What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How should I train my plants in Veg?

W

wegobigupnorth

Hello folks :) Hope everyone is well. I am currently vegging some clones and seeds preparing for my first indoor grow which I will be using the "vertical doughnut" method of vertical growing using a 1K.

Currently am vegging under a 400W MH which is hung horizontally. My question for you guys is, what should I be doing right now to prepare my plants to flower using the vertical bulb? Like some of my clones are at the size where I would start doing some LST and things...I am just wondering the best way to train my plants under a horizontal light but will be flowered using vertical lighting?

Thanks! Also, I have heard some say it is good to veg with the light vertical if I am going to be flowering that way? Because if you guys think that will make a big difference I will happily change the veg tent around but I don't really see anyone vegging using vert?

Hi Wegobigupnorth. Its great that you are doing a vertical grow on your first indoor. You can veg ether way. It all depends on how you plan to build the donut canopy. If you need to weave a lot / super crop you should veg in your screen or trellis. Other wise you can veg and then weave them in.

W

wegobigupnorth

Should I be vegging in the screen? I plan to have a screen circlred 360 degree around the bulb and train the plants around the bulb best I can but the thing is I plan to have as many plants as I can fit around the bulb/screen so it will be a fairly short veg and then I think I will be able to fill in the screen nice during flower?

I hope that makes sense. Thanks!

Makes perfect sense. You will do well putting them in the screen around day 14 to 20 depending on the flower time. Pull all the lower branches down and the mid branches out so the plant gets opened up from top to bottom. A 20-24in tall plant when finished will have several branches that should get used and developed all the way down the plant. Spreading them out when they are just getting flowers is a good time with the small ones. You will need to defoliate some when you do this. This is usually when they get that thorough clean up that will get them through the 6th and 7th week.

Dready_jake

you can do it one of two ways either around an imaginary bulb growing up across the bulb in a half circle style. or you can do the vertical screen and train them across the screen so theyr're growing towards the bulb instead of across it plus there is Marlo's method which I highly recommend you reader for this type of growing
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=221265

420ish

i veg my plants horizontally and then put them in my vertical flower cabinet.i tie them up after a week or so after letting them get used to the new vertical light.when i ran donuts my best results were with 4 to 6 plants.8 plants got too crowded and fought for space.i ended up with more larf with the higher plant count.
i used racks made out of 2x2 wood attached to pie shaped plywood bases.pvc looks nice but costs alot more then a few 2x2 boards screwed to plywood.
good luck!

W

wegobigupnorth

When you say you used racks, what exactly do you mean? I am planning on having the plants in grow bags on the floor circling around the bulb. Do you mean you built racks to put the plants on? Sorry for not following you

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I veg vertical.

Set the bulb up high for a more indica plant that you want to stretch out. Set the bulb to the side for a more stretchy sativa. By doing this you will fill in a sativa more and thin out a indica more.

Like mentioned above use 4 to 6 plants. To many plants will lead to larf. I am running 5 in my doughnuts. But I run a double stacked set up. For you I would say 6 plants would be best.

I find it best to trim the plants when they go into flower. This means let them free flow in flower. Once they reach flower trim the center branches out. Keep nothing that is less than 1/4 the size of the branch stem it comes from. And remove the first three branches on a branch coming out of the main stem. Unless this will leave a large bare spot. These bare spots can be filled in by gently bending the branch tips back into the center.

After doing this one or two times you will know what to do with different types of plants with different growth habits.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
i prune for vertical flower during my horizontal veg. i basically build a "candelabra" shape by snipping off branches at every other node while the plant is still producing opposite leaf growth (rather than alternating).

biblical-holidays-7-14-branch-candelabras-7-light-brass-candelabra-medium-igch-1484-3283big.jpg

so in the end at every spot i topped the new growth is parallel. the plant becomes tall and wide but very flat this way. good for the weak penetration of my 400w.

after stretch i clean up any little suckers that are growing in the wrong places.

Dready_jake

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's actually kinda what I was talking about whenbi said the half circle shape pretty much that picture trained semi round lol.
If you haven't yet check out Marlo's brilliant wall of weed style tie down screen. Its ingenious and proof us stoners will be able to do anything we really need with the resources at hand lol

Miraculous Meds

I veg vertical.

Set the bulb up high for a more indica plant that you want to stretch out. Set the bulb to the side for a more stretchy sativa. By doing this you will fill in a sativa more and thin out a indica more.

Like mentioned above use 4 to 6 plants. To many plants will lead to larf. I am running 5 in my doughnuts. But I run a double stacked set up. For you I would say 6 plants would be best.

I find it best to trim the plants when they go into flower. This means let them free flow in flower. Once they reach flower trim the center branches out. Keep nothing that is less than 1/4 the size of the branch stem it comes from. And remove the first three branches on a branch coming out of the main stem. Unless this will leave a large bare spot. These bare spots can be filled in by gently bending the branch tips back into the center.

After doing this one or two times you will know what to do with different types of plants with different growth habits.

This info right here is on point. I would add that if ur using stacked bulbs then vegging vert becomes more important. As I found out the hard way after thinking I could get 3' plants in veg, horizontally, but the bottom half of the plant was too weak to produce like they do when veg'd vert. When I veg'd vert the whole way pretty much, I could get 1gpw on my lowest yielding strains and upwards of 1.5gpw on the better ones. With the horizontal veg, the bottom halves of the plants didn't produce near as well and brought down the averages to .6 to .9gpw.

With ur set up, trying to fill a canopy for a 1k, id shoot for 3' of height for good bud production. U can go for 4' but it might get a little sparse on the bottom buds. But using ur 400 mh horizontally u should be able to get a 2' bush with strong growth on the bottom branches so when u put it under the 1k for flower it should have strong enough branching to produce over the 3 to 4' vertical canopy ur trying to achieve.

After all my trials I would definitely recommend vegging vert though.

Latest posts

Latest posts