What's new

How far do you drive for your guerilla op?

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
Mine are about 10-30 miles away, typically a 15-30 minute drive and then a 5-20 minute walk, depending on if I am bringing the water or simply collecting it near the site or on the walk in.

Next year nearly all my plots will be at least a 30 minute hike in from the nearest road, and 3-5 weeks between visits, so long as my various irrigation experiments this summer will supply irrigation systems that will allow it.

Getting deep in the cuts reduces the chances of humans finding it.

L

L-Thirt33n

My spot is so far out there I have to be dropped in by helicopter!

:crazy:

Ajunta Pall

This year I'm maintaining multiple plots. Some as little as 10 mins. away all up to an hour away. As far as I'm concerned the less time on the road the better.

hamstring

Veteran
Its a straight line curve for me the harder to get to the better chance of success.

Depends on where you live I guess. Good spots are hard to find in my neck of the woods. I will drive 30-40min. Then up to 30min on a bike or walking another 2 hrs in a canoe. Hell, I'd do more if the spot was right.
PEACE

shroomyshroom

Doing what we do because we are who we are
Veteran
Its a straight line curve for me the harder to get to the better chance of success.

Depends on where you live I guess. Good spots are hard to find in my neck of the woods. I will drive 30-40min. Then up to 30min on a bike or walking another 2 hrs in a canoe. Hell, I'd do more if the spot was right.
PEACE

keep in mind you got to being all your finish product back... so going from a walk to bike to a canoe is gonna make you hella tierd... plus having your goods on your so long on the way home is not such a good idea...

i could literaly drive to my spot in 15mins if there was a dam track that lead to it... but i walk cause i know how much of **** to everyone else it would be to get to it and dont wanna give em the golden ticket aka the drivable path to it.. but come harvest ill drv my car as close to it as i can and dump eveything it in and ill be home in 15 giving everything the chop :D

I just walk out the door to the surrounding woodlots. Some I own and some owned by neighbours, but this is Canada and they have to catch you tending or harvesting to charge you as anyone could have planted it there. My biggest threat is highschool kids who take to the woods on ATVs every fall. The little shits have better noses for MJ than police dogs but fortunately they are too lazy to really walk far from there 4-wheelers.

Gunnarguchi

ICMag Donor
Veteran
i live in an area with lots of corn fields so i dont have that long drive to my spots
5-20 minutes
they are all in a 20 km radius but theres still a lot of driving around when you have different strains in different fields
this year im planning 1200 plants in 8 different fields so a lot of driving
at least one of the fields will be with multiple strain where im only using one of them as fathers and removing males from the other strains

the art is finding fields with long distance to others if your running a seed grow also and want the strain to remain pure

hamstring

Veteran
keep in mind you got to being all your finish product back... so going from a walk to bike to a canoe is gonna make you hella tierd... plus having your goods on your so long on the way home is not such a good idea...

i could literaly drive to my spot in 15mins if there was a dam track that lead to it... but i walk cause i know how much of **** to everyone else it would be to get to it and dont wanna give em the golden ticket aka the drivable path to it.. but come harvest ill drv my car as close to it as i can and dump eveything it in and ill be home in 15 giving everything the chop :D

Although I believe you have a very valid point that you should have an easy way to transport the product. Canoes and bike rides as well as hikes for me at least have absolutely nothing to do with how close the plots are to road access it has everything to do with the proper enter/exit strategy. In my area the plot is not worth having if you cant find a good way in or out even if you have to drive 10 miles away to access it with a canoe its still the right way to get in. I drive by areas that I would give my eyeteeth to use but with out an enter/exit strategy they are eye candy only.

PEACE

Rob547

East Coast Grower
Veteran
Mine's pretty close, 1-3 spots this year probably like a 10 min drive and a short walk. Can also just walk there if I had to/wanted to maybe 15 min (different entrances).

