What's new

How do you speed up the ripening at late flowering

C

Classy@Home

Can't recall which book I read it in (?title... not a canna book), but Ethylene gas was mentioned as a trigger for ripening in particular... something like the plant produces it's own late in flowering which is it's natural trigger for finishing. This is just what I read. And related to it, banana peels give off Ethylene gas as they ripen. Take this as a rumor as I can't source cite it bro... nor have I played with it... pretty sure it was a plant book of some sort...???
Ripening fruit, bananas, excellent source of ethelyne...

Natural ripening hormone.

Good call...

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Methanol

The only way I know of is by forcing more Carbon into the plant. And I'm NOT talking about CO2. I'm talking about Carbon. Carbon is the building blocks for sugars and everything else in a growing plant.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBUQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pnas.org%2Fcontent%2F89%2F20%2F9794.full.pdf&rct=j&q=foliar%20spray%20ethanol%20for%20carbon%20on%20cabbage%20LA%20times&ei=JkI0TvGhMunRiAKQvYHECA&usg=AFQjCNHXNiygONrpAz7upSybrH6cjockSA&cad=rja

Hit the link and DL the pdf.
I've done this on a 5 acre plot spraying a 50/50 mix of Methanol and water some 20 years ago. I worked my way up to that ratio. I would start at a lower rate... maybe 10/90 or 20/80. Needs to be done in full sun or full light. Without intense radiation allowing the plant to use the extra carbon via the foliar application, it will burn the leaves. At least 6 to 8 hours of full intense light after a spray is mandatory. Full intense light... no problems. I wouldn't even spray if there were clouds in the sky back 20 years ago when I did this. Full Light.

I stopped doing this because it was not cost effective on grapes. For this crop, and a few pots in the back room, the cost would be minimal.

This works! Earlier harvest with heavier fruit and more sugar. Should do the same here.

This post is very interesting,thank you grapeman.I already heard about methanol, but now I just know how it works on plants.

For what I've read on the link you posted, plants need a lot of light after foliar application, to get rid of toxic derivates from methanol using photosynthesis and photo respiration mechanism,while let enter the extra C atom and speed up its metabolism.

It seems that most of C3 plants responds differently at different % of methanol, and if too high concentration, they will suffer.Wich % for cannabis?

I wold try a 5% solution of methanol but how the shaded part of the plants will react? I work with just 2x400w and some cfl's and the canopy is not all under the direct sunlight.
Should I test this on a side branch observing reaction first?

I just don't want to fuck with glycerine and other molecules I don't know how they work, and as first time and because methanol is way toxic I just don't want to ruin my crop :D

Where I can find methanol btw?

Thank you again for your input, I will investigate into further.

:wave:

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Can't recall which book I read it in (?title... not a canna book), but Ethylene gas was mentioned as a trigger for ripening in particular... something like the plant produces it's own late in flowering which is it's natural trigger for finishing. This is just what I read. And related to it, banana peels give off Ethylene gas as they ripen. Take this as a rumor as I can't source cite it bro... nor have I played with it... pretty sure it was a plant book of some sort...???

Made me curious again... dug through the boxes & found...

"Secrets of High Yield Plant Growth"
Reinders, Graham. 2001

States that Ethylene hormone is used by the plant for a ripening signal, and likely a gas allows a plant to ripen uniformly.

Most interesting reference is...

"These [Bloom Enhancers] often contain napthaleneacetic acid, which mimics the ethylene hormone and makes the plant think the end of the season has arrived early, so the plant has to rush to get it's blooms out. Fruit-setting sprays also mimic the end-of-season hormone signals. Some are just plain phosphorous nutrient, because at bloom and fruit time the plant ships extra phosphorous to the blooms."

Ripening fruit, bananas, excellent source of ethelyne...

Natural ripening hormone.

Good call...

