What's new

How Do You Flush in Hydro?

whodi

Veteran
Never done hydro.

How do you all flush? Just run straight ph adjusted water in the rez the last 10 days.. or what? Do you still use hygrozyme and other additives during the flush?

Murphy

I flushed my plants for a month before harvesting, DJ Grape Krush. The plan was 2 weeks but the were still growing so I let them go. It depends on the strain but in general people go for 7-10 days. I prefer a little longer, 2 weeks. No additives, just ph'ed distilled water.

MrMcBean

if u got the cash.. why not try an additive? havent had the chance to do so myself, but I sure dont hear anyone complaining about them.

gonejah17

what do u ph ur water at during the flush?? 6.0?? 5.8??

Im flushing on my first dro run right now too. If the plants arent taking up nutes from the medium anymore, why do u need to ph the water, just curious.

Murphy

Yes, always PH the water. I tested (4) 2 1/2 Gallons of distilled water and they all tested different, one was at 10, another at 8. Fill the res, then test and adjust. Just my .02

gonejah17

Ph it at 6.0??

Thats what I did, she brought it up to 6.5 and Ive been adjusting back down

I have some clearex, Ive used it on my soil laidies, should I throw some in the res????

Thanks guys for any tips

gonejah17

Ive been hearing not to put PH meters in RO water

just FYI

can I see some pictures off ppls flushed plants that they flushed with the recommended settings?? Im just getting so many diff opinions

{EDIT} some info form a great grower

If you put your pH meter into RO,
there are no free ions,
and the ionic reference fluid in your probe,
or the silver chloride reference wire,
will loose ions to the RO,
through the ceramic junction,
which will cause your probe to fail calibration test.

When you calibrate your probe,
if the numbers won't stabilize,
in under 30 seconds,
your probe is faulty,
and should be replaced.

When your meter breaks,
and it will,
get one with a detachable probe,
so you can keep a spare probe handy,
or you could be OCD like me
and have two meters,
with spare probes.

Last edited:

BudLove

Here's a question....

WHY BOTHER PH'ING the flush water?

I mean - IMHO - the whole purpose of flushing is to Remove the salt buildups in the medium, provide the plant with drinking water it needs for hydration, and force the plant to eat itself (thus removing N built-up in the fan leaves).

So - if you pH your water - what is that doing that un-pH'ed water wouldnt do?

Seems like a waste of time to me...never bothered with it and flush went fine as rain.

gonejah17

this is the exact question Ive been asking myself over the last couple days. Im thinking don tph ur flush water. and dont stick ur ph meters in straight RO

Hey man if u wanna get some info and some hits on ur grows, check out GC

JohnnyToke

at flush time, you could always skip the RO water and use regular tap water that has sit out for 24 hours to let the chlorine evaporate.

then no harm is done to your PH pen.

JT

HairlessCaveApe

Proper ph allows the plant to more easily proces the nutes that your flushin out. The nutes that are stored in the plant are more efficiently used up(flushed out) if you ph your water. The plant cant process nutes without the proper ph, and thats what you want the plant to do, process all the nutes that are left in it so their are none left in it when you smoke.

gonejah17

This is definitely one of the opinions, its just not clearly documented anywhere. Some ppl are saying the ph range is only for NUTRIENT UPTAKE not PROCSESSING. I have no idea but want to know.

BudLove

HairlessCaveApe said:
Proper ph allows the plant to more easily proces the nutes that your flushin out. The nutes that are stored in the plant are more efficiently used up(flushed out) if you ph your water. The plant cant process nutes without the proper ph, and thats what you want the plant to do, process all the nutes that are left in it so their are none left in it when you smoke.

Sorry to 'call anyone out' on this thread - but as the originator of it stated - this shit has never been documented/proven ANYWHERE.

S0, Hairless - do you have evidence of your statment? Or are you just guessing at what the plant would do, during flush, with pH'ed water.

From what I have researched, experienced (through significant testing on each harvest) and read - this is bullshit.

Plants, during a flush phase are EATING THEMSELVES. They are NOT 'dumping' nutrients back into the solution.

If you take RO water at 0 EC, replace your plant's rez with it, and the EC increases - this is NOT from the plant...this is from the MEDIUM the plant was in! Such as soil, rockwool, etc (though the latter is unlikely at the point of harvest).

Therefore, I ask again - why would ANYONE recommend to pH the water. There were several posts on this thread suggesting this.... so please all, speak up.

If not - then save this guy his $$ and let him know - you are either going by what you 'think' makes sense or you're just guessing.

Bro - save your pH UP/DOWN shit for growing... don't waste it on your flush.

HairlessCaveApe

So then BudLove, what your saying is that once the nutes are stored in the plant, the plant can process them regardless of what the ph is? I aint buyin it. Also,my ppm's rize considerqably durring theyr week long flush period and my medium is hydroton, can you explane this? -Also, Im well aware that the flushing process in hydro aint to make the plant regurgitate into its nute solution, please excuse my semantics, Im very well aware that the flush process in hydro is to make the plant use up whatever nutes are in its vegative material, but this is what most folks consider "flushing" in hydro. I've always ph'd my water to 6.4 durring theyr flush and I,ve always had wonderfull results and I harvest every other week. Altho your rite bout the fact that I never did a side by side test on what I said, I do believe it to be true. Mabey I'l do a test about this one day but I dont think so, my results satisfy me greatly!

cave does make since, doesnt some nut. lock out at diffrent ph? and i thought running strait water was to flush, of all nut. if plant cant eat it cus its locked that out. it defeats the perpose. but i can see budloves point too... why add something when you want to flush it out. guess you have to choose-ph sulution in your plants or nut..

how about 2 weeks of ph water and last week strait water, to finish off ph solution?

Last edited:

HairlessCaveApe

3 weeks is just way too long to flush. Just flush for the last week and keep your ph where the nute manufacturer suggests you keep it at for the plants finish. In other words if the nute manufacturer sugests you keep the ph at 6.0 for the last 2 weeks of flower, keep it there but flush for the last week by giving the plant plane water instead of nutes but keep the ph of the water at 6.0 just like the nute manufacturer sugests.