What's new

How to masculinize/defeminize feminized seeds ?

Lebanizer

Hey guys,

Wanted to know if it's possible to make "masculine" seeds out of feminized seeds ? Or at least is it possible to defeminize feminzed seeds. I know sex isn't determined in the plant embryo yet but you get my drift.

I ask because there's a strain of interest to me that only exists as female seeds. I want to reproduce it to keep it going.

Thanks.

El Timbo

Hey guys,

Wanted to know if it's possible to make "masculine" seeds out of feminized seeds ? Or at least is it possible to defeminize feminzed seeds. I know sex isn't determined in the plant embryo yet but you get my drift.

I ask because there's a strain of interest to me that only exists as female seeds. I want to reproduce it to keep it going.

Thanks.

Just to be clear - are you hoping to make regular seeds from feminised seeds?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Unless you outcross to a male of another strain/variety, your only choice is to reverse a female plant to make pollen, and use that on another female plant/plants- but all the seeds will be female too.

VG

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
If you created only male pollen, you could be executed for it. lol

You can't make regular seeds from female only plants.

To be clear, it's impossible to recreate the strain with STS, CS, or any other method. If you spray the plant to "reverse" it, you will create only female pollen/seeds. This will force recessive genes to surface from the momma so the offspring will be a mix of the female parental lineage. So if you reverse a GG4, you'll get a half dozen phenotypes. You could expect Chocolate Diesel, Chem Sister, Sour Dub, or a combination of all the phenos (look for a keeper) and maybe another couple. Note that without male genetic material, these will ALL be female. To recreate a strain, you need the original parents. Even then, you have to grow dozens of offspring and then look for the pheno you're looking for.

But don't be discouraged. Many people find keepers in their tents and keep them going for years via cloning, and some make it out into the wild (strawberry cough). An accidental pollination forced a few plants onto a compost pile. A friend saw the free plants so he rescued them. Enter GG4 & 5.

All that said, there are more time consuming and advanced breeding techniques to revive a strain, but that's a total other topic I'm not familiar with at all.

On a personal note, I have a plant that smells stunningly and *exactly like a strawberry milkshake when you're harvesting her, and it was completely by accident. I have reg seeds (but not the parents).

Lebanizer

Unless you outcross to a male of another strain/variety, your only choice is to reverse a female plant to make pollen, and use that on another female plant/plants- but all the seeds will be female too.

VG

Bummer 😢. I wanted to avoid introducing an external line as it was my original idea and then to dilute that external line through several crosses with other seeds of the same strain.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bummer 😢. I wanted to avoid introducing an external line as it was my original idea and then to dilute that external line through several crosses with other seeds of the same strain.

You can avoid introducing an external line ... but you will have to make fem seeds. They will still be seeds !

Lebanizer

You can avoid introducing an external line ... but you will have to make fem seeds. They will still be seeds !

Mmmm... food for thought. I hadn't envisionned it that way. So you could just keep going with female seeds that way forever right ?

Reactions: Gry

Lebanizer

If you created only male pollen, you could be executed for it. lol

I'm thinking about creating the Cannabis Male Appreciation Society 😂😂😂

But don't be discouraged. Many people find keepers in their tents and keep them going for years via cloning, and some make it out into the wild (strawberry cough). An accidental pollination forced a few plants onto a compost pile. A friend saw the free plants so he rescued them. Enter GG4 & 5.
I have never tried cloning so far, maybe now is the time.

bibi40

Thanks.

i got the same idea about a strain i'm in love , i did the first step with outcross it to another reg strain , now i will start to backcross it with my others adorate female seeds , years after years , will see the results ...

Good luck in your quest !

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mmmm... food for thought. I hadn't envisionned it that way. So you could just keep going with female seeds that way forever right ?
yes, in the same way you could carry in inbreeding male to female forever (although inbreeding also has its complications) . Its a bit more trouble but there are advantages.

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i got the same idea about a strain i'm in love , i did the first step with outcross it to another reg strain , now i will start to backcross it with my others adorate female seeds , years after years , will see the results ...

Good luck in your quest !

That's another good way to go about it !

brock1

I have a auto strain i made from 2 females called Short Hazy Days produced males. I reversed it to make some SHD crosses I shared on forums and the SHD I reversed produced males again while the crosses made in the same greenhouse from the same revered female were all females seeds. I don't know why this happened but its not the first time I have heard of it happening but it makes no sense.

Yagar2000

I found a very interesting link concerning the reversion of a male plant to a female plant. And in the article they even talk about that genetics are better conserved and that there is no risk that future generations will be monoecious.
https://www.kjpr.kr/articles/xml/X0bV/

"(Clarke and Merlin, 2016). Moon et al. (2010) developed a method for producing feminized seeds by inducing the formation of male flowers and pollen on female plants which can be used for self-fertilization of hemp. However, feminized seeds are not suitable for producing unfertilized flowers because the greater the generation of feminized seeds, the higher the ratio of monoecious plants (Faux et al., 2014). If male plants can produce flowers males and females on the same plant, not only can desirable traits be fixed in an early generation, but also dioequity can be maintained. This experiment was carried out to develop a method of self-fertilization through the formation of sufficient quantities of flowers and of female seeds from male dioecious hemp plants at the time of ethephane treatment."

Would that mean that S1 plants made with female plants transformed into males are not viable? So how do breeders keep the dioequity in their feminized seeds? At the end of the article they show seeds from a control plant and another made with the male reversed and we can see the obvious difference in size, the seeds of the control are large like regular seeds on the other hand for the male c It's different, they are very small, exactly like commercial feminized seeds, do bredders use this technique?