Heard about ethylene too,but I thinks gas application should be done with air in\outlets closed, so the atmosphere can be saturated by the gas going to stimulate plant's ripening.
I just can't close air in\out because temperature, I had to remove co2 tank because I needed to low the temp with extraction.

And I don't think ripening fruit can be used in a growroom as emission of ethylene is not controllable, and how do you know when the atmosphere is saturated at the right point? should a monitor is needed? probably I think....

Let me understand your way to do this....if you do this :D

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ive heard all sorts of things like replacing the bulbs with MH last 2 weeks....colder temps is another thing that also works for getting purple hues...i flush a few times, then let her dry out nice to "starve" and stress...then flush again before picking...not sure if that even does anything but i get nice frost....i like my weed covered in crystals..

I think purple color is due much to a temperature difference between max and min (night and day) I had purple buds where the buds were exposed to direct light and becomes hot, but not so hot to start photorespiration, and nights were pretty hot.
However, generally cold temps encourage sap to turn purple for sure.

About MH I didn't heard anything....and make me think it's a little non sense, because red color should be better in flowering than blu spectre, no?

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mainly for spectrum but also because they were $5 and it was winter.

I did a short experiment this past winter using every cheap light source they told me was crap. Almost an embarrassment to point it out to people but we all learn from experience. I learned alot with this one. Especially about garden pests and too many people living under one roof. https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=28094

Halogens are a "black body radiator" style light. Emitting all spectrums much like our sun. I can barely wait to try again this winter. I'm thinking on a 500W-700W spaceheater setup for the living room this time.

In all truth I saved money heating my home with them last year. The monthly combination of Electricity & Natrual Gas coming in around $50 per month less than the previous year's expenses.

The best part was listening to the wife bitch about it being too hot in the bedroom during below zero temps outdoors.
:laughing:

I think I may have read SamSkunkman's article also. I'm a 2cnd grader on this growing thing but I do like to read. I have read in a few places now that the trichome function involves UV light. I'm not remembering specifics at the moment but it's either a receptor or a blocker or something like that. They somehow measured the light passing thru the trich and it seems to only catch the uv's. That was many bowls ago but I believe that is how it goes.

I will maybe implement some UV (A-B) tubes in my next grow, but I think halogens are simply a waste of money if you don't need heat and light....I mean...if you have to heat your little grow, some halogens during the daytime should work good, providing some heat and some light too, but otherwise they're crap IMHO.

Scrogerman

Veteran
think this is the ripen what scroggerman is on about good stuff bro :)

(edit)
That is the stuff, forcing solutions work well ime. i was refering to botanicares ripe, but it seems they've changed it? its no longer a forcer. so ill be sticking with the GHR. Good for finishing seed plants/ different phenos at the same time, where otherwise may have been several weeks or more between them.
Cheers & G'luck!

Last edited:

MIway

Veteran
No - not a good call. You think you just discovered ethelyne?

idiots.

Yup... totally. I take full claim to this little gem... it was I that discovered this for all the world to behold... ethylene gas.

Never did it exist prior to these posts... and no one will ever be able to finish a crop again w/o using my specially developed composted banana peel delivery system.

Prick.

spearzy

i find that plant health has a lot to do with how quickly the buds will ripen

the healthier the plants the quicker they seem to finish

the realy healthy deep green plants seem to finish the quickest for me

were as any plants i may have had slight problems with take longer

spearzy

Marshall

I really think the OP needs to speed up the whole flowering process. From what I read he needs to tear down by a certain date. I think shorter days would do that but would affect yield. 10/12 or 9/12 light periods would speed up the whole process.

If you use Co2, lower it the last couple weeks. As noted ethylene is used to help ripen, but supposedly CO2 prevents ethylene production

grapeman

Veteran
This post is very interesting,thank you grapeman.I already heard about methanol, but now I just know how it works on plants.

For what I've read on the link you posted, plants need a lot of light after foliar application, to get rid of toxic derivates from methanol using photosynthesis and photo respiration mechanism,while let enter the extra C atom and speed up its metabolism.

It seems that most of C3 plants responds differently at different % of methanol, and if too high concentration, they will suffer.Wich % for cannabis?

I wold try a 5% solution of methanol but how the shaded part of the plants will react? I work with just 2x400w and some cfl's and the canopy is not all under the direct sunlight.
Should I test this on a side branch observing reaction first?

I just don't want to fuck with glycerine and other molecules I don't know how they work, and as first time and because methanol is way toxic I just don't want to ruin my crop :D

Where I can find methanol btw?

Thank you again for your input, I will investigate into further.

From what I understand (and I've done this before on growing crops), you need the light to use up the carbon.

Finding methanol? I dunno really. I ordered in by the 50 gal drum from my fuel supplier. I'm sure it's out there.

Works and accelerates growth as per your OP. Just needs to be fine tuned for this crop.

C

Classy@Home

Heard about ethylene too,but I thinks gas application should be done with air in\outlets closed, so the atmosphere can be saturated by the gas going to stimulate plant's ripening.
I just can't close air in\out because temperature, I had to remove co2 tank because I needed to low the temp with extraction.

And I don't think ripening fruit can be used in a growroom as emission of ethylene is not controllable, and how do you know when the atmosphere is saturated at the right point? should a monitor is needed? probably I think....
Prob right - I was thinking of this during dark period, hormones don't need open stomata for absorption, and the cooler temps and closed ventilation would be optimal...

Counter to Co2 use, which does req open stomata for intake.

Hang some green bananas in the grow at nite - keep them in a "green bag" during the day, empty the accumulated gas back into grow. Prob best for small cab grows, or areas where bananas are plentiful...

Hmmmm - and bananas are delicious, so eat them, and enjoy the potassium...

Scrogerman

Veteran
So whats up with using a Forcing solution then, like GHRipen? id use that over methonol just cause i can grab it in the shop & it works, fast.

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
From what I understand (and I've done this before on growing crops), you need the light to use up the carbon.

Finding methanol? I dunno really. I ordered in by the 50 gal drum from my fuel supplier. I'm sure it's out there.

Works and accelerates growth as per your OP. Just needs to be fine tuned for this crop.

Searching on the web for methanol I discovered that in my county it can't be bought without a permission.
I can find only methanol with additives (oils for motors) used in little RC cars (don't want to spray shits like these on my buds)....and by the way...the pure methanol is fucking expensive.
So, at now I have to exclude methanol to improve ripening speed.
I will look further for it in the future ;)

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i find that plant health has a lot to do with how quickly the buds will ripen

the healthier the plants the quicker they seem to finish

the realy healthy deep green plants seem to finish the quickest for me

were as any plants i may have had slight problems with take longer

spearzy

You're right.I think the same about ripening and healty plants.
However deep green plants seems to me that takes longer to ripen but also to start forming flowers in the first flowering phase.Deep green = a lot of N in the tissues and N is not good for flowering, you know for sure ;)

I really think the OP needs to speed up the whole flowering process. From what I read he needs to tear down by a certain date. I think shorter days would do that but would affect yield. 10/12 or 9/12 light periods would speed up the whole process.

If you use Co2, lower it the last couple weeks. As noted ethylene is used to help ripen, but supposedly CO2 prevents ethylene production

What you wrote is true, co2 inhibits natural ethylene production.
I think I'll try to decrease light hours,and I do not use co2 anymore due to temperature issue first.I just can't keep the room sealed.It becomes too hot!

So whats up with using a Forcing solution then, like GHRipen? id use that over methonol just cause i can grab it in the shop & it works, fast.

I don't need to go to the growshop...I already have my ripen in my stuff, but I tried it in the past and I didn't notice anything faster, so I prefer to keep my nutrient solution with straight bloom and micro parts till the flush.

Thanks all of you for your contribution in this thread,much appreciated :)