What's new

how do you leave your moms for a couple weeks without them getting burned from bulb?

T

TREE KING

Any timer can do that I'm pretty sure. I never saw one that couldn't. I use the mechanical brinks timer that cost like $6 and it can do that no problem. Here's an article about a similar light cycle. This one actually works out to 12/12 but still prevents flower. I used that method before and it works for sure.

thanks for the link and info orange that helps me out alot. now the only thing i gotta do is figure out this screen Crusader Rabbit was talkin about and then im all set

T

TREE KING

guys could i also just switch to t5's when im outta town than if they touch the bulbs they wont get burned? i never used t5's before the bulb cant burn the plants right?

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
wow lots of responses thanks guys. i usually switch back and forth from 18/6 to 24 depending on how fast i need the clones but i never knew it was possible to do 13/11 without flowering the plants so that makes things easier.

im also curious about this type of screen your talking about? the only thing i can picture in my head is the square screen you put in a house window. what is the name of the type of screen your talking about and where can i buy this at?

I used to flower all my plants under 13/11 until I started growing more sativa dominant strains.

The mesh size of your screen is the critical factor. Quarter inch hardware cloth would be the easiest (any hardware supplier) but it might let a few shoots slip through. A finer mesh would guarantee that the plants remain underneath, but then you're starting to create more shade. But since this is just to keep the plants from suicide, not for maximum light/growth, a window screen should work great. You could just go to a window place and they'll frame up any size you want.

T

TREE KING

I used to flower all my plants under 13/11 until I started growing more sativa dominant strains.

The mesh size of your screen is the critical factor. Quarter inch hardware cloth would be the easiest (any hardware supplier) but it might let a few shoots slip through. A finer mesh would guarantee that the plants remain underneath, but then you're starting to create more shade. But since this is just to keep the plants from suicide, not for maximum light/growth, a window screen should work great. You could just go to a window place and they'll frame up any size you want.

and how do you recommend attaching the screen to the reflector? maybe im making this seem alot more complicated than it is, what just gorilla tape it or something?

would my other option be going with t5's Crusader Rabbit? they cant burn plants right?

Last edited:

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
Don't attach the screen to the light. Either hang it from the ceiling of your cab or support it from underneath with whatever you can find. If it has a frame this task is simplified. You could screw some blocks of wood to the inside sides of the cab if the screen is the right dimensions.

I haven't used T5s. I believe they are relatively cool though. With my shop lights the plants will only cook where they're really pressed against the tubes. This can kill a growing tip, but you're trying to keep a plant alive here to cut up later, not grow a big terminal cola. With tubes vertically mounted to the walls of a cab the plants will grow against the lights and brown a bit but it won't kill the growing tips because they can keep going upwards with no increase in heat.

Really, if all you're doing is trying to keep these things alive for two weeks you could just hang a couple CFLs in there for the short time you'll be away.

T

TREE KING

Don't attach the screen to the light. Either hang it from the ceiling of your cab or support it from underneath with whatever you can find. If it has a frame this task is simplified. You could screw some blocks of wood to the inside sides of the cab if the screen is the right dimensions.

I haven't used T5s. I believe they are relatively cool though. With my shop lights the plants will only cook where they're really pressed against the tubes. This can kill a growing tip, but you're trying to keep a plant alive here to cut up later, not grow a big terminal cola. With tubes vertically mounted to the walls of a cab the plants will grow against the lights and brown a bit but it won't kill the growing tips because they can keep going upwards with no increase in heat.

Really, if all you're doing is trying to keep these things alive for two weeks you could just hang a couple CFLs in there for the short time you'll be away.

the cfl's are starting to make alot of sense to me maybe il just do that. thanks for the help everyone!