days or so. Sometimes I use a flushing agent and sometimes just strait water

Tex

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
PNW_grown said:
dont know if anyone said this yet, but gypsy told me that pizza boxes work very well just like the paper grocery bags, and you can lay out the buds in rows, get a good look at em' :)

F'n thank u, do u know, i was just thinkig about using pizza boxes.

Dr. D

Veteran
jar curing

jar curing

Well my weed has been in the fridge in coffee jars for three weeks or more now and wow flavour and smell explosion compared witrh all other weed i hav just dried. iv got a jar full of my mr nice shit (skunky pheno) and its got this really citrusy smell and fruity taste completely different to the way it smelled wen i put it in there, it deffinatley works well. :canabis:

Pizza boxes... Those who have used them... do you ask the local pizza place for a couple extra boxes? I didn't think anyone was using "used" pizza boxes. :smile:

G

I am too glad to see this thread. I just wish the peeps in my neck of the woods would read this. I will spread the word. Love it Jubei

vs_cliqua_x3 said:
thank you

Why are all your posts worthless? Your post count just went from 20-30 in less then 5 minutes and you have nothing to say.

Keep spitting out worthless posts you have to have atleast 50 posts to enter our lottery.
Actually if you dont have anything to say please leave our community.
And please stop using 4 posts to write one sentence. People like you drive me crazy. Please leave.

Sorry for the hijack of the thread.This dude is just driving me crazy!

G

flipmastermike said:
Why are all your posts worthless? Your post count just went from 20-30 in less then 5 minutes and you have nothing to say.

Keep spitting out worthless posts you have to have atleast 50 posts to enter our lottery.
Actually if you dont have anything to say please leave our community.
And please stop using 4 posts to write one sentence. People like you drive me crazy. Please leave.

Sorry for the hijack of the thread.This dude is just driving me crazy!
You're not alone, flipmastermike. And what makes it so bad is that the guy's an asshole in most of the posts. Real intelligent, vswhatever.

Blowmonkey

Actually, decarboxylation is minimal and not completely necessary to get full potential. THC content DOES increase if curing is done right because CBG is still being converted into THC, althought this also is minimal and you can neglect it even happens. What's more important is the polycyclic aromatizatation of different terpenoids that occurs and the loss of many other compounds that make taste and potency optimal during curing.

G

Wonderful thread and Great fun Thanks all for the many tips and fun. I usually just cut my buds right off the plants at harvest and hang them out in the open, like on coat rack via hanger or in a closet open to air. They are dry in 3 to 4 days then they go into jars and are burped everyday. Is it BAd to dry in the daylight? I here that messes with the color of your smoke? Peace

johnstreet said:
1. Ideally, dry stem just short of stem snapping IMO but to stem snapping is OK. I like to work with a little bit of moisture.

johnsTreet.

me too.. most think I am CRAZY when I say jar before snapping.. you want the drying to take as long as possible.. granted paper bags gives you a little more forgivness than jars, but I wont change my ways till I see mold... *knocks on wood