What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How early to smoke males?

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I did not find smoking individual males very helpful so much as labeling several and smoking them all hoping to find similar terpenes to the females I intend to pollinate. Most of them taste very leafy. But if you smoke a few and the genetics have potential. Usually sooner or later a clearly more tasty or potent male shows itself.

As far as how long to flower. I am usually being very careful not to pollinate everything else in the house and flower males very small.. I let them.go as long as I can to try and differentiate the winners. Sometimes that is longer than others. And for me that is often more based on available space and logistics than actual maturity.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Males plants develop there flower fast open and shed their pollen that is it.

As the plant starts to flower pick the leaf tips from the plant not the fan leaf.

Your not going to get any type of indication on what the male carry's in the way of terp profile unless you reverse it.

You will smoke shity tasting leaf and what your looking for is potency and the type of affect it the male has.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Your not going to get any type of indication on what the male carry's in the way of terp profile unless you reverse it.

This is 100% not true. Maybe reversing improves it. But I have flowered and smoked enough makes to know for a fact I can identify certain flavors and highs. Most are weak leafy crap. Those are not the ones I am looking for. I like to smoke enough of them to find one that reminds me of the correlating females. And when you do locate that particular plant. It is obvious.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
This is 100% not true. Maybe reversing improves it. But I have flowered and smoked enough makes to know for a fact I can identify certain flavors and highs. Most are weak leafy crap. Those are not the ones I am looking for. I like to smoke enough of them to find one that reminds me of the correlating females. And when you do locate that particular plant. It is obvious.

You mite get an indication of smells by rubbing the steam but leaf will all taste green horrible tasting.

All you are testing for is the type of high and the potency the male has by smoking the leaf.

I was posting this up 2 decades ago and being made fun of for even smoking male leaf to test them i have been doing this since 80s.

Not all females are equal in a hybrid same goes for males if you can match the type of affect in a male to that of the female you like odds are in your favor.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I have found potent males with both gassy and berry flavors, both of which passed it on to the offspring.

Yes they taste leafy.. Some of them taste leafy with a hint of good bud and get me really high.

When I use stem rub my nose seems to lead me in a direction my taste buds do not agee with as well. And when all said and done I am looking for great taste not smell (yummy herb usually smells great, stinky herb is not always yummy).

F2F

Though I don’t own or use a vape, friends that do and others here seem to say flavors and subtleties in terms are more apparent versus a regular bowl or J. Maybe vapes could serve a good purpose here for testing males. ???

Best,
F2F

Cakeboy

Feeding the Roos
ICMag Donor
If my tolerance is low then smoking the tips of a male is a viable option for me to see if the male has any potency. Of course it’s not that often that my tolerance is low enough for me to get too ripped off it, but I feel better about chucking pollen from a male that is more potent in this way than its brothers or whatever other males you are trying to gauge potency.
I wait till it’s a confirmed boy then try the tips.
I had not considered other attributes like Terps so that’s interesting to me. Cheers

F2F

You mite get an indication of smells by rubbing the steam but leaf will all taste green horrible tasting.

All you are testing for is the type of high and the potency the male has by smoking the leaf.

I was posting this up 2 decades ago and being made fun of for even smoking male leaf to test them i have been doing this since 80s.

Not all females are equal in a hybrid same goes for males if you can match the type of affect in a male to that of the female you like odds are in your favor.

@hempy - you’ve been at this hobby for a while, at what stage do you smoke male material?

Thanks in advance!
F2F

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
@hempy - you’ve been at this hobby for a while, at what stage do you smoke male material?

Thanks in advance!
F2F

I would let the plants sex then take leaf tips and put them in numbered lots if you are testing more than one male.Let the leaf dry and then each morning before you smoke any flower sample one lot.

Make notes on the type of affect each gives how strong it is and by doing so you can then make a selection on the male you want to use.

That is all your going to find out by smoking male leaf now odds are if you find a strong male with an effect to that of the female you like then your on the right track.

Male leaf wont be as strong as the flower as your only smoking leaf but it will give you the info your after.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I don't think you will even get a single bud hair by reversing a male. I tried.

Introducing ethylene will not have the opposite effect.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
I know you can reverse a male and produce enough of a female flower to see resin content and get the smell the male will carry but i wouldn't be smoking it.I have not done it my self but know some one that did.

hellfire

STS is not for reversing males. It is a different chemical.

Reversing male plants to judge female/smoking qualities. Fertile female flowers can be induced in male plants by ethephon (2-chloroethanephosphonic acid) and NIA 10637 (ethylhydrogen-l-propylphosphonate). ... Stopping the application of growth regulators caused the plants to revert to their original sex
Overgrow.com

Last edited:

Thesearch

And when all said and done I am looking for great taste not smell (yummy herb usually smells great, stinky herb is not always yummy).

It's so true... Every time I smell a blue god bud I think I'm gonna smoke Blue raspberry, but instead it tastes like someone poured dirt on some cereal milk ?
One day I will smoke Blue raspberry bud

'Boogieman'

Is it not possible to make some hash from a male? Sure some pollen will probably get in but it should still be better than trying to smoke leaves I would think.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Is it not possible to make some hash from a male? Sure some pollen will probably get in but it should still be better than trying to smoke leaves I would think.

No.
Hash IS the Trichomes from the bud. No Bud, No Hash. :moon:

Smoking leaves won't do anything for you. At all.
:tiphat:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I make hash from my sugar leaves all the time. I don't see why it's not possible to do with a male.
Sugar leaves come from a female bud. Look at a fan leaf closely. You won't find any trichomes. Same thing with a male leaf.

Trichomes are only found on a female. Or more specifically, the flower of a female.

Thesearch

Sugar leaves come from a female bud. Look at a fan leaf closely. You won't find any trichomes. Same thing with a male leaf.

Trichomes are only found on a female. Or more specifically, the flower of a female.

I have seen quite a few male flowers with trichomes, looks mostly like cytolith hairs but may be glandular too. I have heard it is more common in males left to flower for a full term like a female.

GoatCheese

Veteran

There are globular resin glands on sun leaves also, on both males and females.

Here's a frosty male for you. Males aren't used for hash making but there sure is nice resin on the frosty ones.
Taskenti f3

picture.php