What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

how to get buds ready for dry sift?

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was wondering if anyone has any tips , tricks you can share to getting buds ready to be dry enough for dry sift?

I've had some hanging in a paper bag for 1 1/2 months in tent, but not crispy dry at all.. so I'm stumped how to dry them out, as I thought that open air bud would be crispy dry, but I don't know then..

also anything to worry about with integrity of trichs doing this in general? I know how many go to jars for the perfect cure.. kinda opposite trying to dry them out and such.. wondering if there is any process I'm missing, or if I'm destroying the glands doing this like this, or how should I be handling buds so I don't mess things up

I always just thought in morocco ( not sure really ) that they just hung dry upside down in "barns" for a while then took them out and beat them with sticks? there really isn't a curing process that they do is there???? it also makes me think real quick is curing more more the plant material then the glands or both???

thanks for any info, as I've got 5 ounces that won't dry out or the life of me

If you have a dehumidifier put it in the smallest room you have, possibly bathroom? Then spread buds out inside a shallow cardboard box or tray. Turn to the lowest rh% setting and run it for a few hours. Should make it significantly dryer.

Also a food de-hydrate machine will work ever better. Luckily right now around the holidays you could find one probably half off anywhere.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Your RH must be very high. I hang dry my plants. There all dry within 10 days. These are not 9lb monster plants grown outdoor. All grown indoor. We are in winter here in Cali so it takes the full 10 days. In summer I only need half that time. Lower your RH and get some air moving you don't need much. I don't cure very long 1 month at the most. it usually doesn't last that long most is gone in 2 weeks. I have seen people that live in very cold climate's use the bathroom or your tent just close the doors then heat it up have some air moving your plants will be dry in 5 days i mean crispy dry..

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^

hey buddy,

what I do.. well what I just did with all my jars of "old stash" was literally used a grinder to grind up all the material then hand sifted over bubbleman 4 set screen..

I found the grinder to work better then using my hands, as there is buildup on either, so I would rather smack the grinder to get half the trichs out vs. stuck on my gloves..

I don't own a tumbler yet, as I always smoked the bud, so I never made kief from buds till now.. just always used the trim,

any advice you can give me... I'm all ears.. this is all new to me.. was reading on nutrients for 5+ years, so figure I better get to learning something new..

thank ya

mk6

After you have the buds dry how do you plan to get the kief out of them?

I made this outa a wine display box, real easy... and they give away the boxs at the wine store, and there is a pre cut grove for the glass, all you gota do is buy/order the screen and staple it in with some wood stips.
picture.php

EsterEssence

Veteran
That box looks ok. First off dry sift is particle separation, when you grind material you have the chance of making particles the same size as the trics you want. If you don't have a tumbler you can take a piece of 110 us size silk screen and use a plastic bucket. If you dry the material really dry, put it into the bucket, stretch the screen over the bucket and secure with a large rubber band or piece of wire. Gently shake the bucket over glass or even into a larger bucket you can collect the kief. If your material is dry enough the buds will break up and the trics will fall off. It is best to do it when cold so the crystals are hard and not sticky...

EsterEssence

Veteran
I personally don't like to freeze it, where I work is 30-40 degrees, so it is freezing but not as cold as a freezer...

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
I agree with Ester on both grinding the bud and freezing the material.

Grinding up bud is akin to using the dry ice technique which is a pretty awful way to make hash.

Freeze for bubble, not dry sift.

EsterEssence

Veteran
Ok it is 30* 45rh. here is my method for collecting kief.

Attachments

• DSCN1090.jpg
    DSCN1090.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN1091.jpg
    DSCN1091.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN1092.jpg
    DSCN1092.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN1093.jpg
    DSCN1093.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN1094.jpg
    DSCN1094.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 48

EsterEssence

Veteran
Pics show raw material before and after, amount of raw material per tumble, amount of kief collected from a few tumbles, and kief collected from one tumble on magazine...I hope this helps...

Attachments

• DSCN1095.jpg
    DSCN1095.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN1096.jpg
    DSCN1096.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 31

EsterEssence

Veteran
The large bag is for extraction 30 min tumble, the small bag is for separation 3-5 min tumble. The pic here is after separation and pressed...

Attachments

• DSCN1101.jpg
    DSCN1101.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 27

Sirdabsalot46n2

Veteran
Pics show raw material before and after, amount of raw material per tumble, amount of kief collected from a few tumbles, and kief collected from one tumble on magazine...I hope this helps...
Hello Ester.

I've been really interested in getting into dry sieving.
Do you happen to have a thread or post(s) that go into greater detail on this device you have here^?.

If you wouldn't mind, could you go into a little bit further detail on your tech? ...I would very much be interested.
Thanks in advance.

:tiphat:

EsterEssence

Veteran
I can only talk about making the kief, I don't do the extraction, and Sam won't let me tell how to do the separation.

ive got a ton of fan leaf that has trics on em.can i get this dry sift outta those ?ive got a bunch of it dry in paper bags an dont know what to do with it.i was thinking dab but dont know if it would be worth it

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
Dry, grind, freeze, sift.

I recently bought this sifting can -

picture.php

picture.php

...And it works perty darn good. Approx. 7 grams of trim got me this -

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts