What's new

how does light affect roots?

phatnuggetz

how does light affect roots in a hydro system? I have my plants in 6" net baskets and the roots are out in the open in a ebb and flow setup and they seem perfectly fine, I was going to fill the table with hydroton but do I need to? will the foliage cover them enough? they are not drying out from the light so how else does it affect them? thanks!

T

the_shadow

While I don't have the specific scientific root cause of light ruining roots, I'll tell you from personal experience: cover them up!

I once had a light leak into the roots of a small DWC. Plants didn't perform very well, eventually got root rot and it wasn't a pleasurable growing experience.

Same strain, same DWC, light-proofed. Plant performed much better, zero root problems and was a pleasurable growing experience.

I know a lot of other things contribute to root problems (heat, oxygenation, etc); but I'm sure light doesn't help things. Just my 2c

phatnuggetz

haha green force great comment! I am from san francisco but dont wanna get fucked in da ass haha.im going to just cover them with hydroton. They are about 3 weeks old and are huge and not stressed at all that why I wondered how important is it.

CaptainTrips

the_shadow said:
While I don't have the specific scientific root cause of light ruining roots, I'll tell you from personal experience: cover them up!

I once had a light leak into the roots of a small DWC. Plants didn't perform very well, eventually got root rot and it wasn't a pleasurable growing experience.

Same strain, same DWC, light-proofed. Plant performed much better, zero root problems and was a pleasurable growing experience.

I know a lot of other things contribute to root problems (heat, oxygenation, etc); but I'm sure light doesn't help things. Just my 2c

DWC is a lot diff than e&f, especially if those roots getting light were sitting in water. I wouldn't think on a flood table, especially if it drains all the way... That a few esposed roots would cause a problem. The canopy will probably be blocking most the light anyway.