What's new

how many wet pounds are needed

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I dont trim wet. I hang the plants until there dry. I have gotten pretty good at estimating the RH. So I trim when the plants are around 60% RH then straight into jars. Don't weight anything until I need to put a pack together then I weight it up.

I dont see a issue wit hit if thats your way. I would put it the other way and say 90% dont weigh until dry. It really doent matter as long as your still weighing dry before you release the pack.

D

DHF

I guess Im saying that some plants I dry past 62%; the denser the nug at the end, the more weight that is recovered. The OG Kush is super dense, compact nugs, while Sour D cures to a more fluffy end product. I can only fit 5-6 oz of Sour in a 1/2 lb bag, while i can fit close to 10 oz of OG in same size bag. I also believe stem size/strengh comes into play as well.

I can see where you question my findings, you would think no mater what all strains across the board would be the same. Only thing is, some strains like to be cured at 62%, like the OG' while the Sours and hazes like to be at about 58-60% humidity. If I sent the Sour out at 62% peeps would complain, because its too moist.

I have 10+ Caliber III's, all within a degree or two. I have two flip rooms, and one side is only 1K vert, and its on perpetual. I dont always weigh wet and dry, but I have many times to get an idea of what is going on after an estimated crop with a partner fell short. He stole some, and I got to the bottom of it.

rbdf
Thanks for the response RBDF , and I totally see whats`re getting at now and it makes total sense........The denser indica dom nugs will appear to still be moist unless goin through a lengthier cure @ 62% but.......

They will still burn and not form any molds or mildews inside the containers , and that`s what`s most important in maintaining product freshness and max allowable moisture when goin to market IME.....

Not saying that dryin em out more won`t make em stinkier , even possibly tastier , but it also degrades said product from more added exposure to the 3 enemies......

Light , Air , and Heat...and makes em crumblier as well...anyways....thanks fer clearin that up Bro.......and DF.......I`m with Hammerhead in that I know very few actual growers that do this for a living and weigh wet product , cuz it`s meaningless with the different densities as well as more leaf or less leaf of different varieties , cuz X can be anything and bottom line is what it weighs when it`s all said and done.......

Peace.....DHF.....:ying:......

Last edited:
O

OrganicOzarks

Why the fuck are you weighing wet shit? Must have to much time on your hands or something. :)

DrFever

Veteran
I am sorry guys but i would think after a grower comes to harvest 90 days + he is excited and he may take the first few plants??? and weight them wet giving him a idea on what his average may be per plant
Yes hammer head but again you got to remember many many growers don't hang there buds but rather cut trim and screen specially when your dealing with lots of buds.
As for me my drying process, I slow dry place buds on screen temps 65 degrees un light area with plenty of fans after 96 hrs i place all buds into garbage bags press out air and leave them there for 8 hrs sweating the buds.
As outside of the buds are dry inside is still moist after 8 hrs i place back on screens for 24 - 30 hrs bag them there done stem snaps nicely everything is good , i don't worry about curing as curing begins from the moment plants are chopped , and i am pretty sure most big comercial grows don;t worry about curing they woprry about getting the shit out :)

Attachments

• Picture 489.jpg
    Picture 489.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 12
  • Picture 473.jpg
    Picture 473.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Picture 490.jpg
    Picture 490.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 17
B

BasementGrower

its different for alot of strains bro. ive had em anywere from 68-85 % water .. the rest dry buds.

D

DHF

This thread was created for the express reason of discrediting Ranger in the 3 lbs per light thread since it was expressly mentioned as the 12 lb range for what the wet pics looked like.......and......

You trying to insist "in your opinion" that when a grower harveys he`s curious as to know what the avg wet plant weighs before bucking and chopping , just cements my decision more about your character and need for an audience......and again......

Yeah......the dry/cure process begins immediately once chopped , and makin sure the final product stays at constant RH levels once left in the bags /jugs is PARAMOUNT in preventing product loss from molds and mildews , as well as not dryin em out too much that costs dollars per gram into the atmosphere.......so.......

Just tryin ta help folks know howta get there......and.......not keep shit stirred......

Can you say the same ?.........No more from me in your threads........

Peace....DHF......:ying:......

DrFever

Veteran
This thread was created for the express reason of discrediting Ranger in the 3 lbs per light thread since it was expressly mentioned as the 12 lb range for what the wet pics looked like.......and......

You trying to insist "in your opinion" that when a grower harveys he`s curious as to know what the avg wet plant weighs before bucking and chopping , just cements my decision more about your character and need for an audience......and again......

Yeah......the dry/cure process begins immediately once chopped , and makin sure the final product stays at constant RH levels once left in the bags /jugs is PARAMOUNT in preventing product loss from molds and mildews , as well as not dryin em out too much that costs dollars per gram into the atmosphere.......so.......

Just tryin ta help folks know howta get there......and.......not keep shit stirred......

Can you say the same ?.........No more from me in your threads........

Peace....DHF......:ying:......

