What's new

how to add a/c vent and outlet in closet

Hello everyone. I need to know how hard it is to add an a/c vent in my closet? I have central a/c and an attic above the closet. Anyone have any experience installing new a/c vents? I also need to add some outlets but I think I am going to have my best friend who also happens to have some electrician experience run a new line off a new breaker from the box to the room. I need to find some info on a/c vents though. Any help would be much apprecieted.Thanks again,Mike

mybeans420

resident slackass
Veteran
it's not hard at all. but its damn messy.... i hate cutting holes in drywall even with a mask on i always end up getting that shit in my mouth and can taste nothing else for hours.
anyway check out some do it yourself websites. the should have step by step instructions with photo tutorials.
i would suggest that if you are putting the vent in the cieling that you run it through a dryer duct or something similar to direct the flow to the bottom of the closet.
one question, is your existing ducting rigid or is it the flexible tubing type?

Last edited:
mybeans420 said:
it's not hard at all. but its damn messy.... i hate cutting holes in drywall even with a mask on i always end up getting that shit in my mouth and can taste nothing else for hours.
anyway check out some do it yourself websites. the should have step by step instructions with photo tutorials.
i would suggest that if you are putting the vent in the cieling that you run it through a dryer duct or something similar to direct the flow to the bottom of the closet.
one question, is your existing ducting rigid or is it the flexible tubing type?

Thanks for the help. I beleive it is the flexible kind. Sure looks like it. Its large and soft looking

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
ur best friend, is he cool, can u trust him, we cant trust any1 100% apart from ourselves, so if he must do it for u, dont let on,

G

Go to home depot and get a tee section that is the same size as your duct. Cut the duct and add the tee. Use flexible ductwork, 4" or 6" directed with a grill in the closet. Buy an inexpensive grill 4"x8" rectangula and hook it up. Get some silver two-sided duct tape. Not regular duct tape and tape the connection after you drill a few metal screws in the tee section.

Everything shoukld work fine.

You only need a 15amp circuit. An existing outlet in a little used room has a 15a circuit. Just tap the circuit and run a new outlet into the closet.

VegasBuddha

Joemutt1978

I have an outlet in the attic, I drilled a small hole in the ceiling and ran a extension cord from my closet to the attic outlet, now I have power in my closet.

I bought this bathroom ceiling fan, cut out the shape on the ceiling and installed it, it plugged right in the outlet, no wiring!

627Picture_176-med.jpg

full time daddy
Veteran
VegasBuddha said:
Go to home depot and get a tee section that is the same size as your duct. Cut the duct and add the tee. Use flexible ductwork, 4" or 6" directed with a grill in the closet. Buy an inexpensive grill 4"x8" rectangula and hook it up. Get some silver two-sided duct tape. Not regular duct tape and tape the connection after you drill a few metal screws in the tee section.

Everything shoukld work fine.

You only need a 15amp circuit. An existing outlet in a little used room has a 15a circuit. Just tap the circuit and run a new outlet into the closet.

VegasBuddha

great info on the duct..... that what i would have done....

as far as the 110 line. i dont know if i would tap off a line or not.
if the box is not far it is really easy to run a line to you room.

just make sure you turn off your power first then do the wiring.

Thanks for the help everyone. I might attempt the a/c myself or with trustworthy friend. Not sure about the electric. Yet. I checked and it has a 20amp breaker on their now.Should that be enough. On the outside of the grow area there is an outlet.Could I punch a whole in the wall and kind of just turn the outlet around so it is facing in the closet? and I could just cap off the current place? Also for the 20amp it would be for several about 6 40w flour tubes a few Cfls,1000w hps aircooled with all fans and several air pumps for the dwc buckets? thanks,mike

full time daddy
Veteran
i would not

i would not

the fans cfl tubes air pumps bla blaaa blaaa bla yes
but the 1000 w hps no it by it self is 10 amp's and you should never go ove 80% of what the line is rated.

it might be a 20 amp braker but i bet the wire used is only 15 amp.

i would not turn it around
just add a sec box on the side you want via wire and use that. it really easy to do.
2168220_timer_done_12_-med.JPG

is there any thing else on that line? tv,vcr, light's ect.

make sure of what rooms it is ran to.
like my house has the bedroom and bathroom on the same line....

00420 yeah the 20a runs a small hallway as well as the bedroom and in the bedrrom their is fan,light,pc etc not including what will be in the 8 x 8 closet. So like u said before I think Im gonna be better off running a dedicated line and breaker to the 8x8 room. What gauge wire and size breaker should I use for this? Like I said it will run the aircooled1000w hps,many flouros fans ,air pumps etc... thanks for the help,Mike

full time daddy
Veteran
how far!

how far!

id says 14/3 romex same thing that is in the house alread should be great make sure it is 20 amp wire if you go with a 20 amp braker.
if 15 amp wire dont put a 20 amp braker on there.
but you could do a 15 amp braker and 20 amp wire.
for the 1000's i like to run 12/3 ( on 110v )
but 14/3 will work if its not very far
if your gonna run 1000watt's
i would thank about running 2 110 line's ( 15 amp)
one just for the light and anything else on that timer. maybe a fan or co2 but would not put much more on it. just to be safe.
then the other for the rest cf tube's outtake's intakes. pumps bla,blaaa,blaa.

its not gonna cost you but 10 bux more to run the sec'd line.
(a braker & plug thats it) you buy the wire in 50 feet most the time.

Thats a good idea 00420, be much safer that way,and I woudnt ever have to worry about overloading the one circuit.great idea thanks

full time daddy
Veteran
not only safety ( witch is #1 )

not only safety ( witch is #1 )

but with 2 lines you might want to add a sec light never know how are growing skill's/mind flow's when it'as just not enuff.

lol

Latest posts

Latest posts