What's new

How many Keepers do you find in a Pack??

Sideways

How many Keepers do you find in a Pack??

Having finished my outdoor for the year and indoor for a time, and having some mixed results, I thought I might start a thread and get some input from everyone here.
How many keepers is everyone lucky enough to find in a pack of commercial seeds- any breeder or type is welcome? I know that it it arbitrary, everyone has different tastes, medical needs, yield requiremements, etc. But, if you grew out a pack of seeds, how many might be keepers? Say knocking one of your existing loves out of the room/house?(and not your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend) I am talking cant live without out running it again.
I am not here to bash any breeders AT ALL. Just posting my experiences. My time and space is valuable and running gear that does not cut it.....just does not cut it! It annoys me that i have grown out half/full packs of seed and have not found more keepers.
A little background- Been growing mostly outdoors for a long while, I had been getting local seeds, but they became difficult to get as circumstances change and got tired of the same old stuff. This year I grew 7 different strains, all from seed, purchased throughthe usual suspects :Some outdoors, some indoors. As I said,I had mixed results with some of the strains I ran this year:

All from seed-

C4 Chimera- Outdoors Started five, two females- 0 Keepers- Kinda peppery/hay smelling- not that great of a yielder in comparison to others. Wont run again. Also, very suceptible to mold.
Super skunk Sensi seeds- Outdoors Started five and got four females- 0 keepers. They were very uniform in growth, and pheno mid sized leaves- and very very vigorous. They also yielded great and were lemon smelling in scent in flower, but it did not translate in flavor and they did not trich up as much as I would like. Wont run again.
Blue Moonshine- DJ 5 seeds, three females- 0 Keepers- I know I will get slammed for this, but it just didnt do it for me. They were all very uniform, almost IBL like, purple stems throughout, some purpleing in the buds, Ok trichs, very slow growing and low yielding. I was hoping that the smoke would make up for it but at 45 days cured, there is almost none of the blueberry smell I was hoping for. From the description, they were supposed to be tight indica-ish nugs, not for me, got some foxtailing, but I dont necessarly like that- just me. On the fence on this one.....might pop the rest.
Blue Satellite 2.2- 4 started, 2 females- 0 keepers. Looked like most others, nothing special. Average trichs, almost no smell, low yielding, bummer.
Roadkill x DC- Cannacopia- 3 started, 2 females. Large dark green leaves, Indica dom, excellent yielders- huge dense colas! nice trich coverage, some purpleing at harvest. The smell definitely has some real skunk undertones. I think these were DC dominant, I will definitely be running again to try to find the skunkier pheno.
Cheese X DC- Cannacopia- 3 started, 1 female- . Slightly taller and less DC dominant smaller yield. Nice trichs, musky scent, lime green nugs. I will run again, but not necessarily any keepers yet.
Sensi Star- Paradise- 4 started, 1 female- Just great herb. The female I got was VERY sativa dominant, the males were Ind Dominant. Huge, lime green Baseball and 2 litre bottle sized colas, medium density, Stinky like lemons, B.O. and skunk. Awesome trich coverage all the way to the tips of the leaves.The only thing is there were A LOT of leaves, a bitch to trim. MMMMMMMMMMMM....... Bubble hash! Took clones- Def Keeper!

Phew.... blabbed on for longer than i thought..... Stoooonnnneeer. So post away- How many keepers are you all finding- 1,2,5 out of ten??????

sneakinman13

Veteran
i think it really comes down the the genetics in general. like my buddy has this masterkushXblackhaze and out of the last 3 seeds i grew. i would consider them all keepers. althought 1 of those 3 was on a hole dif level of chronic..
but ivvve grown out female seeds northern lights and only found 1 keeper out of 4 pack..

so idk .. i just think it all comes down to the genetics in my personal experience.
and if your indoor i would say your climate can have a big part. like if its to hot for a certain pheno it might not grow so well. but if u took that same plant and put it in a perfect enviorment it could grow to be some ultra dank....
too many variables i think....

sorry if my post didnt help u at all but i was bored and figured i would chime in! : )

S

Surfr

Out of all the seeds I have grown over the last 6 years, I always seem to find at least one keeper in each pack.. Choose your genetics wisely.

