What's new

How to determine how old the plant is?

OldPhart

Edit: I miss read the question. If I were to tell someone the age of a plant, I would count from when they are standing up with fully open cotyledon. Everything before that I would consider part of germination, everything after is growth.

Last edited:

Floridian

Veteran
Yea not sure I understand the question.If you haven't kept any kind of track since it broke soil,one way is this.When a plant is immature,its nodes or branches like up evenly along the stalk.If you have a plant where the branches are staggered and not lining up evenly along the main stalk,it is older or more mature.These are signs of sexual maturity actually.So if you have two plants and both are 24 inches tall but one has branches that line up evenly parallel along the stalk it would be younger than a 24 inch plant where the uppermost nodes or branches are staggered,another words not lining up at the exact same height along the main stalk.Other than that you have to keep track!

HqFarms

Yea not sure I understand the question.If you haven't kept any kind of track since it broke soil,one way is this.When a plant is immature,its nodes or branches like up evenly along the stalk.If you have a plant where the branches are staggered and not lining up evenly along the main stalk,it is older or more mature.These are signs of sexual maturity actually.So if you have two plants and both are 24 inches tall but one has branches that line up evenly parallel along the stalk it would be younger than a 24 inch plant where the uppermost nodes or branches are staggered,another words not lining up at the exact same height along the main stalk.Other than that you have to keep track!

Not all seedlings grow that way. Some grow asymmetrical from the start

Floridian

Veteran
What can you think of to determine a plants age besides the obvious like size or stalk thickness?I grow the huge majority from clones but I have definatly observed this pattern in my seedplant grows.

HqFarms

What can you think of to determine a plants age besides the obvious like size or stalk thickness?I grow the huge majority from clones but I have definatly observed this pattern in my seedplant grows.

I'm not sure what you could do to determine age of a seedling or at any stage. I'm never concerned about that. I'm more of a when they are ready, they are ready. I don't even track how many days they are in flower either unless I'm doing some testing for someone. All I was saying is not all seedlings grow symmetrically

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
Edit: I miss read the question. If I were to tell someone the age of a plant, I would count from when they are standing up with fully open cotyledon. Everything before that I would consider part of germination, everything after is growth.
Ya that...yeehaw....when it shows sex it's mature otherwise...grow till you are ready to flower

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Wide leaf types, 23 days:

picture.php

Same plants, 31 days, transplanted to 16oz containers:

picture.php

Floridian

Veteran
Its funny when a newbie comes here to ask a simple question and the answers are I'm really not concerned about that when they are ready,they're ready.And were just done with phrasing right that's not a thing anymore?What the fuck does that mean?I'm glad when I was learning about plant growth people would just do their best to answer the question.

angelgoob

doesn't bother me im interested in what people say.

reason I say this is I've been looking up plants on their days. Mine are far ahead.

Day 3 sprout from water. Day 16 from when gave water to germinate. Now they are day 13.

They look a lot bigger than other plants at the same day.

I have seedling soil and dirt from outside. then I have an organic fert layer and then organic soil.

angelgoob

takes nice pictures. I need a fan for flowering.

I did this thing where I bubbled the seeds. It obviously worked. lol. not sure if it's me watering it goodly or that bubble thing I did.

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Your plants look fine to me..

Your plants look fine to me..

to see if im behind (stunted) or not.

I've been growing for awhile with HID, 1000/600/400 and vegging with CFL - 315 watts actual (3 bulb array)

Last week I bought a Vipraspectra 450 & 600.

I have put the 450 in my 2X2 Veg tent and have 4 Bubbas under it. I will get my 600 on Sunday and plan on putting it in my 4X3X7 homemade box.

You plants look 👀 good to me.

Check out my LED Summer test grow

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=7992258#post7992258

Best of luck on you

Latest posts

Latest posts