What's new

How many day/night hours for different veggies?

kiwiboy

Just wondering where to put the veggies for production. In the veggie room with 20hr light, or in the flower room with 12hr light.

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Depends on species..

Chillies for example automatically flower after 10-18 weeks growing period.

Most varieties prefer more than 12 hours of light during periods of growth.

Hope this helps

Have some Bhut Jolokia hot peppers seeds, something for the cats...nah, they probably won't get near those!

Ya most flower auto or short light, some long, dunno, depends what time of year they fruit.

What are you growing?

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Alliums are the only other photoperiodic plants I can think of. Spinach is also dioecious like cannabis, but I'm not sure if it's photoperiodic or not.

kiwiboy

Some short-day obligate plants are:

Chrysanthemum
Coffee
Poinsettia
Strawberry
Tobacco, var. Maryland Mammouth
Common duckweed, (Lemna minor)
Cocklebur (Xanthium)
Maize - tropical cultivars only
Some short-day facultative plants are:

Hemp (Cannabis)
Cotton (Gossypium)
Rice
Sugar cane

Some long-day obligate plants are:

Carnation (Dianthus)
Henbane (Hyoscyamus)
Oat (Avena)
Ryegrass (Lolium)
Clover (Trifolium)
Bellflower (botany) (Campanula carpatica)
Some long-day facultative plants are:

Pea (Pisum sativum)
Barley (Hordeum vulgare)
Lettuce (Lactuca sativa)
Wheat (Triticum aestivum, spring wheat cultivars)
Turnip (Brassica rapa)

copy and paste from wiki

Wait...What?

Veteran
chiles are not photoperiod-sensitive (kristiansen/andersen 1993) they flower and set fruit based on temperature. same with tomatoes, cukes, eggplant, and everything else in solanacaea. also, its the average temp not the temp differential

The optimum temperature for flowering and fruit set in pepper is 16°C (Pressman et al 1998), while the optimum 24-hour temperature for yield is about 21°C. However, the day/night temperature difference is of minor importance compared with the effect of the 24-hour mean temperature for fruit set, fruit development and the fruit growth period of capsicum (Bakker 1989).

the only thing in a vegetable garden that would be photoperiod-sensitive is onions, which come in short-day, day-neutral, and long-day.

would be nice to have a complete list of all the light need of vegetables and see how many of them can live in both veg and flowering stage.

We tryed to grow some basil and it was doing great in the veg stage (18/6) but in the flowering stage (12/12) it started to get weird enough to be moved out the box. We left couple cutting in the flowering box and are still alive but weird looking. We also tryed to set couple cuttings under a (24/0) but it didnt' do well.

by having two cabinets, one for flowering and one for veg, I think we will keep some space for general vegatables aswell.

Tomatoes do best under a 16-hour photoperiod from start to finish. No need to cut back the light cycle to 12/12 as they are not short day flowering plants. Which is why most grow shops don't like you to ask when to cut back the light cycle to make your "tomatoes" (nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more) flower. The only requirement for tomatoes indoors is that you have to hand pollinate the flowers by lightly tapping on them daily once they appear or applying an electric toothbrush or vibrator to accomplish the same objective. You'll know the fruit has set when the flower stem gets really stiff. Basil is also day neutral and there is no need to cut back the light cycle. In fact, you don't want basil to flower (unless you're going for basil seeds) as the basil gets bitter once it has flowered. Peppers are day neutral as well and like about 16 hours of artificial light each day as well.

Hope this helps...

GanjaPharma

i have 4 vertical bare bulbs in my room and i stuck some tomatoes in there (above and behind the ganja plants. planted them in February as seeds (along with a bunch of ganja seeds) and now that the ganja is two weeks from done ....so are the tomatoes! i have big green tomatoes just starting to turn red. and all they drank/ate was my waste water/ferts, and all the light was spill over from the main grow. i am thinking of putting in a few shelves for lettuce etc....will be nice this winter

C

Carl Carlson

Lettuce...cool. I'm going to grow some lettuce in my veg room just for the fuck of it. Seeds have been sprouted for the outdoor garden, but there will be extras.

C

Carl Carlson

i have 4 vertical bare bulbs in my room and i stuck some tomatoes in there (above and behind the ganja plants. planted them in February as seeds (along with a bunch of ganja seeds) and now that the ganja is two weeks from done ....so are the tomatoes! i have big green tomatoes just starting to turn red. and all they drank/ate was my waste water/ferts, and all the light was spill over from the main grow. i am thinking of putting in a few shelves for lettuce etc....will be nice this winter

can't wait to hear about the taste of the tomatoes.

Would be nice if you could make a short report on http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=3455809

ive got my cfls on 24hr for some little seedlings. mostly flowers. bad idea?

I succesfully used 24/0 with tomatoes, chili, basil and eruca sativa.

After growing, basil reacted poorly to 24/0 light (it prefers 18/6), so I think 24/0 is good only for germination..

I also tryed some old flowers seeds and they didn't germinated.
I don't know if it is because they are old or if flowers need less light.

BrownThumb

I was just looking for the best photo period for tomato's and the consensus is 14 hours. Anything more or less does not increase yields. Since tom.'s are monoecious, you need to handle pollination by hand or by fan unless you have bees in your grow room. 20 hours is the suggested ideal for sweet peppers. Anything more or less does not increase yields. Small leafy greens can take constant light from the bit of reading I have done. Some of the info gathered here: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/lights/msg0116544117544.html

Latest posts

Latest posts