What's new

How Much Influence Does Bag Appeal Have on You?

How Much Influence Does Bag Appeal Have on You?

• Zero

Votes: 30 23.3%
  • I'm influenced 25% by the appearance of the product.

Votes: 31 24.0%
  • I'm influenced 50% by the appearance of the product.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • I'm influenced 75% by the appearance of the product.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I'm influenced 100% by the appearance of the product.

Votes: 10 7.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey you guys are impressing me..some great answers. Interesting the geographic area one is in is playing a big part in this, bigger than I expected.

3 different strains:
X-18:
picture.php

Doobies Strawberry:
picture.php

Rez's Haze ChemDog:

picture.php

supermanlives

Veteran
my friends only like hightimes looking buds. i myself dont care long as taste and stone are there. the old lady dont care either as she gets alot of rejects to smoke. i have had some amazing but ugly looking stuff.

Ganja Maker

I have to agree with most, that it is the effect. That being said though I'm not usually on the purchasing side of things. Most people always go nuts over the pretty looking stuff so I try to keep everybody happy. I want it to have some kick, or why bother.

sso

Veteran
smell was sometimes a factor.

but when you get home with that gram and smoke it, thats when and where, whether i determined to buy again the same.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
if im buying weed im mostly paying for the name or lack of one. when i used to buy weed a lot with my friends we would go by smell, least that's what we were taught since everyone who wanted to sell us weed, their final push was for us to smell the bag, touch it a little to see if it was dry enough to smoke. "finger fuck the bag" as one guy told me.

i live in a city and when i bought weed it was mostly on the street, a guy walking past would say "i got that kill" or got green or some other indication then i would stop and see if he had something worth trying $5-$10 worth of.

as we/i got older and we started seeing the "dro" "kush" "diesel" movement we had to switch to visual inspections to make our determinations. a lot of shit was frosty, but its wasn't always good, and these guys we were running across were charging more and more, up to the point of $20 for a gram. 2 blunts if you're lucky. that's a lot for a young up and comer fresh outta high school or there abouts.

these days i rarely buy weed, and when i do im prepared to pay the price beforehand because im either gonna buy some mexican outdro my fave for $5 a gram / $25-$30 1/4th or im gonna buy a $65 eigth of something with a name on it, sometimes its something easily recognizable, other times its something else that could be cindy, jack, bubblegum, or some other lesser known strain that the dealer renames or has been renamed already by the time it gets to him. but even still visual bag appeal will be one of the major deciding factors, since you rarely get to smoke test. and unless you know the person you most likely don't wanna get high with em anyway unless they seem cool enough to possibly see again in the future. more trichomes visible = better gamble than less trichomes at the same price.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
I don't live in a place where you have "options".

In California, you can walk in and inspect 20 different varities and try to make your choices based on what looks/smells best, etc.

Where I live, if you don't grow your own, you call the guy and say "i want it" and he says "ok. come get it" and you either get what he gives you or you go home with nothing.

(Which is one reason why I grow my own.)

If there are choices on the table... sampling is the only way to really know.

But in general (to try to answer your question), if I smell it before he pulls it out, it's almost always killer. If it looks great and smells great, I'm generally not disappointed in the effects.

groady-ho

as is all-too-common in my life, I succumbed to my
Veteran
Hey you guys are impressing me..some great answers. Interesting the geographic area one is in is playing a big part in this, bigger than I expected.

3 different strains:
X-18:
View Image

Doobies Strawberry:
View Image

Rez's Haze ChemDog:

View Image
i'm learning that the hard way..
here it's all about grapey/fruity purps or sours. nothing else matters..

Snagglepuss

even
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well the bag appeal does give me a small indicator,on whether or not it may have been grown properly,But thats about it,so i voted for 25%.....

hogg

In my experiece (20 yrs as a daily toker) "If it looks like crap it is crap" I believe I can tell with an accuracy of 99%+ whether bud is good by the look.

G

gloryoskie

Yup, last time I made a buy the look was 25% of total.
I'm no expert, but like most I can get high with my eyes closed now.

