What's new

How do I revive "dead" seeds ????

rootcap

When I moved my seeds were exposed to high temps up to 100 degrees for over a month in a room w/o AC. I recently tried to germinate some they all fail to sprout, tried soaking, cracking, peroxide, paper towel, rapid rooters, coco + perlite. No success at all, the seeds are all generally white and look viable inside, but turn to white mush inside when trying to germinate. 10 years of breeding, gone, Including Outlaw's Gorilla Grape and Magic Merlin, Snagglepuss Purple Koolaid, SOL SWT3, Purple Krowberry, Ken's GDP, Nice ISS x Rom line, 4+ of my own fem'd, and many more. Wish I could have have in freezer but for security reasons, was not possible, thank god for pollen! :bashhead:

how old are the seeds ???

swampbuggy

Success again, tried some of my fem'd Church x Cali O started sprouting in the fridge after about a month, I gotta remember to write down the dates.
The seeds were up to 10 years old.
I still am going to see if my sober brother (1500 miles away) still has some seeds from 1978? Yellow gold, smooth, seedy as all hell.

rootcap

Success again, tried some of my fem'd Church x Cali O started sprouting in the fridge after about a month, I gotta remember to write down the dates.
The seeds were up to 10 years old.
I still am going to see if my sober brother (1500 miles away) still has some seeds from 1978? Yellow gold, smooth, seedy as all hell.

went for a test also...

all you did is placed the seeds in paper with H2O2 in the fridge ?

rootcap

after 12 hours in the fridge everything got frozen.... lol

swampbuggy, did you mixed the H2O2 with water ? if so, in what rate ?

D.D.

Success, I was cleaning out the fridge yesterday and most of the seeds sprouted! They were in a jar for months in a damp paper towel and over a couple oz of hydrogen peroxide.
I had success getting old seed to germ in hydrogen peroxide, put them in soil, then they lost vigor and whithered away.

Maybe the cool temps of the refrigerator is what I was lacking.

swampbuggy, are the seedlings vibrant after they sprout from the soil?
or are they doing good for a few days and then whither away?

I have some old beans I'd like to pop, but have put that idea on hold due to bad past experiences.
Might give it another go depending on your answer.

swampbuggy

I had them in a jar in the bottom of the fridge, paper towel wet with tap water, squeezed out, then soaked in h2o2 and gently squeezed out excess, hanging above a couple oz. 100% h2o2 in bottom of jar - so I don't have problems with fungus/mold problems here.

Probably half grow like usual, the rest wither and die or are weak and get tossed.

Latest posts

Latest posts