What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to make a PVC dripper manifold

Ermahgerd

Great thread!

Been looking into a self watering system and I think i'm going to build my own DIY dripper kit.
Still got loads of reading to do but i'm in no rush.

Thanks!

RamCTD1027

Pico-

If you're still around, I'd be interested in seeing one of your newer drip set-ups using the 4-port manifolds. I used to run your PVC manifolds a few years back and now I'm planning to run drip DTW again and would like to check out the new set up.

Ram

noworries

you guys have any issues with the drippers clogging on these? I am currently using those 8 outlet hubs and man...after a month or so they clog up bad.

OG_TGR

When I search online for these, I get a lot of hits for tattoo rig grommets.

They don't specify the bore but I was wondering if anyone knew if these would work?

It would be nice to get them from a non-agricultural online supplier.

Thinking of building one of these myself. Have done flood drain in the past and want to save on the water bill.
Some food for thought, with the 4 head drip system, I was thinking of running my plumbing through the center of my table, then to a T that goes front to back about a foot, then to another T on both ends, out to a 4 head emitter. Kind of looks like an I in the center of the table with the emitters at the horizontal ends. This way each emitter is the same distance making pressure even if not very close.

billymirage

Hey Pico-
Just wondering what the latest version is and which you prefer after all the modifications.
Is the 4 manifold system mounted to risers on the basic main loop system? Do you have a pic ? Thanks for all of your great info!

ThePizzaMan

Veteran
Just built one of these tonight. Getting the 1/4" line in the grommets was freakin insanely hard to do for me. I feel like if I cut the tip of the line...that it would have slid in better. I didn't learn that until the last one. 8 grommets and line took me like 2 hours.

I could be retarded.

Either way.....Thanks Pico!

TpM

Catatafish

Veteran
Im not sure what "cut the tip" means.....

What made it a lot easier for me was two things:

1. make a cup of hot water (not quite boiling) and drop your top hats in it and let them sit in it for a min or so. This makes them go into the pvc pretty easily.

2. Put the connecter in the drip line first, then here's the majik....spit on the end of the tip of the connector. Slides in the grommet like astro glide :)

It was a pain in the dick making the first one. The next one i made doing the above and it only took a few mins vs. an hour or two.

dj.scotfree

Im not sure what "cut the tip" means.....

What made it a lot easier for me was two things:

1. make a cup of hot water (not quite boiling) and drop your top hats in it and let them sit in it for a min or so. This makes them go into the pvc pretty easily.

2. Put the connecter in the drip line first, then here's the majik....spit on the end of the tip of the connector. Slides in the grommet like astro glide :)

It was a pain in the dick making the first one. The next one i made doing the above and it only took a few mins vs. an hour or two.

LOL.. Thanks for the idea.. Spit on it and it will slide right in... also I think he meant cutting the drip line at a 45 degree angle. Love & Light~ DJSF

Catatafish

Veteran
Ahhh i see about the cut.. I may have done that on the very first one i made like 4-5 yrs ago.

A little good ole fashion lube (spit) worked well for me :) I wish i would of figured it out first because the first one i made recently took me quite awhile and my fingers were in pain trying to get those damn things in there.

I used a barbed ?coupler? for 1/4" lines, i put the grommet in the pvc and then the drip line with coupler attached into the grommet. I think the one i made like 4-5 yrs ago i didnt use the coupler and just put the lines straight in the grommets. I like the coupler better so i can disconnect a drip line for different finishing strains and cap off the coupler with one of the ez-pull end cap thingies.

ThePizzaMan

Veteran
The holes are really tight. when I put the grommets in the pvc...the hole gets really small. Installing the drip lines was an impossibility. I then put the line in to the grommet...and installed the grommet in to the pvc.....it was really hard and took me hours.

I used dish soap...and it did nothing.

Thanks for the replies guys.

TpM

Miraculous Meds

The holes are really tight. when I put the grommets in the pvc...the hole gets really small. Installing the drip lines was an impossibility. I then put the line in to the grommet...and installed the grommet in to the pvc.....it was really hard and took me hours.

I used dish soap...and it did nothing.

Thanks for the replies guys.

TpM

Huh? almost sounds like u drilled a hole size to small.

Catatafish

Veteran
Did you use the connector? Or line straight into grommet?

I used "hydro flow" fittings, grommets, and tubing. 3/8" drill into pvc.

ThePizzaMan

Veteran
Hi guys...thanks for the replies!

The holes I drilled were with a 3/8" drill bit.

Catatafish - I put the lines straight in to the grommets. I will check out those fittings. I was wondering what you were talking about with this "connector" thingy. It was not mentioned in the original post...and I know absolutely nothing about drip systems.

I am also experiencing some problems with my manifold...as some lines come out slower and some are not going at all. I have to pull on the line to get water to tinkle out.

I am watering right now once per day...as they are not drying out as fast as I would like them to. They are my mothers..I have 8 of them. They are small...and I dont want to give them root rot.

Cheers

TpM

watts

ohms
Veteran
what size is your pump and is the manifold and tubing all the same length so everything is able to be distributed evenly?