What's new

How Israel Created a Water Surplus that Changed the Nation

Montuno

...como el Son...
Exemplar...

Israel's occupation of the water:​

For Amnesty International, December 12, 2017

The legacy of 50 years of Israeli occupation of the Palestinian territories has been systematic human rights violations on a large scale. One of the most devastating consequences is the impact of Israel's discriminatory policies on the Palestinian population's access to adequate supplies of clean and safe water.​

Israel uses water as a political weapon​

Although the Middle East is famous for its oil, the strategic element in the region is water, since, despite being home to 5% of the world's population, the region only has access to 1% of the planet's water resources.​

Israel uses its water resources to pressure Jordan not to oppose its plan to annex about 30% of the occupied West Bank. Despite an agreement signed in 1994 by which both countries agreed on the terms of sharing the water resources of the Jordan and Yarmuk rivers, Israel's Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, refuses to give Jordan the amount of water that he corresponds.

goingrey

Exemplar...

Israel's occupation of the water:​

For Amnesty International, December 12, 2017

The legacy of 50 years of Israeli occupation of the Palestinian territories has been systematic human rights violations on a large scale. One of the most devastating consequences is the impact of Israel's discriminatory policies on the Palestinian population's access to adequate supplies of clean and safe water.​

Israel uses water as a political weapon​

Although the Middle East is famous for its oil, the strategic element in the region is water, since, despite being home to 5% of the world's population, the region only has access to 1% of the planet's water resources.​

Israel uses its water resources to pressure Jordan not to oppose its plan to annex about 30% of the occupied West Bank. Despite an agreement signed in 1994 by which both countries agreed on the terms of sharing the water resources of the Jordan and Yarmuk rivers, Israel's Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, refuses to give Jordan the amount of water that he corresponds.

The politician in the video said they are giving more water to Palestine than what was agreed in some recent treaty. Amnesty's complaints about the subject from 2017 might not be valid anymore.

And yes, exemplary, because if they hadn't done all this, it would be the Red Cross raising concerns about there being no water rather than Amnesty saying they aren't sharing enough to their neighbors.

Of course, being reliant on another nation, especially one you have a difficult relationship with, for a vital resource is terrible. Germany is finding this out right now in regards to gas. So yep, other countries should follow Israel's example and make sensible water supply investments, no?

armedoldhippy

Veteran
The politician in the video said they are giving more water to Palestine than what was agreed in some recent treaty.
Of course, being reliant on another nation, especially one you have a difficult relationship with, for a vital resource is terrible.
making a habit of launching mortars, rockets, suicide attacks, and parading around screaming "DEATH TO ISRAEL!" isn't convincing those terrible Jews to give them more water? odd, i figured that would do the trick... huh. "how to win friends and influence people" version 101. :whistling:

Montuno

...como el Son...
The politician in the video said they are giving more water to Palestine than what was agreed in some recent treaty. Amnesty's complaints about the subject from 2017 might not be valid anymore.

And yes, exemplary, because if they hadn't done all this, it would be the Red Cross raising concerns about there being no water rather than Amnesty saying they aren't sharing enough to their neighbors.

Of course, being reliant on another nation, especially one you have a difficult relationship with, for a vital resource is terrible. Germany is finding this out right now in regards to gas. So yep, other countries should follow Israel's example and make sensible water supply investments, no?

The example is really absurd: I don't believe that Germany shares the same "gas basin" with Russia, nor Russia steals the German gas share...
The second article is only a year old:

"
Israel uses its water resources to pressure Jordan not to oppose its plan to annex about 30% of the occupied West Bank. Despite an agreement signed in 1994 by which both countries agreed on the terms of sharing the water resources of the Jordan and Yarmuk rivers, Israel's Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, refuses to give Jordan the amount of water that he corresponds. Faced with the continuous growth of the world population, the planet's water resources are diminishing on the one hand and polluting on the other, becoming a matter of strategic importance.

Although the Middle East is famous for its oil, the strategic element in the region is water. Despite being home to 5% of the world's population, the Middle East only has access to 1% of the planet's water resources. This increases the potential for a confrontation between neighboring countries if one takes into account the existing disputes between some of these countries for these resources: Turkey-Syria-Iraq, Syria-Israel-Jordan-Palestine and Egypt-Sudan. In this sense, Israel maintains a strategic superiority due to the control it exercises over most of these resources in the region. We must not forget that in the Middle East, water policies are not shaped based on needs, but according to the balance of "asymmetric power".

