What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

how hard is breeding?

Sneakabongtoke

i have some LR#2 (10 seed pack)
If i wanted a certain trait(pine smell from a haze) from regular strain. how hard would it be to make it stable and 100%auto? and why is nearly all the auto cross with indicas. i have yet to see a sativa auto strain.

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
I guess the idea with an auto is to keep it short and have it flower in the shortest time...for those reason I guess Indicas are most suitable...

that doesnt mean you couldnt try it though.. :smile:

*mr.mike*

There are a few sativa dom strains out there.

First, you'd have to be able to get a piney offspring. You might have to pollinate a few plants to find one (or a few) that suits you.

Then, after a solid year, you might have a steadily autoflowering strain, and will be able to select for another year to have it solid.

If everything worked right.

Think of it as an "ongoing hobby" to fill your own personal needs... Then it will be worth it.

Smoke it

Growing out a sativa takes longer time, and longer time to breed. Breeding autos take 5-6 generations or more.
Anyway there's lot of sativa in the autos today.. LR2, diesel, ak they have some sativa percentages in them, and sativa dominant phenos is found. Short term amnesia from dutchbreed is auto sativa.

I have been breeding a little myself, currently making F2 Thai/Haze x LR2 and F2 Thai/Haze x AK.

*mr.mike*

At the fourth generation I always have 100% AF.

They never take more than ten weeks, it's all in the genes... The plants seriously change after that point.

By keeping everything under selection on the way to 100% autoflower, the fifth generation is almost completely stable, if you do the work on the deviation by height.

I'm sure strains like haze have the potential to become tricky, though.

Dutchbreed.com has Short term amnesia (somas amnesia haze auto)
edit, didnt noticed you were saying it smoke it..

Somas amnesia haze auto is fully autoflowering? in under 10 weeks? good veg period? That could be really cool. Any more info on that?

Peace/Love/Joy