What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How do I Save that special clone to seed!?!?!

bluemagoo

Hey everyone, great new forum. :D

Seems all the friendly people are here, I like it so far.

My trouble come from a posible move in the future. I'm tired of this old dump. :| hehe

I grow 3 plants at a time, having 3 sometime up to 6 or a few more little tiney clones starting for the next crop. "Keepin it as small as posible".

Space is not an issue, so I'v thought about trying to grow 1 plant under 1 1000watt light to see if I could still yeild 15 to 25 ounces like I do off 3 plants. Oh and yes I never seem to harvest the same amount, must be my skills. :\

Anyhow after doing this for 7 years, I have come across 1 killer female! She loves to grow, frost resistant, with a very unique high "maybe sative indica cross, realy not sure". I realy realy want to keep this girl. For 1 I am tired of keeping an extra couple clones going when I don't grow this strain. And if I do move soon, I don't want to cart live plants with me!

I have seen on other forums that you can breed a male to a female and than keep breeding her sons back to here for so many times and you would end up with her in seed form. But I read that does not work. Others are saying I can inbreed the brothers and sisters and just watch for characteristics that I desire.

So I am not sure what rout to take or if any of this can work at all, with the nature of genetic reshufling.

What do you all think would be the best rout to take to save this girl into seed form? or can it be done? She was realy special is she just a fluke that cannot be reproduced? is that at all posible?

Anxiouse to preserve this girls genetics, I have cross bred her with a blue berry male, and have sproute 5 seeds to see what they turn out like. My frist attempt to breed plants, and I ruined 1 of my plants with seeds, more seeds than I could imagin, so lesson learned.

What should I be doing next?

thanks everyone.

Last edited:

fupDuck

couldn't you just root a clone into a houseplant size planter, then on the day of the move, put it in a box, and go? are you moving cross-town or cross-country?

bluemagoo

This is posibly a cross country move. I wouldn't want to take her with me on a plain train or a bus. This is my delema. It would also be nice to beable to have her in seed form for outdoor grows aswell.

JLP

Veteran
About the only option I've seen to create seeds from a clone is to cause it to hermie somehow and allow it to pollenate itself.There are several ways to attempt this but NONE are fast or sure-fire.

How much time do you have?

JLP:)

bluemagoo

I have about a year actualy. This is a fairly long term goal. I'v been thinking about doing this for a year or 2 already. Now its do it or lose it.

I have tried forcing this girl to go hermy, with no success. I tried light stress and heat stress. Never could find gibberellic acid "chemical I heard turns plants hermy"

I may beable to get 3 maybe even 4 more grows before anything has to be moved, so I have a little play to work with.

these 5 sprouted seeds that I made crosing a blue berry male to my girl, are ready to be flowered, I noticed some preflowers on one of them. I have planed to cross the males that I get from these seeds to the original clone again. Is this a bad Idea?

I read somewhere "OG I think it was" that this will narrow down the genetics to more of the mothers.

After that cross I hope to take males and females closest resemblence to mom and breed them. I may have time to see what the outcome of those seeds will be, but I will probly have to leave at this point.

Do you think I will have saved enough gentics in those few crosses, to later pull a similar strain out of the mix when I get settled again?

thanks

Last edited:

Telepod

1st post to this board; Hi everyone

1st post to this board; Hi everyone

Hello JLP! I was just about to post that very same link; good looking out there. :)

Bluemagoo: Given your constraint that you don't want to keep a live clone of the "perfect plant" thru your move, I have an idea. It almost makes sense.

Grow for males!

Specifically, make your blueberry cross or whatever (original blueberry is a great choice, actually); then grow as many of the first, F1 generation as you possibly can. For the purpose I have in mind, you can really pack them in there since yield is of no concern. As soon as they are mature put the F1 plants into flowering and keep only the males. You want as many different pollen sources as possible, because this is the original bottleneck for the genes you are trying to preserve.

