What's new

How do I keep my cats out of my flower garden? They're using it as a litter box!

BEoNG_234

I have just planted my flower garden with all sorts of seeds and bulbs. Unfortunately, my cats seem to think that I've dug up all of this nice dirt for them to use as a litter box. I've tried coffee grounds sprinkled on the area which I've heard are repulsive to cats and also fertilize the flowers, but my cats evidently were born at a Starbuck's. I now have sprinkled mothballs all over the flower bed but I'm afraid that they are going to burn my plants that are now coming up although they are keeping the cats out. Can anyone help me?
smile.gif

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Use a fence and create a spot for the cats with soft soil, so they most probably will go there , leaving your plants growing nice. You can even use a short and squat pot, so you can easily remove poo.

It really works and it was the only way for me to keep cats away from my garden. However, wood skewers works too. Just put them in the soil at different height and the cats won't easily go there, however after some time they learn how to remove them.

Hope it helps :wave:

S

Sat X RB

bet yr cats have no other dirt to do their thing in ... right? probably you could correct that. and yr plants won't be affected by mothballs ... which won't last long outdoors.

GrowerGaz

Sure its not the plants they can smell like cat piss some strains , had some Royal Queen Northern Lights auto that atunk of cat piss for the first 3\4 weeks of flowering

MJBadger

Veteran
Do a web search for cat water repellants , cats hate water being squirted on them . I have seen them in action & they work great , cats come on to the soil & a sensor sets off the water , they need connection to a hose but are well worth it .

icon

ICMag Donor
Veteran
chocolate bean hulls will keep cats out of any garden for some reason they hate the stuff & wont go near it but be catious about it if you have dogs,,, ide do research on it 1st though i read it can be harmfull to cats too if they eat it but my friends cat wont even go near it just a warning to look into it yourself.

other then that cocoa bean husk is sold or even given away as garden mulch. For this, the husk is highly sought after. The husk is full of nutrients and has high concentrations of nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorous—all important plant nutrients. Its strong fibers help to break up the soil, and thus it is particularly useful in soils with lots of clay. When used to cover the soil, it helps to keep the moisture in and makes a beautiful ground cover. The best part, of course, is that it makes gardens smell of chocolate. you can get it at home depot.

heres an article on it http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/cocoamulch.asp
Although Home Depot is named as a vendor of cocoa mulch in the example cited at the head of this page, the company told us in May 2006 that: "The Home Depot does not and will not sell mulch harmful to pets. The mulch sold by The Home Depot containing cocoa shells goes through several cleaning processes, including a high heat system in order to strip the cocoa fat from the shells without the use of any chemicals.")

http://www.petwave.com/Cats/Basics/Chocolate.aspx
Dogs are more likely to become poisoned by eating chocolate than cats, for several reasons. First, dogs seem to be especially fond of the taste of chocolate. They also tend to get into garbage, “counter-surf” and rummage through grocery bags, backpacks, cupboards and purses in search of tasty tidbits, which may include chocolate. Dogs are fairly indiscriminate eaters and can easily consume an entire bag of chocolate candy or a plate of chocolate cookies very quickly. Cats, on the other hand, tend to be much more discriminating about their dietary selections. In addition, toxicological studies have shown that dogs are especially sensitive to theobromine when compared to other domestic animals. Dogs metabolize theobromine very slowly, which causes the substance to stay in their blood streams for an unusually long time. This may be true to a lesser degree in cats. However, because cats are less apt to eat chocolate, less research on feline chocolate toxicity has been published. Pets – especially dogs - can also become poisoned if the eat the cacao bean hulls that are frequently used as landscape mulch or bedding, although fortunately most of those cases aren’t fatal.

Last edited:
OP is trolling.. I knew I had seen this exact post a few years ago so I googled it & this exact post is on another website too.. Starbucks joke and all...

Lmao. For real!! The first time I read it on another forum board a few yrs ago I was like WTF? I didn't believe it either!! So when I saw that shit right now I had to say something. IDK why someone would go through the trouble making & verifying an account only to post that then never respond... Stupid.. lol..

pekelo44

they may be trying to mark it's territory. I never had cats in my yard then I took a clone home and put it in the yard (soil) to grow then within the first week a cat pooped near it about 6"- 8" away I scooped it up then 2 days later the cat came back and pooped about 2" - 4" almost near the stock I was worried scooped the poop and when I returned a day later and there it was again cat poop and the plant was dead that was some killer crap. Ever since then I grow in pots in my yard usually on a milk crate to keep it above the soil level and to keep the cats and now dog out. I've used tomato cages and the small cats will try to fit through the complex configuration of tomato cage mesh but the rest stay away

Latest posts

Latest posts