What's new

How to fight the spread of poor advice?

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
Is there anything that can be done about people giving poor advice? You can disagree and argue with them all you want, but most of the time they're so full of themselves they just won't stop.

There should be some way to flag a post as containing inaccurate information, and if enough people flag it there will be a disclaimer on it.

I learned everything I know about growing here, and it pisses me off when I see new growers telling other new growers how to do things, when they're completely wrong. It's stupid. Why waste someone's time and resources like that?

My biggest issue that I've seen is people proclaiming "Doing X is awesome and will improve your grow!" when they have no legitimate proof, and are just basing their statements on a few plants with no actual data. Now I understand that the smart ones will check and recheck all their info before doing anything, but fuck... stop spreading bad info!

B. Friendly

"IBIUBU" Sayeith the Dude
Veteran
i see this alot to but i try to look for those people who agree together in threads. Kinda like going with the audiance's advice in the highest percentage. And use common sense i guess

whodair

Veteran
theres more than one "right" way to do things. just because someones opinion doesnt work for them, it may work fine in their situation...

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
dkmonk and B. Friendly - That's exactly what new growers should be doing, but that's not always how it works unfortunately. Any negative outcomes that happen due to them following poor advice would be their fault, but it just makes me mad that they would even have to deal with that. The collective knowledge here is immense, yet there are still things that slip through the cracks. The worst is when an experienced grower tries something experimental, and then a new grower thinks "Hey that's cool, I'm going to do that too!" and then complains and asks for help...

LEARN THE BASICS FIRST, IF YOU CAN'T GROW IN A SIMPLE ENVIRONMENT, YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO GROW IN AN ADVANCED ONE.

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
I read this site every night for four months before I dropped a single.

Then I did some controlled experiments when I finally did pop some seeds. just to answer some of my own questions

The variability answer is spot own.

That is exactly the way every grower should start off. Spend at least a few months combing through the forums and planning your grow in your head. Your plan will change a million times, but that's why you're not growing yet. Keep reading, keep changing your plans. Once you've spent a few months doing this, start your grow. Don't start off with $100+ seeds, start off with something you're not afraid to experiment with. Don't be afraid to poke and prod your plants, figure out how they work!

R

Rysam

Im not against giving someone a check-up if they are totally off in left field, but there's so many ways to grow I mostly just let them slip by. They will learn what works soon enough or quit, either way, here i'll sit just watching my girls grow.

D

Dalaihempy

GrnMtnGrwr i have seen this from the first day i loged into the one line community most of these growers your talking about are what i call text book growers in short will read and belive every thing there as fact but to be a good grower you need to watch your plants and lorne from your plants they dont need much to be happy and give you good resolts.

A lot of its ego to and the need to feel importent what most fail to rember is cannabis grows well infact better in nature than in the hands of most of these so called experts.

To many have a need to feel importent or to feed there ego sadly wat gets lost is facts and truth a lot of these growers 1 year ago couldnt even germ seeds.

In the 8 years i have been online i have seen so many show up on the boards and had not grown 1 single plant them selfs then grow out there first grow with in 6 months to 1 year are all of a sudden experts and there ward is law lol.

I have seen these types give such bad advice that it coused people to have grows suffer to complet grows fail all i have tryed to do since i was on line was help the newbies and i have done that for years mostly in privert in all honesty growing cannabis is easy to get good cannabis you need good genetics thats the key but as a grower to get the best from the genetics all you need to do is give them the basics food lite and a happy enviroment in short try to mimic nature best you can indoors out doors agine keep them happy with there needs.

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
Dalaihempy - That's exactly what I'm talking about. I've been very active in these forums for almost 4 years now, under a few different names, and I've definitely seen grows turn into complete failures because the only advice the grower got when presented with a problem was piss poor advice, and messed up the grows beyond repair. I remember one member that was banned after ruining several grows, while never having a grow of his own. It's crazy that people will take advice from someone that has nothing to support their claims.

The best way to fight the spread of poor advice is to stop giving it.

Yeah well that's the problem. The vast majority of people giving poor advice don't know it, and think they're helping people out.

qdavid

I've seen plenty of posts with "advise" that has absolutely no proof. I think it 's a form of a mental illness thing, like attention seeking or something. Along those similiar lines is the dicotomy we have here between us small 3 or 4 plant med growers and the big comercial growers. I've been thinking about that a lot lately. Usually advice is nearly the same anyway, but once in a while the small 2 or 3 plant grower can be thrown off by, say, talking about the advantages of increasing yield through UVB (not a great example). No big problem. Just can be frustrating sometimes. I guess the answer just lies in what has been said already. Don't rely on one persons advice, rely on a concensus, and read, read, read.

Green Smoke

I learned when I first started lurking here to take advise from only those who post impressive grows. Many times it's the guy with no albums, no grow threads and no actual proof that he even grows at all that spread the most mis-information.

I also back check their past posts to see if they are legit. A lot of these guys are just trolls looking for a fight.

That being said, there's a wealth of GOOD information on these boards. Seperating the wheat from the chaff is just part of the learning curve.

D

Dalaihempy

That being said, there's a wealth of GOOD information on these boards. Seperating the wheat from the chaff is just part of the learning curve.

Yep you have some of the worlds best growers in this sites fact most of us older growers did not have any of this support and net work they do now days what we had was ow selfs and at best few trusted friends.

Most of us older growers educated ow selfs from the plants and all we did was watch them let them teach us years of hands on is the best way to educate your selfs in all honesty.

Best advice any one can give a new grower is this key to great cannabis is genetics keep things simple and dont over love your plants treat them like a plant give them what they need and leve them alone.

Work out wich way you want to go in your growing method soil hydro so on then research read and keep it simple.

j6p

The best way to avoid bad advice is to think before acting. Everyone must do their own due diligence, or suffer the consequences. This requires independent research, learning and confirmation of new ideas and suggestions from others. Do your homework, and the BS falls through the cracks :D

Don't rely on one persons advice, rely on a concensus, and read, read, read.

Green Smoke

Work out wich way you want to go in your growing method soil hydro so on then research read and keep it simple.

Now that is good advice. Once you decide the way you want to grow, listen to those who have proven they are proficient at using that method. An organic grower trying to teach a hydro newbie just doesn't seem right.

TLoft13

Is there anything that can be done about people giving poor advice? You can disagree and argue with them all you want, but most of the time they're so full of themselves they just won't stop.

There should be some way to flag a post as containing inaccurate information, and if enough people flag it there will be a disclaimer on it.

I learned everything I know about growing here, and it pisses me off when I see new growers telling other new growers how to do things, when they're completely wrong. It's stupid. Why waste someone's time and resources like that?

My biggest issue that I've seen is people proclaiming "Doing X is awesome and will improve your grow!" when they have no legitimate proof, and are just basing their statements on a few plants with no actual data. Now I understand that the smart ones will check and recheck all their info before doing anything, but fuck... stop spreading bad info!

/\
Deadlist
If everybody gives a dollar we should be able to hire some very able hitman.