What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How long does it take to create a stable variety

unklemike

Hello everyone and thanks for your responses. Excuse me if I say things that make no sense as I virtually know nothing about breeding. What I meant by a stabilized strain is the offspring having a small amount of variation from parents that are the same strain. Im not sure if cannabis or other plants that are bred work the same way as let's say pure breed dogs. For example dog breeders mate two st Bernards and the offspring are St Bernards each having a slight variation. I don't know if dog breeding is a good analogy or works even remotely close,but that's what I meant by stable

TnTLabs

Thanks for the clarification.
What's funny about this is that the absolute best breeders (Chimera for example) don't charge $100 a pack for their wares. Only the clone only pollen chuckers do! It's flippin ridiculous!

Absolutely! Absurd prices are sometimes requested, for like you say, clone only bottle neck untested gear...
i know what i would invest in...yeah chimera is a don and
totally underrated ! I would love to officially work on something from/with him

unklemike

It's funny you guys mention chimera. I have a pile of his gear and lately been the only gear I've been grabbing. I was actually hoping he would pop in here and drop some knowledge.

Last edited:

Croissant

At the end of the day it comes down to progeny testing at each step of a breeding project for what ones selections pass on to the next, access to quality starting material towards ones goals and luck. There is a couple trends you might notice: using one pollom donar plant bred to a stable of clones which is about having access to the parent plants not master breeding and also abiut progeny testing before releasing. Some real work can be done in selecting those parent plant and developing them in the first place. Typically the real breeding work was done by the person who as a pet project developed the pollon donor line.

Then there is the the taking a clone and out crossing it on either side and sekectinthe best cuts and then crossing them back together. The ones who dona good job at this test at least a few different selections each step of the way. It is this approach to breeding that you will most likely find some real breeding going on these days. They will typically have a few starting plants that the out cross selections are all based off of. There maybe be some steps of bxing involved also.

In my opinion the real breeders are the ones who do proper f2 selections and testing and brining lines to at least f3. This is very rarely done and even a real breeder might not have the access to great starting material as someone else.

A lot of what goes on is not neccesarily master breeding its typically about access to select cuttings and the work of a real breeders work as a pollon donor. Its like if someone puts years of breeding a line even incorporating landrace then some one pops a few packs of their seeds and selects their favorite cut and then does that with someone else's pet project that took years and years then they cross those 2 as an f1 hybrid it might produce amazing results but it isn't master breeding. The real breeding was done by the people that created those parental lines and people that continued those lines doing progeny testing with their selections and/or used multiple males and females each step of the way to prevent bottle necking. Just because someone pops a seed and find the best plant ever doesn't make them a master anything it just means they have control over access i.e. power to what the were lucky enough to find. Then because they have power they can make any kind of bullshit claims they want and their words carry weight. Deep down evennthy know the truth, they got lucky with someone else's breeding work who is the real thing.

Everything else is just marketing pretty much.

Last edited:

Croissant

Also since f2 selections are where the magic happens it may take a breeder years just to get through the f2s to find what they are looking for to pass on much less stabilize but with self-ing as a breeding tool that process might be able to be sped up.