What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

how much light do cuttings in cloner really need?

Phillthy

Seven-Thirty
ICMag Donor
Veteran
come on man. 6 on and 6 off? have you read anything at all about growing? gotta do some research man.

you need very little light. shit will cost you a dime a month...lol. the more light the more cuts want to eat. they will eat themselves to death before they root if you give em too much. 18 on 6 off for veg. buy a good book and read it cover to cover and save yourself a lot of trouble.

Granger2

Veteran
I use 1 2' t-5, 18" above my cuttings, tall dome with 1 layer of white paper towel on top of dome. Get 85-100% success. In nature rooting of stems usually happens in low light at bottom of plants. Good luck. -granger

I don't light my clones, I find the more light, the longer the rooting time.. I put my cloner off in the corner of my veg area, it gets lit from the MH, but not directly, works perfectly and roots in 7-12 days

myiqis55

come on man. 6 on and 6 off? have you read anything at all about growing? gotta do some research man.

you need very little light. shit will cost you a dime a month...lol. the more light the more cuts want to eat. they will eat themselves to death before they root if you give em too much. 18 on 6 off for veg. buy a good book and read it cover to cover and save yourself a lot of trouble.

most books are outdated... just roam a decent forum like this one

G

Guest304546

yeah, what he said. Jorge Cervantes MMJ book is a good one to get started with and i'd also recommend you look at the top of the page where you will find links to grow VIDEOS too.

most books are outdated... just roam a decent forum like this one

even a 10 year old copy of Greg Green's book would help and the basics are NEVER outdated.

a book is only a GUIDE in any case, the REAL teacher is experience, ...it's your mistakes you learn the most from.

AD

i still believe 6 and 6 would work. but i'm smokin some really good killing fields. lol

G

Guest304546

i still believe 6 and 6 would work. but i'm smokin some really good killing fields. lol

well, maybe then you should just be telling us how you do rather than ask for advice you don't really want.

AD

Blaz3

IDK man..I cant say I agree about the basics never being outdated..science has and will continue to change..as breakthroughs and progress is made...horticulture is a science...nothing is written in stone,especially on botany of a plant that has been illegal almost worldwide for many decades..

true,the basics hardly ever change..BUT they CAN AND DO...take for example mycology....facts that were absolute 10-5 years ago..even 15 years ago...are now considered 100% obsolete and uneeded...

G

Guest304546

IDK man..I cant say I agree about the basics never being outdated..science has and will continue to change..as breakthroughs and progress is made...horticulture is a science...nothing is written in stone,especially on botany of a plant that has been illegal almost worldwide for many decades..

true,the basics hardly ever change..BUT they CAN AND DO...take for example mycology....facts that were absolute 10-5 years ago..even 15 years ago...are now considered 100% obsolete and uneeded...

your distinctions are meaningless to a noob just learning to grow.

frankly, until you get to a point where you are studying advanced techniques you don't need to worry about the cutting edge of science.

let's not belabor the obvious.

the point i was trying to make is that each of us has to choose whether or not we want to WAIT for our answers or HUNT for them.

i mean let's face it, this forum has been around for a LONG time and for anyone to not know that someone else MIGHT have asked this very question just hasn't looked.

AD

Bobbo4200

Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredcdobbs
what about 6 hrs light and 6 hrs dark cycle?. would they try to flower?
If you're THAT concerned with the electric usage, I'd try 24 hours dark......and.........
Good luck with that.
Haha, too funny-but true!!! :moon:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredcdobbs
what about 6 hrs light and 6 hrs dark cycle?. would they try to flower?
If you're THAT concerned with the electric usage, I'd try 24 hours dark......and.........
Good luck with that.
Haha, too funny-but true!!! :moon:
another fkn comedian. drink yer glass of milk and go to bed scooter!

G

Guest304546

i think you need to burn one. it's all about the freedom.

lol, no grasshopper, i'm only suggesting you might benefit from a touch of initiative coupled with a hint of personal responsibility, ...i think a smattering of grace and courtesy couldn't hurt either.

several people answered your simple question and you pretty much disregarded them all, and some of them, Philthy in particular, has been helping new people like you right here on this forum for YEARS!

...you think maybe they've heard, and answered, this question HUNDREDS of times? ...maybe if you did more studying on your own you'd ask better questions.

AD

oh yeah, happy trails bro, internet fighting is like internet sex, at the end of the day all you do is beat yourself.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i root up to 12 clones under a single 9w cfl, i leave it on 24/7 because it also provides the heat that they need to root. in colder weather i move up to a 12w to throw a bit more heat.

VG

Bobbo4200

Veteran
Verdant-How long does it take for your cuts to show roots? Do you use a heat-mat? I didn't think, and have heard that 18/6 is more ideal than 24/7. Thanks

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Verdant-How long does it take for your cuts to show roots? Do you use a heat-mat? I didn't think, and have heard that 18/6 is more ideal than 24/7. Thanks

the cuts show roots in 1-2 weeks. i veg under 18/6 but 24/7 for cuttings, no heatmat, just the constant heat from the cfl. peat pucks in a half size seed tray with a dome, tiny cabinet with passive ventilation

picture.php

VG

Latest posts

Latest posts