What's new

How do I transfer files from IPad to other devices?

Space Toker

Veteran
I may be a technological dinosaur, but I got sick of taking notes on a notepad (the kind with paper and pen) and having the ink get smudged or not being able to read my own writing. So I got the bright idea to get an IPad, and thought there would be some feature on there, some icon saying "export documents" or something, where you could then access it on a Macbook Pro laptop, with the ultimate goal of getting the files onto my PC (where I already have some notes copied from the old paper notepad). These gardening notes (all numbers and initials, nothing obvious) would become files of data that would help me keep track of things and track progress.

I tried downloading filebrowser and dropbox, but can't figure it out! Hell I can't even figure out where to start! I don't want to use ICloud, but was even trying that out and it said it cannot access the files already on my IPad. What can I do?

Space Toker

Veteran
Common, I can't be the first guy on earth to want to transfer files from an IPad to an external drive or mac! I need to know the answer soon, it may be obvious to you or a dumb question to you, but to me it is confounding and important to solve. thanks!

vostok

Veteran
You could use windows explorer, or better just email them to yourself ...?

the deal is ...when connected up right ...you should get that windows 'tada tada' sound..?
saying you are ready and connected...?

but as with Joe^^^^ gurlge is your buddy

Lowman

I don't have an ipad...but in order to transfer from an iphone or ipod...you need a free program called." iexplorer ". That should do it.

Space Toker

Veteran
No search engine is my buddy! :D I suck at it, never get what I am looking for. I get angry at those who just say to search, but then if you are good at it I guess I see their point. At first I was going to say "don't you think I DID SEARCH FIRST? Why else would you think I'd be posting this?!" I need lessons I guess! ;)

For instance, (I use Ixquick, I heard Google is evil and keeps data) when I searched this is all I got:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1505265

Didn't tell me shit! I downloaded dropbox and filebrowser and still can't figure out how to get them to do what I want them to! I guess I can try the e-mail to myself thing, but it should be just as easy as a USB cord like it is with mac.

Space Toker

Veteran
I have a Yahoo e-mail account, and was going to try sending from the IPad from one account to another, but couldn't figure out how to attach files! I tried to sign up for a new yahoo or hushmail account, and they require a mobile phone number. I have a cell phone (didn't until like a week ago, inherited bro's old one just to check in with him when needed), but not a "burner phone" so don't want to give them access to real info... are there any e-mail services that don't ask for this info?

vostok

Veteran
Its not a case of ignoring you...but describing under these circumstances how to educate you thru this...a tutorial pictograph is so useful here...and hence the reason to use a search, ..but really if you can't do that ...consider help from a friend or neighbor ..?

Space Toker

Veteran
what do I search for? I told you I suck at searches! Have any links at least? maybe I am misreading your intent and you AREN'T just being difficult... OK well thanks anyway...

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
If you have iTunes on your regular computer, windows or mac, you can
connect the iPad usb to it and use itunes to transfer files.

Space Toker

Veteran
I tried that too, I could have sworn I already described this but I guess not. I saw the folder there, but I clicked om it and nothing happened. Nothing happened when I tried to do things on the IPad either. It's like it was there but not really, it wouldn't respond. I got the IPad online and so have no instructions/manuals and don't know if it required some setup I didn't do or what. Thank you for trying to help, maybe you can help me figure out what I did wrong or didn't do right... thanks!

Dropped Cat

Veteran
We'll get to bottom of this. I have no iPad, but a buddy of mine does,
I'll ask him about transfer of files and get back to you.

Dropped Cat

Veteran
https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1595/en_US/ipad_user_guide.pdf

My guy is out of town, but the link I provided is the Apple pdf user guide.

The following is from page 17:

• iTunes syncs music, videos, photos, and more between your computer and iPad. Changes you make on one device are copied to the other when you sync. You can also use iTunes to copy a file to iPad for use with an app, or to copy a document you’ve created on iPad to your computer.

See Sync with iTunes on page 18, next.

You can use iCloud or iTunes, or both, depending on your needs. For example, you can use iCloud Photo Stream to automatically keep your contacts and calendars up to date on all your devices, and use iTunes to sync music from your computer to iPad.

Important: To avoid duplicates, keep contacts, calendars, and notes in sync using iCloud or iTunes, but not both.

You can also choose to manually manage content from iTunes by selecting that option in the iPad Summary pane. Then you can drag songs or videos from your iTunes library to iPad in iTunes. This is useful if your iTunes library contains more items than can fit on your iPad.

Note: If you use iTunes Match, you can manually manage only video.

Space Toker

Veteran
I thank you and I hope this manual will help. I may have to ask, based on past luck or lack thereof, why things that are supposed to work don't work for me. I tried ITunes and ICloud already, neither worked, I can only hope I did something wrong and this info you provided helps me figure it out. If it means anything, I am trying to get "numbers" (Ipad's spreadsheet app) files to download onto a mac laptop. I really want the data on my pc as that is where other past info is, but I hope once on the external drive set up for mac, I can transfer this to the external drive for the pc. thanks

Connect the iPad to a cpu to store the data locally on the cpu. Then you can hook up anything via USB to transfer the data over

Latest posts

Latest posts