What's new

How Marijuana Became Legal

Skip

Veteran
This Fortune Magazine article does an excellent review of America's changing marijuana scene. They review the history of medical cannabis and discuss what is legal now and where.

Interesting factoids include the refusal of Eli Lilly to disclose any information to Fortune magazine about their sales of cannabis products in the early 20th century (refused saying they had other "competing priorities"). That's a nice self-indictment of the pHarma industy.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/09/11/mag...zing.fortune/index.htm?postversion=2009091116

Jnugg

Veteran
Very good read,as poster ^ sais,best read in a LONG time.

The reporter seems to have done his/her homework before writing this article and I really like all the facts that they have to back their/our story up,they had quite a few strong and valid points they were trying to get across.

H

Hal

What a GREAT! article!!!

I know a few folks I'm going to send it to, I don't think I've read many (if any at all) that told the story so quickly and efficiently.

j6p

http://money.cnn.com/2009/09/11/mag...zing.fortune/index.htm?postversion=2009091116

If a state doesn't tightly limit what "medical use" means, the camel can get its nose under the tent.
First rate article. This is the most thorough and objective "mainstream" writeup I have seen about MMJ and its relationship to legalization. I was relieved to see a paragraph explaining the option of vaporization instead of smoking, since smoke inhalation is frequently used to argue against medical use. Most people who are unfamiliar with cannabis never heard of vaporizers. Also encouraging to see it appear in such a widely read credible publication. Thanks for posting, Skip.

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
Fortune said:
How marijuana became legal
Medical marijuana is giving activists a chance to show how a legitimized pot business can work. Is the end of prohibition upon us?

By Roger Parloff, senior editor
September 11, 2009: 4:20 PM ET

By Roger Parloff, senior editor
September 11, 2009: 4:20 PM ET

Right then, I knew it would be a good article :biglaugh:

Jnugg

Veteran
Right then, I knew it would be a good article :biglaugh:

Yeah I noticed that too NiteTiger....LOL he posted the article @ 4:20 p.m.!

Honestly the best read in a very long time,straight facts,no govt. propagandi B.S. involved,just straight cold hard facts.

I may have to email this article to Gov. Charlie Christ,seeing as he just bassed a new Fla state law...if you live in Fla. and have 24+ plants growing and get busted you will be held and charged as a trafficer?!!!!!

Seriously everyone in every home in every state should be allowed to have 6 mature flowering females and up to 12 immature plants (clones,vegging clones,mother plants).

Florida needs to step up and take action and adopt the Californian ways.

Given the chance,we have a lot to offer the MJ community,we have the infamous Miami Haze,the legendary Gainsville Green,Plenty of awesome kush crosses going around,and more haze and haze crosses then i can shake a stick at.I myself when I get to the breeding stages of my experience would like to cross some NYCD with BOG's Sour Bubble BX3 (if I ever can get my hands on his genetics) and maybe a GDP with SS's Chronic.

Back on topic,awesome read,everyone should email this article to everyone in their contacts list!

Skip

Veteran
I was relieved to see a paragraph explaining the option of vaporization instead of smoking, since smoke inhalation is frequently used to argue against medical use. Most people who are unfamiliar with cannabis never heard of vaporizers. Also encouraging to see it appear in such a widely read credible publication. Thanks for posting, Skip.

In addition to vaporizers, the prohibitionist forces also fail to acknowledge that many of the sickest patients who can't smoke anything, EAT their cannabis.

That means not one study of bad effects regarding smoke can apply to them. It means that cannabis is much safer being eaten in proper doses.

Likewise as big PHARMA fights cannabis to ensure their profits, they ignore their own history of selling all sorts of cannabis remedies including powdered cannabis, cannabis tinctures and extracts.

No doubt big Pharma has all the proof that marijuana works as medicine but is keeping it hidden from view to protect "competing priorities" as they put it.

And you can be sure if marijuana is ever to be legal on the federal level it will only be after Big Pharma has ensured that it will be the major supplier of the drug at inflated prices.

Plus I don't like all this heavy industrial processing of the plant to extract its ingredients individually, when big pharma already knows that it can easily take pure marijuana and put it into perfect dosages without having to process or break it down, and it will be far more effective as such.

ChronJohn

"Until now I had assumed that my haphazard, stale, youthful experiences with marijuana would need no refreshing in order for me to write a thorough article about medical cannabis. Now I'm not so sure."

What an awesome reporter! You know he went out and bought a bag off the street after the medical dispensary declined to solve his "quandary" and burned one down for "research purposes" :biglaugh:

Good article Skip, thanks a lot for posting I know I'll be forwarding it to lots of people!

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Great article.... hard for the writer to put in anti-cannabis stuff but they still managed. More accurate title would have been "How Cannabis became RE-Legalized" Heh.

Couple things I thought were a bit over the top and seemed like maybe the editor had them added or something? They just smack you in the face after reading such good copy.

If communities cannot adequately regulate the dispensaries, they'll descend into unsightly, youth-seducing, crime-ridden playgrounds for gang-bangers, and this flirtation with legalization will conclude the way the last one did: with a swift and merciless swing of the pendulum.
Ummmm.... Kinda harsh don'tcha think? That kind of activity goes with the neighborhood and the ethical level of the business men in that area, not dispensaries. To me it sounds like he's talking about a liquor store in the hood, not the dispensaries I've been to.

Marijuana, in contrast, consists of the dried, ground-up flowers of a highly variable plant. It is made up of at least 400 compounds, including more than 60 that are unique to cannabis, known as cannabinoids, several of which are believed to have therapeutic effects. The proportions of these compounds vary greatly from plant to plant. A plant may attract harmful molds.
Nice little jab of ???? on the end there. Sticks out like a sore thumb, compared to the rest of the paragraph of great info.

Great article. I have to hand it to the guy, he really wrote up a great piece. Just a couple smudges to fix and it would have been perfect. LOL

Thanks for posting this up. :D

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
So rare to see a non-divisive article on the subject. GREAT ONE...! Thx...

Organiic

Very informative, truth. A connoisseur or a person who's never smoked before could respect that. That's progression.