The distribution of hydrographic basins in the region is so unbalanced that in 30 years the amount of water available will only be enough to satisfy the need for drinking water. Israel, Palestine and Jordan are the three countries in the region with the most water problems: the supply of water in Israel is 382 cubic meters per year per individual, 314 in Jordan and barely 100 in the Gaza Strip. If you take into account that any supply below 1,000 cubic meters is considered a shortage, according to the Stockholm Environment Institute, one can already imagine the situation in the region. 10 more countries in the Middle East suffer from the same problem. These countries have doubled their population in the last 25 years.

See also: Antisemitism and terrorism, ambiguous concepts that hide Israel's multifaceted violence

The Jordan River basin is at the center of water problems in the Middle East. This basin, of about 18,000 square kilometers of extension, is shared by Jordan, at 54%; Syria, at 30%; Israel, at 14%, and Lebanon, at 2%. This corresponds to 27% of the river's water for Jordan, 32% for Israel, 31% for Syria and 10% for Lebanon.

Israel's economic and military power allows it to impose its water policies and impede those of its neighbors. In this sense, Jordan is the country with the most problems in the region. Much of the country is made up of desert land, with little farmland. The problems are such that some localities in the country only receive water one day a week. On the other hand, Jordan is forced to share its scarce water resources with much stronger economically and militarily neighbors.

Israel's occupation of the Golan Heights is not only important from a security point of view, but also from a water resources perspective. Thanks to its occupation of the Heights, Israel controls the Sea of Galilee, also called Lake Tiberias, as well as the Yarmouk and Banias rivers. Syria demands to delimit its borders with Israel on the Sea of Galilee and in this way get it to be recognized as international waters, but Israel refuses.

In the West Bank, Israel prohibits Palestinians from drilling wells other than those essential for drinking water, while in the territories occupied by Jewish settlers, the Israeli administration dedicates itself to drilling wells that rapidly consume underground water sources.

On numerous occasions, Israel has offered to buy water from the Litani River from Lebanon. This has rejected the proposal in part because of the general rejection of the other Arab countries and so that it does not count as a victory for the Israeli administration. Despite internal wars and economic problems, Lebanon is the country in the region with the fewest water problems. In the north it shares the Orontes, or Asi, river with Syria.

By now it is clear that Israel is not going to give up the occupied Palestinian territories and their underground resources. The proof of this is that Israel continues to build new settlements and expand old ones. Another reason is the fact that controlling water resources presupposes economic development, as well as the existence and continuity of the State of Israel. In this sense, Israel controlled the area's water resources and uses them to exert political and psychological pressure on its opponents.

A fair and humane distribution among the interested countries of water resources would prevent a new war in the region in the future. Otherwise, such a war would only generate endless new conflicts. Access to water is a human right. This is why any policy on water resources should be based on ethical principles and be corroborated by international agreements."

Montuno

...como el Son...
making a habit of launching mortars, rockets, suicide attacks, and parading around screaming "DEATH TO ISRAEL!" isn't convincing those terrible Jews to give them more water? odd, i figured that would do the trick... huh. "how to win friends and influence people" version 101. :whistling:
It usually happens when you invade and steal territories and resources that are not yours.
And Jews in general are one thing, and the State of Israel and its governments are another.
Just as it is not the same to ask someone to give you a gift from his share as it is to ask him to stop stealing from yours.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Surely bad behavior on both sides and beyond but probably not by the water engineers.
nobody with two interconnected brain cells says/thinks that Israel is innocent in their actions. their national psyche, in my opinion, has been hardened by the reality of their treatment by the worlds govts over time. I'm not aware of any other people targeted for extinction in recent history on that scale. they have given up on vast majority of world to step up to the plate to protect them from aggression like is done for others, so are now carving out a stronghold of their own, and fuck everyone that does not like how they are going about that end. i don't like nor agree with all of their actions, but i sure understand their motives for behaving as they do. they are building a Masada writ large...

