What's new

How to process the trim?

EOE

I just completed my first harvest. Yay! But my question is about the trim. I intend to use the trim to make cannabutter. Does it have to be dried and cured like the buds? Or can I throw it in the oven and start the butter-making process without drying and curing first?

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I decarb in the boil. I use plenty of water and boil for three hours, then strain, squeeze and cool.

Fresh is better if you go directly into liquid.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Not on purpose, and certainly not as a rule.

Plenty of times I will have old trim and popcorn nugs that have dried out but even those runs included plenty of fresh trim from the current harvest.

I really just wanted to point out that you don't need to dry and cure and bake.

Reactions: EOE

Vandenberg

I stuff a canning jar full of quickly air dried trim and popcorn buds, about 3 ounces (90 grams) then frozen as is the 195 proof (97.5%) Alcohol known as Everclear (xxxx-Moonshine). Shake it up for 5 minutes and strain. Be careful to respect the dosing, as this will make you a drooling idiot if overdosed. Don't do a shot-glass full initially or you'll find out about losing your land legs as you stumble around and it ain't the booze. :)

Vandenberg :)

Last edited:

highfidelity

I stuff a canning jar full of quickly air dried trim and popcorn buds, about 3 ounces (90 grams) then frozen as is the 195 proof (97.5%) Alcohol known as Everclear (xxxx-Moonshine). Shake it up for 5 minutes and strain. Be careful to respect the dosing, as this will make you a drooling idiot if overdosed. Don't do a shot-glass full initially or you'll find out about losing your land legs as you stumble around and it ain't the booze. :)

You can also evap off the everclear. Used to do this with QWISO and get an rso like sludge. 0.2g of that in a capsule to anyone without a tolerance will wreck ya

Vandenberg

Carboxylation is a good thing.
I do carboxylate the cannabis, in the canning jar. Its already been free range air dried in a storage tub before loading the canning jar.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I also decarb in the water bath, but I have found fresh means the butter will be greener than when the chlorophill breaks down. My butter ends up pale yellow, with maybe the slightest green tint, only seen in perfect lighting or flash pictures. I cook for 4 to 8 hours on low simmer, a bit under 100C.

highfidelity

I also decarb in the water bath, but I have found fresh means the butter will be greener than when the chlorophill breaks down. My butter ends up pale yellow, with maybe the slightest green tint, only seen in perfect lighting or flash pictures. I cook for 4 to 8 hours on low simmer, a bit under 100C.
I've been doing a nice 180f for 6 hours in a crock pot. Haven't tried the water bath but thats probably a better way to go to keep the temp more stable.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
No, its a way to clean the clorophyll and dust and contaminants from the material. Without water results are gonna be more dirty.