Fuel

Very interresting in fact.
One can return the question : how many seeds do you need for satisfy your ambitions ?

big up, sideways

Z

Zoolander

I think you should find a keeper in every pack of seeds or it's just not worth the money or time:2cents:

purple_man

Veteran
a hard one...

depends of what one likes and prefers... trash of some man is the treasure of another one or so...

blessss

ArcticBlast

It's like a goddamned Buick Regal
Veteran
maybe you're not harvesting at the right time or curing properly?

this is not an attack, just a suggestion..i dont know!

ArcticBlast

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I find most strains need two packs to find a keeper. I think the way MR. Nice packs his seeds at 15~ is for a reason and I wish more seed vendors would do that.

Smokeone1

Look harder my friend, i know for a fact their are plenty of great clones in the state of ohio.

stanky
It's not that easy. I try to follow the rules, and not let people know that I want grow. I never understood why people say never tell anyone, and then trade and by clones from other. How do I go about this??

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
1-2 keepers per pack that Ive been thru. On the other hand out of the seeds Im gifted(not from a seed-site) Ive had about 60% turn out to be fire. Lately I dont by seeds from seed companies.

3dDream

Matter that Appreciates Matter
Veteran
nvisionary - I think it's more than just hack weed. One man's trash you know.

Zealious

The world of poly hybrids..

If you are working with solid genetics than many will be winners. If you are working with poly hybrids you will get amazing and dirt.

People dont realize that the canabis plant is one of the most geneticly advanced plants in the world.. There are sooo many traits between the plant its unreal.

To put it into perspective... this wonderous plant has nearly as many genes as a dog.. so think of that time your terrier and pamaranian/chow mut make pupies and each puppie is completely diferent. one looks like a damn grey hound...

I have limited experince with genetics and not to bash any breeders but there are very few highly stablized strains out there. Think of these as pure breeds in canine terms.. and the problem here is the same... pure breds are genetic freaks and have flaws. just like in the canine world...

now a mutt... will last you years...

So just pick a nice polyhybrid that has the type of background you like and spin the wheel and see what you get.

Most importantly have fun.. and remember that breeding is a art form. Its more than just numbers.

Zealious

Oh and I have a theory about fem seeds..

SOme time there is only a hand ful of phenos that a strain can put off that was truly intended by the breeder...

If you are using fem seeds of a strain than in theory if the seeds were self sexed then the genetics will be IDENTICAL almost like a clone.. THERE FORE you will get more of the phenos that the breeder intended...

That might save a lot of people a lot of time. just dont forget... That the sex of a plant is not in stone. A plant decides its own sex on its own time. Around the 4-6wks veg. i want to say its mainly in the 4th.

There is a really good thread some where around here about increasing odds of geting fems.. might want to check that out.. that could def help u find that keeper quicker.

Zealious

Tissue culture will be the future of cloning and shipping genetics IMO.

maybe.

How so . u just get a mini plant culture in the mail.. like the size of a half dolar... maybe 5 of them.. ?

I like your thoughts here..

oh and I also like the statement above about how 1-2 keepers from breeder packs but home bred = 60 percent...

I think this is just a sidefect of the comercial lvl of some breeders.. they are not able to watch over there babies like a home grower would