G

guest8905

bag appeal can mean different thing to different people though

this must be remembered always

I voted that it affects me 100% b/c imo its not JUST resin content i like to see when i look over herbs, but bud structure, how much leaf per calx ratio there is ect

and not to say that these qualities must be there for the herb to be excellent quality, its just that there is no way i would buy weed without looking at it or having info from someone who has seen it. Looks good, cool. Looks not so good, pass.

great thread btw doobie, love to have you grow some of my beans someday

dekab247

Hey DD

Hey DD

DD,

I say very little. As has been mentioned. I have had bags that looked awesome. tasted superb, and completely sucked on the buzz. Had everything going for it, but not even a 15min buzz. It is nice, but in the end it is the high...D

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bag appeal for me is about 25% of the whole picture , but to most of my people ..... its 80% or more . The frost factor is most important to these guys ..... if its stuck to the bag they're drooling for more . :dunno:

CARE giver

Sour Bubble Connoisseur
Veteran
0% only because of my influences. I've always been taught to not judge a book by its cover... especially with weed.

supermanlives

Veteran
i have had some sorry looking sativa buds. couldnt give em away. shit was soaring great buzz . no takers. another time i had fluffy buds . no takers. i put it in ziplocks and put under mattress. pulled it out and it all went like a wildfire. LOL

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
if it was just smoke for myself 0% but if its your job it HAS to be at least a 50%...

its easy to sell crap weed the looks good then good weed that looks like crap....

just my 2 cents

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
I was highly influenced by bag appeal actually until a couple months ago. I was in a club and saw a bargain bin, 5 bucks a gram, durban poison, but what caught my eye is that it said "african landrace", so I was like hell why not, 5 bucks is nothin. So I got a gram, not much crystal coverage and buds looked rolled almost. Long story short, BEST WEED I EVER SMOKED. Awake, energetic, NO paranoia, body felt like a new being, felt like running and climbing trees, and like my body was in the condition to go for it.
Since then bag appeal does not mean much, but I still like it to an extent for show off reasons, and because I love the way it sparkles.
I went back to the club to buy there whole stash of that stuff, and they were shut down, never to reopen. :wallbash:

anyway, this pretty much somes it up now.
if it was just smoke for myself 0% but if its your job it HAS to be at least a 50%...

its easy to sell crap weed the looks good then good weed that looks like crap....

just my 2 cents

geeker

Private Poll
My friends I’m doing a little research on a couple things I’m curious about. I’m posting a couple polls in different forums; I’d be quite honored if you will vote in them if you happen across them. And your comments in the threads greatly appreciated as well.
I’m curious what might cause people to first grade cannabis a lot of times just by the aesthetic appearance of it? I hear it over and over again in my threads, from many different types of cannabis lovers how, after looking though my images, they can’t wait to get some of the strain I’m displaying. A lot of the time they’re willing to bet it is killer. I’m quite aware of resin content being one of the things Peeps are looking for but I’ve had snow crystal resin covered buds that hardly got one high. Another thing that sparked my interest was when I was visiting with a local collective last year the boys there were discussing how their pricing depended 75% on “bag appeal” and they claimed that was the first thing their patients were looking for.
I’m somewhat an old timer-57, what I mean by that is all my life we smoked the product then judged it from its effects. Bag appeal I don’t think was even in my dictionary until 20 years ago. We appreciated large colas when we saw them but that was not often. Now as a Med patient, who benefits from using cannabis, that sight first evaluation by other patients, one that influences their purchase, raises my curiosity levels even more.
Thanks..DD

bag appeal is a factor, but not the dominating one. more importantly, how does one judge bag appeal on more than just an individual by individual basis? for instance, some people like neatly trimmed buds, while others prefer what could be considered hastily trimmed buds with some of the sugar leaf left in place. some prefer super stinky while others prefer something with a subtle pleasant smell. some go the way of the pot snob and wont even look at it with out hearing a name like "blueberry diesel", while others are of the opinion "it's green, lets smoke it!".

as an example i will use myself. i'm not too concerned about the buds being neatly manicured nor am i too concerned about smell, though both are factors and both are libel to change depending on my mood.

point being, what i find appealing in my bag may not be what the next guy would find appealing.