What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to increase marijuana scent and flavour?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Odd then, I've tried dry trimming several times and can't stand it. I love being able to trim every last bit of a sugar leaf from a flower at the stem, leaving only the pure flower taste.

Maybe I haven't done it correctly yet. lol

MrBungle

I wet trimmed for about 6 years, cause when I first started growing, I split my crop with my mentor...Long story short I learned some valuable stuff from him, but needed to move on to my own set up.... It was pretty obvious that I needed to know more than "dump this on the dirt once a week"

Anyways we would wet trim the buds to split up the harvest, so that's how I always did it even on my own.... Over time I decided to experiment with just taking all the leaves off if I could see the stem, then drying with the close leaf still there...

For me I could tell the difference right away... The buds weren't as gnawed up, and the close leaf seems to pull out the moisture from the stems better, which seems to make the end product dry more evenly.... another nice thing about a 2 part drying system is the work is a little spread out instead of one long marathon....

As for organics.... You're supplying the plant with nutrients that aren't available until it is made available by the plant itself or the soil life...

Salts are already plant available so you are just skipping a step.... if you are creating pot using salts and it tastes bad, its not because of the salts, it is because you aren't doing it right.... I have also tasted improperly grown organic weed that tasted horrible as well...

beta

Veteran
Wet trichomes are too easy to 'pop' when you're handling them, at which point all of the terpenes they have evaporate into the air. Dry trichomes are leathery and hold on to their terps better - hence the flavor difference between wet and dry trim.

L

larry badiner

re: trimming

i found that when you leave the leaves on, the sugar leaves protect the calyxes with the trichomes

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
larry badliner, that's what I think too. Some hybrids can have complex flower structure to the point where it really breaks your heart to cut those tasty little sugar leaves out anyway. I say either leave them in when you consume, or cut them out last minute. They do a great job of protecting the trichomes inside.

Every now and then a grower or breeder who liked my genetics will gift me some product. In the 10-15 years, it's become more common to gift a whole branch rather than a trimmed bud. Anyone else notice this very cool trend? It made me think that soon we'll buy flower intact on the stem for better freshness and storage. Save the stems and extra leaves to give back to the plug like a deposit?

L

larry badiner

larry badliner, that's what I think too. Some hybrids can have complex flower structure to the point where it really breaks your heart to cut those tasty little sugar leaves out anyway. I say either leave them in when you consume, or cut them out last minute. They do a great job of protecting the trichomes inside.

Every now and then a grower or breeder who liked my genetics will gift me some product. In the 10-15 years, it's become more common to gift a whole branch rather than a trimmed bud. Anyone else notice this very cool trend? It made me think that soon we'll buy flower intact on the stem for better freshness and storage. Save the stems and extra leaves to give back to the plug like a deposit?

you shouldnt really smoke the leaves from my experience, its kind of a ritual for me to remove the fan/sugar leaves before smoking, especially sativa plants

if you smoke a regular fan leaves, even with a flush, you'll cough and wont get high at all, sometimes you'll get a headache. really makes you think of the stereotype of weed as a bag of leaves, stems, and seeds instead of a cluster of calyxes

Douglas.Curtis

I hear a lot about using the sugar leaves to 'protect the trichomes' and it makes me wonder. Is there a shortage of trichomes on your plants? 'Cause I get literal drifts of trichomes in my jars, and I've wet trimmed almost exclusively for over 15 years.

Have you compared wet and dry trimmed cannabis of yours, from the same plant, side by side before? Did you notice a drastic difference in visual look or the smoking experience?

I gently crush one of my flowers between my fingers, and pull out the main stem. This leaves a frosty pile of flower bits. Digging through this pile, to pull out untrimmed bits of sugar leaf, is not something I've found I like. lol Due to my sensitivity of smell, feel and taste, sugar leaf (no matter how frosty) tastes like sugar leaf to me.

I

Ignignokt

you shouldnt really smoke the leaves from my experience, its kind of a ritual for me to remove the fan/sugar leaves before smoking, especially sativa plants

if you smoke a regular fan leaves, even with a flush, you'll cough and wont get high at all, sometimes you'll get a headache. really makes you think of the stereotype of weed as a bag of leaves, stems, and seeds instead of a cluster of calyxes

Sugar leaves are hardly fan leaves, especially on certain encrusted plants.

gmanwho

Veteran
I hear a lot about using the sugar leaves to 'protect the trichomes' and it makes me wonder. Is there a shortage of trichomes on your plants? 'Cause I get literal drifts of trichomes in my jars, and I've wet trimmed almost exclusively for over 15 years.

Have you compared wet and dry trimmed cannabis of yours, from the same plant, side by side before? Did you notice a drastic difference in visual look or the smoking experience?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BicvvMyghgG/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=nwfjq526buyj

That was to difficlut , found the link.

I gently crush one of my flowers between my fingers, and pull out the main stem. This leaves a frosty pile of flower bits. Digging through this pile, to pull out untrimmed bits of sugar leaf, is not something I've found I like. lol Due to my sensitivity of smell, feel and taste, sugar leaf (no matter how frosty) tastes like sugar leaf to me.

next time you harvest hold a few buds to dry on the branches/stalk an compare afterwards. comparing them made me switch to dry triming after 10+ years of wet trimming. i was beside myself.

i wish i could set the link up, there was a macro video on IG of someone poking fresh trichomes at room temp. it was a slaughterhouse. i had no idea how fragile they where . i mean i saw the build up on my gloves at harvest, but to see that video was like ......holy F***

Douglas.Curtis

next time you harvest hold a few buds to dry on the branches/stalk an compare afterwards.
With "my" cannabis? It looks the same. I've often left a few flowers on a plant to dry. I can actually see one across the room from me, on a stalk I haven't tossed yet.

Here's what my dried flower looks like, after wet trimming. Does it look like I knocked off too many trichs, or smashed too many trichs? I certainly don't. :)

Attachments

• BirthdayTwista.jpg
    BirthdayTwista.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Pink-Nugs-4.jpg
    Pink-Nugs-4.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 19

gmanwho

Veteran
With "my" cannabis? It looks the same. I've often left a few flowers on a plant to dry. I can actually see one across the room from me, on a stalk I haven't tossed yet.

Here's what my dried flower looks like, after wet trimming.

icmag wont allow the link....

on IG his name is erik.nugshots

Douglas.Curtis

I see now. What did he use in the video? A mini-vacuum? Trichs don't react that way to my touch on my plants. LOL

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Odd then, I've tried dry trimming several times and can't stand it. I love being able to trim every last bit of a sugar leaf from a flower at the stem, leaving only the pure flower taste.

Maybe I haven't done it correctly yet. lol

I started dry trimming the previous few runs and
had to convince myself it was better.

My next runs will get wet trimmed, usually a first trim
right at chop and a close trim the next day.

The dry trim buds are in the hash bin for future
bubble run.

Works for me

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
On the second day doing wet trimming would be more difficult I guess. Best is doing it on the first day when the leaves are fresh.

Douglas.Curtis

I'm wonder what temp the video of the punctured trichome was shot at. My rooms are 'cold' in comparison to most flower rooms. I prefer around 70F.

Physics makes a difference. ;)

mr.brunch

Veteran
I prefer wet trimming myself, as soon as the branches come off. So much easier with the leaves standing up. I find dry trimming hard work

Latest posts

Latest posts