What's new

How to completely erradicate: Root Aphids, Mites, & Thrips

G

Guest 88950

Co2 will doosh the plants too. Supposedly helium will displace oxygen , with out plant damage .

Interesting on the fungus 40.

what about containing the pot with a garbage bag and sealing it around the base of the plant then adding co2.

maybe even pulling a slight vacuum then injecting co2 to kill all bugs in the medium.

just a thought

what about whiteflys? i used spinosad on them 3 days ago but it dont seem to be working. will avid kill whiteflys?

all i have are mite weapons.

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Useing chems which have no real chance of achieveing any worthwhile result on the wrong pest , is usually a waste of money and builds resistance.

Pretty much any chem and the action of spraying will offer some broad control but most will return , a little tougther every time.

Whitefly is easily controlled by several freely available chems , no local resistance here even to pyrethrums , easy kill but could vary worldwide.

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would expect white flies to be easily killed by pyrethrum, pyrethrin, cyperethrins. I have never had them though so I did not give advice on them like I did the ones in this thread. I only like to give info on what I know works so take this with a grain of salt and check into it. At least it isn't aphids man.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Whiteflies on cannabis almost makes mites look easy to get rid of. I know pyrethrum is ineffective. Had them once ten years ago and I ended up just trashing the plants after several types of organic controls at the time failed. There may be something more effective out now,but you don't want these guys.

TickleMyBalls

just don't molest my colas..
Veteran
Floramite systemically? Gross. I wouldn't touch any nuggets that had that treatment in their background. That shit is so toxic, my skin gets red and irritated on contact. Hate to think what it does to the inside of plants. I'll stick to dunking full plants in a floramite solution.

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Floramite systemically? Gross. I wouldn't touch any nuggets that had that treatment in their background. That shit is so toxic, my skin gets red and irritated on contact. Hate to think what it does to the inside of plants. I'll stick to dunking full plants in a floramite solution.

I am hearing a lot of this and I hate chemicals, but it was the only thing that saved my gardens from those bugs and now I am chemical free until I get them again if ever. I never had one bug until I moved states for 2 1/2 years growing so hopefully I can pull at least 2 1/2 years off again. I don't know what to say to people who don't want to use chems to kill what can't be killed by anything else maybe you could figure out something to say to them heh :p I figured my write up was better than saying, "Oh, well fuck it you lost quit growing and go out of business." :chin: I'd expect negative comments from that as well though so I go with the cure.

But since you use floramite anyways and it is a systemic whether you dunk it or put it on the roots I don't see a difference between you and me? :dunno:

S

schwagg

just read an article about using trichoderma spores to kill whiteflys.... interesting

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
40AmpstoFreedom said:
I see time and again in other thread people copying exact usage of certain chemicals solo only to come back and tell everyone it didn't work when there are many others it did work for.
I have an explanation for that....

I've personally witnessed people "Copying" what they are told, heard, saw, whatever. They don't do it right, are lazy about it and usually don't understand what's going on and can't adapt.

I've watched them do things wrong and listened to them explain how they did everything correctly and complain about how the info is bad. *shrug*

In my experience... azamax/azatrol works on mites that other growers have said were 'resistant' to it. *shrug*

So... I guess what I'm saying is you really need to take what people say with a 50lb bag of salt. Some of the best information on growing (for me) has come from people that could hardly type or form a sentence correctly... they knew what they were talking about though. :D

Stay Safe!

U

Ultra Current

I have an explanation for that....

I've personally witnessed people "Copying" what they are told, heard, saw, whatever. They don't do it right, are lazy about it and usually don't understand what's going on and can't adapt.

I've watched them do things wrong and listened to them explain how they did everything correctly and complain about how the info is bad. *shrug*

In my experience... azamax/azatrol works on mites that other growers have said were 'resistant' to it. *shrug*

So... I guess what I'm saying is you really need to take what people say with a 50lb bag of salt. Some of the best information on growing (for me) has come from people that could hardly type or form a sentence correctly... they knew what they were talking about though. :D

Stay Safe!

Some of what you are saying is sometimes true but there are some areas where growers got lazy and didn't treat their mites correctly in the past which has let to some areas of mites that have built up a resistance. A lot of growers don't follow a good schedule and get lazy. The problem that I have with growers is when they have mites, instead of treating organically, they reach for the poisons first. If the weed that you are growing is for you only, then use whatever poison that you want cause you only hurt yourself but it's not fair to the other people who smoke your product. They don't know that's in there. I personally won't smoke anything from growers in my area because there are too many lazy ones that don't care what hormones or chemicals they use. I'm straight with that ish.

TickleMyBalls

just don't molest my colas..
Veteran
I dunk the plant in floramite, not the entire pot. I tie plastic bags around the pots so no solution gets on the dirt. So no, I don't use it systemically. Floramite never touches my roots.

G

Guest 150314

Systemics can enter a plant through the stems, leaves, and roots. Systemic just means that it is absorbed into the plants system.

You can actually treat seeds with systemics.

Critter

Think for yourself, question authority
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My thoughts on RA's
Im throwing the towel in on this cycle, fck it these things are all over! Even out-side fucking up my potted plants close to house exits/entrance. Mine came in on a food lion plant took em about a year to totally take over.

So im trashing them now my next question is should I toss my smart pots and gear and start over? Or wash sp's w/ hot hot water and bleach/insecticide. Still some chance of re-contamination. I dont think its worth the risk?

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi Critter , kept reinfecting from patio planters and house plants and a greenhouse till i realised , flying stage will come indoors possibly following compost odours.

As far as can work out , mine came from a garden centre sale and was over three months till something was obviously wrong.

The azaleas and regal,s were infested yet looked fine and still do , peppers and toms all hit but finished as normal , canna seems easy prey for these buggers.

No longer recycle compost for canna , thorough bleach scrub on pots and assorted kit seems to have worked , should be possible to clean expensive kit of them with proper hard chems , much easier than mites as RA,s are more restricted on egg laying sites and unlikely to be found inside electrical eqt.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
greenmango said:
Systemics can enter a plant through the stems, leaves, and roots. Systemic just means that it is absorbed into the plants system.

The difference with dipping is that the disgusting crap is only absorbed through the plant.... not saturated in the soil.

I'll pour azamax/azatrol/neem into my soil or hydro... it's gone in 30 days and fairly innocuous. Floramite tastes like crap... even if it was used in veg. Disgusting.

Ultra Current said:
Some of what you are saying is sometimes true but there are some areas where growers got lazy and didn't treat their mites correctly in the past which has let to some areas of mites that have built up a resistance.

Yeah... I moved to 10,000 feet in the colorado mountains. Borg central, home of the resistance. Got hit with them multiple times... 2 times (when I got lazy) they got more than a web in my cab... never made it to my flower room though.

I can track all the infections back to other growers in the area with "Resistant" mites. LOL I took care of ALL of it with Azatrol systemically and a couple sprays when actual break outs were found.

Keep the room clean and smooth surfaces. 1ml/gal of Azamax or Azatrol in the res or soil drench, every 2 months in veg and definitely the first day of flower.

Nothing beats checking plants daily and keeping a clean house. You want house plants? Grow them from seed.

Stay Safe!

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I dunk the plant in floramite, not the entire pot. I tie plastic bags around the pots so no solution gets on the dirt. So no, I don't use it systemically. Floramite never touches my roots.

Heh :shucks: well you might want to go tell those people you sold the buds too you did not understand what a systemic was...

:p

Nah should be fine as long as you don't do it 30 days before harvest as it has a 21 day residual, but I would recommend never even considering using it in flower.

Latest posts

Latest posts