What's new

How to get rid of a gnat infestation quickly?

You can find the gnat dunks at homedepot or something locally too if that matters. Probably check online they usually carry even in the winters for whatever reason.

chronosync

Well-stoned member
Beneficial nematode steinerama feltiae. Problem neutralized!

Within 30 minutes all larvae will come up to the surface and die!

im staying on BTI but if in a week or so i need to im calling in some troops. dont want to but if i have to ill enjoy watching those maggots die

Drop That Sound

If all else fails, try some unconventional methods.. >:D

-Suck em up: Spend time sucking each and every one up in a vacuum cleaner, if you have to leave for any reason, hook a manifold to the end of the main hose with a smaller hose going to the top of each pot with a funnel or lid attatchment with entry holes. Hook the vac to a timer so it catches them off guard, like every 5,10, 15 minutes on a random schedule.

-Shock treatment: Hook up 2 electrodes, one on the top of the pot and one in a drain hole on the bottom. Flip the switch and watch the maggots squirm to the top (like the old fisherman's trick for obtaining worms). Also hang mini bug zappers or tesla coils above the soil line of each pot... ZAP!!!

-Vaporize them: Not into oblivion, but actually vape them out with nicotine e-juice, blow it all around them and the top of the soil. They hate that shit, I blow it on my plants all the time when I see one and they fly off never to be seen again. Force the vapor down in the soil or medium with an air pump, it will coat every thing in food grade vegetable glycerin ,propylene glycol, and nicotine. Use strong a strong juice with like 36mg or make your own with more.

Ive only tried a few of the things I suggested, such as vacuuming them and blowing vapor around them from my lungs, I accept no responsibility for the death of any plants, or gnats for that matter. Please use discretion and only test my idea's on 1 plant, please let me know if shocking the MF'ers, or pumping nicotine into the soil works!

poncachaw

If you are growing in a soil or similar substrate then I assume these gnats are fungus gnats. They are usually present if the soil is kept too wet. I would recommend letting your girls get dry feet for a day or two. This should kill the larvae and stop the reproductive cycle and rid you of gnats.

RB56

Veteran
If you are growing in a soil or similar substrate then I assume these gnats are fungus gnats. They are usually present if the soil is kept too wet. I would recommend letting your girls get dry feet for a day or two. This should kill the larvae and stop the reproductive cycle and rid you of gnats.
If you're growing in containers, fungus gnats are ridiculously easy to control. Shouldn't have to do anything that negatively impacts plant growth to solve the problem.

Jhhnn

Veteran
If you're growing in containers, fungus gnats are ridiculously easy to control. Shouldn't have to do anything that negatively impacts plant growth to solve the problem.

The only thing easier than gnatrol is not having gnats in the first place.

chronosync

Well-stoned member
So, I got and applied nematodes on wednesday came back on friday and so far so good

nematodes were drenched into the coco pots with feed, bottom fed first and then top dressed, so far i have fed normally with no runoff in hopes the nematodes are still in the pots and active

my only concern being that nematodes dont last long in hydroponic solution but it stands to reason that if the fungus maggots can hack it then why not the little nematodes?

all the plants look %100 better already and i have only seen a few fliers, stickies are still out and im hoping the few ive seen are just stragglers, i hit my tents with sm-90, especially the trays

so now what?

sm-90 @ 5ml per gal? foreverafter?
Bti diddnt do it for me....
im working on a mechanical means that still allows top feeding ALA RB56, thanks RB56! and everyone who contributed here

KONY

Veteran
Cedar based spray for the adult fliers, then sticky traps for the adults when they land. Then BTi mixed into the water ATLEAST 24 hours prior to watering. These three things combined will have those gnats gone in no time. Many people forget or dont understand that BTi takes a solid 24 hours of being in water to become reactivated. If you just sprinkle the bits or chunks on the soil surface, you will have inferior results.

Promis
2ml/gal solo cup clones
10ml/gal up pots

Cripes. As long as you are the only person that smokes your cannabis I guess this is okay. But you realize this product stays in the plants for ~200 ish days right?

IMID (the active ingrediant) should never be used for gnats, whiteflies or thrips or anything that is relatively easy to get rid of. This is a very strong chemical.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just watered with a 5 to one mix of H2O to 3% H2O2 making a .5% H2O2 mix. (5c H2O to 1c H2O2).
After watering the plants, flyers were significantly reduced within 1/2 hour. Of course the wigglers will get oxidized as well causing a significant reduction of total pests in the soil. They will become plant food. :biggrin:
Another benifit to using H2O2 to water with is super charging the soil with oxygen. The plants almost instantly went into prayer mode.

Yeah... No need for serious poison for these easy to deal with pests.

Sativan

I've got a fairly heavy gnat infestation and have been doing what I can to get rid of the lil buggers. (without damaging some of the plants I have flowering) hanging the sticky fly traps from the ceiling but it dosent seem to be working...they get full top to bottom in 5-7 days and I have two in the tent but I need to go pick up another pack, because I only have one hanging. I also recently started putting potatoes in the soil and I saw some dead dried up larvae cling to them but not as many as I thought I was going to see...HELP?! things are getting a little bit crazy lol

I had this problem earlier in the year and someone here suggested MICROBELIFT BMC. It's BTI concentrated in some brown liquid. One drop/gallon and bam the little buggers will be gone. Give it two weeks for complete eradication.

It worked for me extremely well.

Latest posts

Latest posts