What's new

how much run off for a hempy style bucket?

Rukind

No, the OUTSIDE cup is an opaque cup (no holes), INSIDE cup is a transparent cup (holes) lol.. I understand its very complicated, but bare with me!

yeah, after i re-read your post, it made sense to me. it doesn't sound that complicated or anything. I just think its a lot easier to not worry about root rot and just water until you see run off. whetaver you like.

I do like that idea, though. It would be cool to see the roots and drain whenever you feel like.

unfortunately, like i said, I am doing vertical and they are tied to a screen, so it would be pointless. I am having a lot of fun with vertical, though. Everything seems to be going well.

I waited 5 days once and only 1 plant showed any signs of needing water. keep in mind, that they were only a few weeks into flowering at the time. By the end of flowering, you will want to water at least every 4th days. every 3rd is great

Rukind

I don't worry about root rot much, especially with roots excelurator, but its always nice to see whats going on in the root zone, and like you said, its cool too.

I just pour out the old water (including the sludge that would otherwise build up in a hempy rez) from the opaque cup, measure an appropriate dose of water in a spare cup (which gives me the freedom to choose how large my rez is, unlike hempy buckets), and water as usual.

To flush, I simply fill the opaque cup full of RO water, dip the clear cup in, pull it out, all clean :D Its sort of like ebb & flow. Not saying its for everyone, but if you like a nice clean rez that you have complete control over, its a win.

..One could even put a hole in the opaque cup and treat it exactly as a hempy bucket, except with all the added benefits I've mentioned, if desired.

yeah that is a pretty good idea. you could really do a lot of different things with passive hydro. I really just started using it about a year ago.

To flush, i give each plant about a gallon of plain water for 2 to 3 waterings. I make sure i get lots of run off. I also try to let them use up all the water before I cut them.

Rukind

yeah i was even reading about a 72 hour dark period before the cut. Also, with a ice water flush.

I never tried it, but i think i mite this time around.

this thread is no longer about run off lol sorry OP... I think all your questions are answered, though.