What's new

How much electricity can my Sub Panel handle?

Here's Sub Panel that's in the future grow room
d9e429a5.jpg

And here is the main panel is connects to.
7cbe1820.jpg

29599ee3.jpg

Any help is much appreciated, I'm trying to figure out what is a safe amount of Wattage I can pump through here.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It appears that the double-pole breaker on the top right of the main panel might feed the sub unless there is more than the one sub panel. Try turning on the "new shed lights", and turn off the breaker in the sub that feeds them. After you verify that those lights are controlled by that breaker, turn the breaker back on and turn off the 100 amp breaker on the top right of the main. If the lights go off with it, then that is the correct feeder.

If that is the correct breaker, you have 100 amps feeding your sub-panel. You would need to deduct the power used by the other circuits, but you should have plenty of power available unless you are going really big.

I dont plant on going REALLY big, I just want to have between 2-5k Watts for lights and propbably 1-2k Watts in AC and Fans. Plus a little veg room that wont be over 500-1000 watts.

Seem doable with this set-up?

I'm gonna have my electrician friend come over hopefully today or this weekend but I just wanted to know what all this stuff means, I don't know shit about electrical.

G

greenmatter

100 amps ........ but try to keep the load at 80%

with what you are talking about running that panel is plenty

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looks like you are talking about a total of around 8000 watts, or 33 amps of 240. You've got plenty if the above assumptions are correct. As Greenmatter said, make sure to stay at or under 80% loading of breakers feeding loads of over 3 hours duration.

L

lazy gardener

would anyone have a picture of this sub panel hook up they can post for me please. im trying to figure out how to wire and add a sub panel i can send to the shed but pics wont come up. what size wire would you all recommend for a 60 amp subpanel and how far can i stretch this wire to my location? thank you with any and all help

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
would anyone have a picture of this sub panel hook up they can post for me please. im trying to figure out how to wire and add a sub panel i can send to the shed but pics wont come up. what size wire would you all recommend for a 60 amp subpanel and how far can i stretch this wire to my location? thank you with any and all help

I don't have any pictures handy, but for a 60 amp sub you would want #6 copper wire. It will stay under a 3% voltage drop with a one-way wire length of 120 feet for 240v loads and 60 feet for 120v loads. You are allowed up to 5% for "residential" loadings, but I would be concerned about HID lamps dropping off line when other loads started at that level.

hereigrow

Load calculation : watts devided by volts = amps
Voltage drop can be a problem you need to find your total load and then do a resistance calculation for proper size wire...pick up a copy of the NEC it has all the tables and calculations you will ever need..or hire a qaulified electrician so you don't kill yourself or burn down thw neighborhood...just saying

Latest posts

Latest posts