What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

how to identify Rhizophagus irregularis by eye

Bio boy

See somuch hyphae in my soils and composts how do you know which is irregularis ? For those who collect am fungi are you blindly adding fungi ? Or is Ri dominant? How do you know you have that species dominant and not another without buying select species in bag form and hope they are living ?
how to identify Rhizophagus irregularis by eye or microscope ,google revealed nothing I can translate

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Good question bio boy. You can't stop mold spores in any grow or soil unless you have a sterile environment. What gives the hyphae a host is suitable living conditions. When conditions are suitable for mold the hyphae will attach and grow.

Mold is the natural way of eliminating weak or unsuitable species. When a species is strong and the environment is strong and suitable the species is not affected by hyphae.

Endrega

I heard this one on the cannabis cultivation podcast. Usually if you see fungi then it is not mykoriza or rizophagus, as they live on the roots themselves. This is where you would find it under a microscope. It can't be seen with a naked eye. The spores move with water and when they find roots they germinate. That is why an application directly on the roots is more effective rather than mixing it with soil. Germination time is about 2 Weeks from powder. From what I understand you can germinate and muliply the fungi much faster yourself brewing Heisenberg Tea. If I remember right going beyond 48 h be best for fungi.

I think to get it from compost something like bukashi method could work.

Redrum92

See somuch hyphae in my soils and composts how do you know which is irregularis ? For those who collect am fungi are you blindly adding fungi ? Or is Ri dominant? How do you know you have that species dominant and not another without buying select species in bag form and hope they are living ?
how to identify Rhizophagus irregularis by eye or microscope ,google revealed nothing I can translate
I have no clue how you could ID by eye, but if you are certain you want a certain fungus, you could always keep your own isolated cultures. Maybe way more work than you'd want for something like this, but maybe worth looking into. At the very least, knowing you've put a healthy culture into your dirt/substrate would give you a much higher confidence (And maybe even learning to identify by eye after seeing regularly in isolation?)

HarleySW

Usually if you see fungi then it is not mykoriza or rizophagus, as they live on the roots themselves. This is where you would find it under a microscope. It can't be seen with a naked eye. The spores move with water and when they find roots they germinate. That is why an application directly on the roots is more effective rather than mixing it with soil. Germination time is about 2 Weeks from powder. From what I understand you can germinate and muliply the fungi much faster yourself brewing Heisenberg Tea. If I remember right going beyond 48 h be best for fungi.

I think to get it from compost something like bukashi method could work.
It's interesting to learn about the intricacies of mycorrhiza and rizophagus and how they thrive on roots under a microscope. I though, this could be visible to the naked eye not until you said it has be under a microscope. I also got a valuable insight from the application of fungi directly on the roots rather than mixing it with soil. The idea of brewing Heisenberg Tea for faster germination and multiplication of fungi is intriguing, especially with a suggested optimal time limit of 48 hours... wow.

TrainingHay

20240103_111653.jpg

Colonizers. Can't live with em, can't live without em.

When does symbiosis kick in. And why do 99% of growers spray fungicides? Why do all the fungal freaks have bad terps and slow as hell growth? Because selling bullshit is their business.

Fungus is sabotage in Cannabis. No mycos ever helped anyone. You need root hair formation not fungal invaded roots.