What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How long do you wash?...Using dense buds?...Low yields.

I'm using the classic method...just buckets & bubble bags, mixing/stirring with a large wooden spoon.

I've done only 4 "batches" so far, but my yields have been very low each time...I wish I knew why...?...Considering how low my yields are, I feel like I'm basically just throwing away all my trim.

I haven't actually weighed anything, but if I had to throw out some rough estimations I'm using somewhere around at least 3 to 4 ounces of sugar trim & small buds...The material is pretty resinous, the small buds are pretty damn frosted and chock full of trichomes....but I'm only getting somewhere around maybe 1 gram of decent hash that is partially melty, and then about 1.5 to 2g of mediocre/food grade hash.

I do 2 washes at 10 minutes each, so about 20 minutes total...all I can think is that maybe I need to wash longer?

Also...the small buds that were mixed in with the trim are pretty dense. Does anyone have anything to say about using dense bud when making bubble hash? Considering how dense they are, it just seems like only the trichomes on the outside of the bud will be broken off while all the trichomes inside the bud remain intact? Is it possible to use dense buds for making bubble hash?

Just wondering how long ya'll wash for? And if you have anything to say when it comes to working with dense bud?...I just wish I knew why my yields were so low. From 4 quart jars full of sugar trim & small resinous buds (assuming to be nearly 4 ounces), I'm only getting like a single bowl of smokeable hash. A ball of hash that's smaller than a marble. I've seen people get higher yields from washing just 7g of bud.

I'm also not seeing much of anything in the 90 or 73 bags from any of my plants...Seems like everyone always says the 90 & 73 are where they find the most and the best quality hash, but both of those bags are always pretty much completely empty for me...For me, the 45 and 25 are the only bags I end up with material in. The 45 is somewhat melty and burns into a clean ash, the 25 isn't the best quality for smoking and better for edibles.

I grow outdoors too...so I assumed the trichomes would be a bit larger and get caught in the 90 or 73...But the 45 is the only bag I end up with something worth smoking, all other bags above it are empty.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Hey man I don't have anything helpful to offer with wet hash, but can I recommend trying dry ice hash? The dry ice sublimates directly from a solid into a gas, so the weed never gets wet beyond what being cold condensates out of the air. Dry ice is easy to make if you have your own CO2, otherwise you can get it from most industrial gas or ice companies. I have to drive 30 miles to get less than 20lbs at a time, but when I make it I think it's worth the effort. You don't need much at all, I think I get 10 lbs at once and use 4-5 for the hash and the rest I just dump in hot water to make fog. If it's around Halloween it works great for making stuff spooky. Man sorry for this stoned wall of text that doesn't even really help. Hopefully somebody who does wet hash can help out.

Fitzera

I was having the same issues with end yeild. This last time I was able to get 26g from 8oz.
Using bud, I thow it in the food processor on low and thick cut to break it up to expose more surface area.
I make sure I give the dry plant material lots of time to rehydrate before I agitate anything. I also use a thermometer to make sure the water is very cold.
I used to use a wooden spoon, I've always read that too much agitation (mechanical) will cause lower quality. Well this last time I used my wife's kitchen mixer, and I went to town multiple times. Maybe 3 mins at high speed. Let it sit, repeat a few times, then let it settle for 10 mins. I ran that material three times like that.

So just an up-date for this topic....

Since I made the original post of the thread I did another batch/wash with some of my best trim and small bud material from last summer's plants.

This time I washed for around an hour or more in total, much longer than I have previously. I also let the herb pre-soak in the ice cold water a bit longer than I have previously.

Even after the herb pre-soaked for about 20 minutes, the small buds mixed in with the trim were no where near saturated. They were still completely dry inside, only the outermost part of the bud in contact with water was wet. So I broke the small buds up by hand a bit more.

While stirring/washing by hand I periodically checked the small buds to see how saturated they were and how much trichome heads were being knocked off and/or remaining intact

After an hour of stirring/washing by hand...the insides of at least 1/3rd of the small buds were still barely wet!

In the final wash water, before sieving/filtering through my screens, it appeared quite golden and looked like it was loaded with more hashish than I have had in there before.

After all said and done though I still got a relatively small yield, not much more than I've got before....And like everything I've done before, there was nothing at all in the 90 or 73 bags, everything was in the 45 and 25.

With that said...the stuff in the 45 was the best hashish I've got so out of the 4 or 5 times that I've washed my trim/small buds. I got maybe 3/4 of a gram and it was very oily and melted easily. It wasn't quite full melt but it was getting close.

I don't know what's going on...I'm thinking that maybe very dense buds are not ideal for making hash?..And maybe certain strains or when plants grown in certain conditions it might create trichomes/heads that are very difficult to break off the plant material via ice water/agitation? Just some random speculations.

And it is also possible that I'm just not working with enough material to begin with and that's why I feel like my yields are so low? I haven't actually weighed anything (starting material or yield), just estimating, and I feel like my yields should be like double to triple the amount I'm getting....but perhaps my yields aren't far off from the usual and I just don't know because I haven't weighed anything lol.

If I get some buds after this summer that aren't super dense I'll possibly try doing a small wash through the bags with mostly buds instead of trim/larf and see what happens.

That little bit I got from the 45 on that last wash was some good hash though!...Nice & melty under the flame, good aroma.

I was having the same issues with end yeild. This last time I was able to get 26g from 8oz.
Using bud, I thow it in the food processor on low and thick cut to break it up to expose more surface area.
I make sure I give the dry plant material lots of time to rehydrate before I agitate anything. I also use a thermometer to make sure the water is very cold.
I used to use a wooden spoon, I've always read that too much agitation (mechanical) will cause lower quality. Well this last time I used my wife's kitchen mixer, and I went to town multiple times. Maybe 3 mins at high speed. Let it sit, repeat a few times, then let it settle for 10 mins. I ran that material three times like that.

What sort of quality hash do you end up with from that method though?

I try to be super gentle with the trichomes. I'd expect a food processor might cause some damage and rupture the heads.

I break everything up by hand and even when I do that I'm gentle with it. Even from the moment I harvest the plants I'm gentle & mindful of any contact & pressure on the buds lol.

But if there's a way to break up the buds well with out causing much damage to the trichomes I'm certainly interested lol.

mack 10

Veteran
Let them soak longer.
Your material must be fully rehydrated.
Is your material cold?
Is your water cold enough?
Try a hand wisk instead of wooden spoon.

Some strains just don't make Good waterhash,
Some outdoor strains will have smaller resinheads,
Its all strain and environment.

Multiple washes, will improve your yields.

Have you checked the screens with a scope?
Which bags are you using?

Keep at it, you'll get there.