It sure was there buddy lmaooooo and i made this thread to wake up some people in here ,Specially the liars claiming there so called stupid yields which i am sure you rep
Here was my post from that thread
DHF i am far from being arrogant just being truthful that is whats great about the first amendment i find it ironic how everyone tends to pull these amazing yields out of there ass
cause in the real world anyone pulling 4 - 8 oz of a plant has done Excellent.
now everyone seems to be pulling pounds and crazy yields off one plant like its normal and that my friend is where i draw the line to BS
i can guarntee you your not going to pull 8 oz a plant doing a Sog as your only harvesting top have of the plant other parts are hash , oil production
Your lucky to pull 2.5 0z dry per plant from a sog cause i reality that would be 10 oz wet per plant NOT going to happen packing plants in a area

Yes i do agree 2.5 - 3 pounds are achievable with that certain hybrid strain c02 and other elements
What is really happening???? is hey if were going to say yea i did this much well it better be well dam documented and if its here say????? well we know how that works in court means nothing right
There is to much lies going on but again its the internet la la land

And for anyone wanting to see what hahaha what 11.25 pounds looks like look at the pics i posted does that look like 45 + pounds wet does it hahahaha enough said

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=246018&page=9

l.jpg

I would rather eat the above meal than wast time with worthless activities like weighing up wet bud.
Man that looks good. Truly messing me up right now. We have no place in my city to get that kinda cuisine.
Damn!

PeopleWish

First of all it is what it is.

Secondly anything over 55% relative humidty over 30 days is asking for mold.
Premium smokibility has a moisture content of 5-7%.

Herb stored at 62% does not crumble but instead tares which indicates higher than desired moisture content. Perfect consistency does not crble to dust but crumbles to a granular appearance nonetheless when rolled between thumb and pointer.

I have had the luxury to use this http://www.veriteq.com/humidity-temperature-data-loggers/index.htm to verify.

D

DHF

First of all it is what it is.

Secondly anything over 55% relative humidty over 30 days is asking for mold.
Premium smokibility has a moisture content of 5-7%.

Herb stored at 62% does not crumble but instead tares which indicates higher than desired moisture content. Perfect consistency does not crble to dust but crumbles to a granular appearance nonetheless when rolled between thumb and pointer.

I have had the luxury to use this http://www.veriteq.com/humidity-temperature-data-loggers/index.htm to verify.
In the spirit of Christmas , I won`t argue about stored optimum RH in glass or bagged and tagged containers for market if yas like your product at 55% to as you say "prevent mold"........but.......

I`m talkin about 62% inside the bags after a week to 10 days and out the door...not after 30 days hangin or whatever...and........

I assure all here that molds cannot proliferate inside said bags unless extreme heating and rapid cooling occur to cause undue condensation .......and again..... Not wanting to argue , but....

How does one measure 5-7% inherent moisture left in a nug for the "perfect" crumbling effect..........

Please folks.......Let`s try ta keep it real here ........No offense PW......

The 3 enemies of pot are heat , light , and air....so.....keepin it dry enoughta smoke in a lightproof environment , preferably frozen till used was my preference .......and.....

This thread is about yield first right ? .....

Peace.....DHF......:ying:........

Last edited:

PeopleWish

Not an argument, just discourse.

I just consulted with a good friend who was a lab tech at a reputable testing facility.

The way they achieve the 5-7% was threw many controlled studies that involved bringing the sample to ~0% humidity via oven heat. The sample was weighed prior and after heating. They then scaled RH:Weight. This method has been replicated many times and have been tested with very sensitive devices used to calc RH (@<~1%) and calibrate "hygrometers".

This is how they found the optimal range of 5-7% moisture per given sample.

I apologize for engaging in dialog out of context, the only weight that matters is when the flowers is dried t the appropriate RH, trimmed to acceptable consistency and deboned.

Any other other inquiry or concern is due impatience.

Happy Holidays

belgowiet

:tiphat::ying::ying::woohoo: maybe there is a market for , do you wanna buy dry or wet lol, somebody in a hurry.

haha believe it or not but where i live there is a market for :)
for wet bud you pay around 1/5 of the price of dried buds
and imo a rather dry and cure it myself...

D

DHF

Not an argument, just discourse.

I just consulted with a good friend who was a lab tech at a reputable testing facility.

The way they achieve the 5-7% was threw many controlled studies that involved bringing the sample to ~0% humidity via oven heat. The sample was weighed prior and after heating. They then scaled RH:Weight. This method has been replicated many times and have been tested with very sensitive devices used to calc RH (@<~1%) and calibrate "hygrometers".

This is how they found the optimal range of 5-7% moisture per given sample.

I apologize for engaging in dialog out of context, the only weight that matters is when the flowers is dried t the appropriate RH, trimmed to acceptable consistency and deboned.

Any other other inquiry or concern is due impatience.

Happy Holidays
Duly noted and see where you`re coming from.....but....

Heating product is a no-no IME regardless of the pursuit of knowledge , since it most definitely changes results.....regardless.......

Happy Holidaze...DHF.....:ying:....

Latest posts

Latest posts