So, keep every single male from the f1 generation, collect all the pollen and blend it together. Use it to pollenate the original, keeper clone and you have your first backcross. Grow these out and you have a choice: you can either repeat the process above and keep all the males, or you can start to cull out the weaker or less desirable males from the mix. The genetically conservative thing to do would be to keep everything from this generation also, and only start selecting for desirable plants when you get set up in your new location. If you breed back to the keeper clone every generation, you may have a chance to fix some of the traits you see expressed in the original clone. I'm sure it's inccurate to say you can reproduce a plant by outcrossing and backcrossing repeatedly, but you do have a very good chance to narrow in on the traits you like and get the line to breed true for them.

I hope all this claptrap has some practical application. ;) I'm in the midst of relocating, myself, so I know a litle of what you are going through. I will be able to keep a few clones, but I have some projects that are stuck at stage two, just waiting in seed form until I am settled. I'm anxious to be able to get back to work on them!

Take care, all;

-Telepod

bluemagoo

Thanks for the idea's guys. I guess there is no real answer or no real rout for me to take to get to my goal.

JLP that thred about converting plants to hermy using silver nitrate and sodium thiosulfate was very interestnig and intreguing. I search high and low for Gebrielic acid for a long time now, this is the chemical everyone told me to get to make my plant go hermy. These chemicals on the other hand sound like they are redily available at any photo development shop. :D

I'm definitaly gona order some of these chemicals, $15 bux is nothing if this will work.

thanks guys

JLP

Veteran
Right on Bluemogoo :)

I'm sure we'd all like to see your results.I have some Gibb acid but haven't tried it yet.I also tried the stress method with no results.Upon reflection however,it would seem a good test for hermie tendancies.I think the only plants it would induce are the ones that are hermie prone to begin with.The only real downside to the Gibb or the Silver is that you can't smoke the finished product after you spray them.If you want to smoke them try Telepods method,or for that matter try both.Sometimes the reversal doesn't take all the way and you get sterile pollen,and you won't know until the plants are almost done.

JLP:)

G

No one recomends the Soma way?

No one recomends the Soma way?

Why not use Rodelization. Simply overflower (don't harvest, just let it go)a clone of your mum until she sprouts a male banana, collect the pollen and then polinate a clone of the mum, and there go, feminised seeds, and it's going to be damn close to the original in theory :)

G

That's a good idea too, do the refridgeration method! Check the OG faqs, I think it's be ~S~, you could take the clippings, keep em in the fridge and then just take em with you.

You might even be able to take cuttings, then pay some $ for refridgerated shipping and just mail em to your new address.

If you are gonna mail, go UPS, no drug checking, I know people who mail buds this way.

bluemagoo

Well I decided to just grow out the 2 seedlings that turned out to be female. I killed off the males. I'm gona plant these seedlings from time to time to see if I come across a desirable female, than find a male with similar physical traits to the female and breed them for F2's.

I was about to do this project with very little selection, but after talking to ken for a few days in Mirc. I was kinda convinced I needed to put more focus on this project, if I were to do it at all.

So for now I think I will beable to save this clone somewhere somehow travel or not. Maybe just taking advantage of the outdoor season if timing is right. :)

I finaly found Gibberellic acid, my hydro store had it in their catalog all along, they just didn't know what I was asking for.

Activol Tablets "The gibberellic acid contained in activol Tablets is a naturalyy occurring plant growth regulator with aids in formation of larger, healthier flowers"

Something I never head of, anyone know if this would be a good idea to improve yeild posibly? Or if I watered my plants with these Activol tablets, would it just turn em hermy?

This is very interesting now that I have found Gibberellic acid and its potrayed use in the hydroponic catalog.

I will be trying a few things, I will post any results idea's or descisions I come up with.

thanks

hyperseth

in greg green's cannabis grow bible the advise is to try to turn a plant into a hermie every way you can learn of and then if the plant hasn't displayed the hermie quality it is a prime canidate for selfing with Gibberellic acid.
apply Gibberellic acid technique, collect the pollen and then use it on your next crop. the book says that seeds made this way are just like clones of the plant.

if you get the Gibberellic acid to work you may indeed have hordes of ICMAGers hitting you up for beans.

Latest posts

Latest posts