What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

how much wood ash per galon of soiless mix ?

nuitari

Actually banana peels exactly fit my needs since I cant find pure bone meal, I think peels support phosphorus too :D . 2 wins here for me.

40degsouth

Hey everyone,
Nuitari, if you’re looking for other sources for potassium, l know a lot of people use green sand as an additive to their soils. It contains many other beneficial elements and minerals and might be worth consideration.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
The only problem I have with using wood ash is the pH is 9 to 11 and when using lime together, it can come back and bite you on your ass, and can cause nutrient lock out. Use much less than you would kelp meal.

Great outdoors

The only problem I have with using wood ash is the pH is 9 to 11 and when using lime together, it can come back and bite you on your ass, and can cause nutrient lock out. Use much less than you would kelp meal.

It's pretty simple really, just replace the wood ash for lime. Wood ash raises ph the same way lime does, calcium carbonate. It actually contains less calcium than lime, so why the worry?
I just find it funny that everyone gets freaked out about wood ash raising ph while at the same time adding lime to their soil.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
It's pretty simple really, just replace the wood ash for lime. Wood ash raises ph the same way lime does, calcium carbonate. It actually contains less calcium than lime, so why the worry?
I just find it funny that everyone gets freaked out about wood ash raising ph while at the same time adding lime to their soil.

Wood ash is water soluble, lime is not. You will run into trouble quicker with a water soluble amendment with ph 9 - 11.

I haven't personally tried it, but I would be very cautious substituting wood ash for any kind of lime.

Great outdoors

Wood ash is water soluble, lime is not. You will run into trouble quicker with a water soluble amendment with ph 9 - 11.

I haven't personally tried it, but I would be very cautious substituting wood ash for any kind of lime.

But we are talking about an amendment that is added to the soil initially that is going to have time to cook first. So in the end pH will be the same as lime.

Rico Swazi

Hello everyone I hope all well.Lets get back to my question.I m thinking to use lc's soiless mix 1(5parts peat,3 parts perlite, 2 parts compost) and recipe 1(bloodmeal, bonemeal, kelpmeal).But m going to use woodash since I cannot find kelpmeal. I couldnt find any info on how much woodash to use per galon of soiless mix if someone ever used wood ash in their mixes give me some advice would be awesome.
Another question is should I drop the amount of dolomite lime since(as much as I understand) wood ash contains lots of cal and mg ?

mature compost worked over by worms will have what you need

quality compost is the foundation of healthy soil growing healthy plants

I suggest you try your mix on a plant or two without the addition of wood ash as a starting point then make adjustments

Lotto

I've used wood ash in both container and in-ground plantings for years. I'm a dumper and seldom measure.
Rough ratios for outdoor containers are; equal parts compost, finely chopped leaves or leaf mold, well rotted horse manure, spent potting soils and a couple cups of wood ash. Much larger amounts go into in-ground plantings.
Make sure your containers are made up well ahead of planting. Potassium levels have never been measured but plants have always done well.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
mature compost worked over by worms will have what you need

quality compost is the foundation of healthy soil growing healthy plants

I suggest you try your mix on a plant or two without the addition of wood ash as a starting point then make adjustments
Best suggestion in my humble opinion.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
But we are talking about an amendment that is added to the soil initially that is going to have time to cook first. So in the end pH will be the same as lime.

Yes I have a huge outdoor container that recieved maybe nearly two gallons of wood ash four months ago, top dressed, there is a huge very healthy plant in there now. So given enough time it will break down.

Because of that the wood ash will not have the same long term ph buffering properties of lime. Then again some say lime is not necessary at all in organic soil. I have never tried without it though.

Good compost should have loads of K so the conversation about wood ash for K could be a moot point.

I'm also not familiar with LC's mix at all.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
https://www.amazon.com/Down-Earth-Langbeinite-Potassium-Fertilizer/dp/B00VJN96LG?ref_=ast_sto_dp
51%2B3dIYF2mL._AC_.jpg

Down to Earth Organic Alfalfa Meal Fertilizer Mix 2.5-0.5-2.5

https://www.amazon.com/Down-Earth-Organic-Fertilizer-6-1-2/dp/B00VJN95W6?ref_=ast_sto_dp

51643UkMnQL._AC_.jpg

Down to Earth Organic Langbeinite Fertilizer Mix 0-0-22

https://www.amazon.com/Down-Earth-Organic-Fertilizer-2-5-0-5-2-5/dp/B000CO7ZYI?ref_=ast_sto_dp

514q6LTfCML._AC_.jpg

Down to Earth Organic Neem Seed Meal Fertilizer Mix 6-1-2

incidentally they have KELP MEAL also...

Latest posts

Latest posts