My question to all you guys driving far out: How do you know (and find) the area, generally speaking - people, animals, trails? know the area is secure? etc.. I wouldn't mind driving a bit aways but its hard to come upon spots that are secure enough to start a plot in IMO at least

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
in the last few years......
as close as 5 minutes, as far as 90 minutes (drive). Usually hike a minimum 10 minutes. max hike is usually 30-45 minutes.
I figure the further out I have to hike, the further rippers have to hike to find it.

THC123

Veteran
I put my guerilla plants in a nature reserve about 15 mins from my home.

I park the car and then i go on foot , about a 10-15 min hike.

But most of the time i go with my mountainbike.

To get to the spot u need to cross a big puddle of water with high grass and stuff so people on foot arent't likely to go there + in summer it is full of nasty bugs.

barletta

Bandaid
Veteran
I plant on timeshare/resort/vacation/golfcourse property. The people likely to be anywhere near your crops have NO idea they are there, nor do they care. They do not look out the windows at night, nor do they sit outside listening for a shovel clinking 1/2 mile away in the woods. Even if I were spotted walking around or coming or going, no one cares. If I were heard in the bushes @ 4am, city folk would think I'm a bear, and go inside. PLUS they have no idea how it's supposed ta sound in the woods at night.

Plant near self absorbed people...

hamstring

Veteran
My question to all you guys driving far out: How do you know (and find) the area, generally speaking - people, animals, trails? know the area is secure? etc.. I wouldn't mind driving a bit aways but its hard to come upon spots that are secure enough to start a plot in IMO at least

Great question.

For me anyways I use a single state atlas of sorts. I have been using this for years and have visited many spots close by so now with experience I can look at it and decide whether its worth a drive out to get a better look. I tend to look around small waterways and I look for a patch of stream, creak, small river that has a good deal of area between road crossing points. That way I am assured that I can get deep into some land without homes and general human access near by.

Look at any single state atlas and you will see how some creeks or rivers stay along roadways or cross roads many times. To me these are bad choices because they have easy access and river front property for home building. I look for waterways that have one or 2 access points between several miles of waterway. I am assured at least that this is owned by one or two landowners and that access is limited because of this.

I can take a kayak or canoe down this waterway and see what it has to offer. Many many times I come up short because the landowner has 4 wheel trails or farms right up to the waterway etc soooooo many things can make a spot bad. Some times when the sun and moon align I find a spot that has what I am looking for the most seclusion.
PEACE

i really need a canoe. but for now, i drive 20-30 min. to the woods and walk an hour for one spot, and drive 13 min. and walk for 25 more at the other (some times i mountain bike most of the way, then ditch the bike close to the path and walk through the dense woods for the remainder). its tedious and those time periods scare the living hell out of me when harvest comes around, but its the only way being that i rent an apartment that has no woods too close to it. i eventually would like to live far enough out that i could just walk for an hour through some woods in my back yard, but im still young and have a while before i will own a home. it worked last year, but there is lots of people that walk through these woods just to look for plants to steal and it really scares me.

Fast_Pine

over 6 hours driving time racked up in 1 week, is gon be tha norm this summer. Some time spent driving very early in the morning(2,3am,,etc)...

Thecoon

I usually drive around 30min. to 2hrs...Couldnt really think of driving a fresh harvest across state lines, thats pretty wild. Im lucky I live in a small town.:woohoo:

N

North

I drove 325 miles yesterday rounding up and staging supplies.

Usually I drive an hour and walk 20 minutes, but I have some spots right in town, so a 10 min drive and 10 minutes walking through thorns and climbing steep valleys to reach these spots.

funny how this varies so much for folks, tells alot about the areas we live in.
draw a 35 mile circle around my house, and you'll find 400,000 people living in it, thus the drive. wish I lived in the country.

B

Brad

i have to drive 4.5 hours up north to get to a point where it is very isolated and there are not many humans around...also i camp in the bush for a few days to get all the work done, then go home, and come back a week later...if i dont do this and grow 20 min. from my house i will get ripped off everytime, havent lost a plant in years :)