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I have thought much about this - and come to the conclusion that the world still is very tribal - and some tribes tend to dominate - then try to dominate each other - to reach the top tribe status - and on a global level - in the modern world - that would mean being largely in control of finance - commerce - politics - and media - - Hmmm - how would this all be possible? - intelligence of course - for intelligence+education+finance = power - and so it seems that a certain ethnicity has been breeding for intelligence for perhaps hundreds if not thousands of years - by matching their brightest sons - with their neighbours/brothers (1st cousins allowed) - brightest daughters via arranged marriages - then setting up some of the best educational and financial institutions for the smart kids to benefit from - who then go on to be renowned scolars/professors and top professionals in top corporations - bankers and financiers etc -

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
- over the centuries - that leads to alot of power-resorces and finances in the hands of what is considered a small ethnic group - in many nations - and that has been the problem generally - historically - over time - the most intelligent/smartest group/ethnicity/tribe - will be able to survive and thrive - no matter what atrocities befall them - it's all in the tenacity of human nature - and the will to survive - and conquer - if needs be -

Nannymouse

...and yet, if a ruling group denies a minority group the ability to purchase land for growing food, the majority may find that they have forced the minority into becoming 'more intelligent' in order to survive.

RobFromTX

I got to visit Israel for 2 days when i was in the service and was shocked at the culture difference between Israeli and American jewish folks. I mean you couldn't compare a more different group of people. The american crowd are socially liberal, very drug friendly. Id be lying if i didn't say a few ive met are exceedingly wealthy. Nothing wrong with that at all. But Israelis in general are a totally different matter. Not very drug friendly, very pro-state and extremely poor. Just as much poverty as I saw in Afghanistan. Everyone I met was very kind though. Idk places change and that was 15 years ago. I just wanted to share my interesting experience. Two completely different cultures and people. Those two crowds

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Not very drug friendly, very pro-state and extremely poor. Just as much poverty as I saw in Afghanistan. Everyone I met was very kind though. Idk places change and that was 15 years ago. I just wanted to share my interesting experience. Two completely different cultures and people. Those two crowds
Israel; now leading the world RE medical cannabis research. i know nothing about their attitudes on drugs in general, but they are leaps and bounds ahead of us as far as acceptance by their govt about medical use & allowing researchers to do their work with no preconceived notions about what "should" be discovered and what should NOT be investigated... the US sucks in that, and many other ways.

RobFromTX

Israel; now leading the world RE medical cannabis research. i know nothing about their attitudes on drugs in general, but they are leaps and bounds ahead of us as far as acceptance by their govt about medical use & allowing researchers to do their work with no preconceived notions about what "should" be discovered and what should NOT be investigated... the US sucks in that, and many other ways.
And they have one hell of an intelligence community. I wouldnt want to get on their bad side.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Yes - intelligence - when harnessed thru superior education - and channelled into a multitude of governments and industries globally - willingly financed by the already established and powerful banking fraternity of the same ethnicity/group - obviously leads to all sorts of scientific and technological advances - and the advanced security services to protect them - using not just weapons of war to control the opposition - but much more subversive methods - social and educational engineering - via control of the media and educational systems - to produce humans that are useful to their cause - whatever that is - (some say that you will find that in the articles of the Elders of Zion - who knows?) - it all leads to the further advancement of their ideology/religion and for 100 years or so now - the advancement of their nation -

- some say over history they have been expelled and chased out of many nations - due to their expertise and excellence in many businesses (finance 'Usury' particularly) - often taking over ownership of established local businesses and making them thrive - to the point of doing the same to nations - ya - whole nations dependent on finances - created and loaned by this group - creates massive power - in the hands of those that make/create and distribute the money - then benefit from the interest returned upon it - nations are indebted - for centuries - and we are all supposed to work to pay these debts off -

- Overall - I am in awe of what these people have been able to achieve throughout history as a tribe - whether it might be construed as good or bad - from whatever side you look at it - it is quite substantial and impressive and intelligent -

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Gypsy points out - " whether it be construed as good or bad" a very subjective rating at work there. success (despite bias) produces fear/jealousy in nearly equal amounts along with enough racial animosity to keep shit stirred and make conspiracies seem plausible. "they must be cheating somehow. we CAN'T suck that bad..."