Hazy Lady

Prom Night Dumpster Baby
ICMag Donor
Veteran
All from seed-

C4 Chimera- Outdoors Started five, two females- 0 Keepers- Kinda peppery/hay smelling- not that great of a yielder in comparison to others. Wont run again. Also, very suceptible to mold.
Super skunk Sensi seeds- Outdoors Started five and got four females- 0 keepers. They were very uniform in growth, and pheno mid sized leaves- and very very vigorous. They also yielded great and were lemon smelling in scent in flower, but it did not translate in flavor and they did not trich up as much as I would like. Wont run again.
Blue Moonshine- DJ 5 seeds, three females- 0 Keepers- I know I will get slammed for this, but it just didnt do it for me. They were all very uniform, almost IBL like, purple stems throughout, some purpleing in the buds, Ok trichs, very slow growing and low yielding. I was hoping that the smoke would make up for it but at 45 days cured, there is almost none of the blueberry smell I was hoping for. From the description, they were supposed to be tight indica-ish nugs, not for me, got some foxtailing, but I dont necessarly like that- just me. On the fence on this one.....might pop the rest.
Blue Satellite 2.2- 4 started, 2 females- 0 keepers. Looked like most others, nothing special. Average trichs, almost no smell, low yielding, bummer.
Roadkill x DC- Cannacopia- 3 started, 2 females. Large dark green leaves, Indica dom, excellent yielders- huge dense colas! nice trich coverage, some purpleing at harvest. The smell definitely has some real skunk undertones. I think these were DC dominant, I will definitely be running again to try to find the skunkier pheno.
Cheese X DC- Cannacopia- 3 started, 1 female- . Slightly taller and less DC dominant smaller yield. Nice trichs, musky scent, lime green nugs. I will run again, but not necessarily any keepers yet.
Sensi Star- Paradise- 4 started, 1 female- Just great herb. The female I got was VERY sativa dominant, the males were Ind Dominant. Huge, lime green Baseball and 2 litre bottle sized colas, medium density, Stinky like lemons, B.O. and skunk. Awesome trich coverage all the way to the tips of the leaves.The only thing is there were A LOT of leaves, a bitch to trim. MMMMMMMMMMMM....... Bubble hash! Took clones- Def Keeper!

Phew.... blabbed on for longer than i thought..... Stoooonnnneeer. So post away- How many keepers are you all finding- 1,2,5 out of ten??????

You are not giving yourself the best chance of finding a keeper. You can't start 3 seeds here and 3 seeds there and call that a sample, you run them outside, there are far too many variables outdoors to make a sound judgment with a single grow.
You dismiss them without ever running a cut - a huge mistake ime - and you don't run the same plant indoors?. You may well have thrown 1/2 a dozen 'keepers' in your 23 years, how could you know?. my $0.02

stanky1

It's not that easy. I try to follow the rules, and not let people know that I want grow. I never understood why people say never tell anyone, and then trade and by clones from other. How do I go about this??

I have been in the "marijuana scene" in my area for about 5 years and just by talking to people and meeting people, not just any people, feel people out. I know that being my age and living my particualr life style that knowing other people that grow come easier than one may think. I hope i don't appear to seem careless and too open about my situation, cause that is not the case at all, there are a few select people i know that have nice strain collections and they have been kind enough to share. I have gained these peoples trust and they have gained mine. Just remember be careful, an elite cut isnt worth going to jail for.

-stanky

Sideways

Very interresting in fact.
One can return the question : how many seeds do you need for satisfy your ambitions ?

big up, sideways

Thanks for the replies everyone...... thought I'd just throw it out there to see what was what..... it seems the concensus is that 1 keeper in a pack is doin alright.... hmmmmm, makes me wonder, maybe I am going about it i the wrong way. Maybe I should be growing out the whole pack.... looking for a momma and proceeding from there. Its just so much more fun to grow a few of each hoping for a nice variety.... and maybe a couple of mothers, ya know.

It just seems like sometimes......everything is too similar? I dont know.....It smells like weed, looks like weed, smokes like weed, is weed buuut, obviously have not found what I'm looking for- the seed collection is definitely growing though, and I have high hopes.

As far as the the seeds I need to satisfy my ambitions....only time and my addiction to seedbay will tell! (I have picked up seeds from elsewhere in the past)
Just looking for a couple of girlies that have IT- smells, tastes, trichs,yields, big titties, a nice arse, money, love sports, and a great high- does not have to be toooo tooooo stony but I like a nice pop.
I digressed somewhere in the middle there......lol