What's new

How do I breed a new cannabis strain?

justinmendez

Breeding a new cannabis strain involves careful selection and controlled pollination.

First, choose parent plants with desired traits such as flavor, potency, and growth characteristics. Cross-pollinate the selected male and female plants, either naturally or through controlled methods. Collect the resulting seeds for germination and observe the offspring's traits. Select plants that exhibit the desired characteristics and continue breeding them over multiple generations to stabilize the strain.

This process may include techniques like selective breeding and backcrossing to reinforce desirable traits. It requires patience, expertise, and adherence to legal regulations. Through continuous observation, selection, and refinement, breeders can create unique and stable cannabis strains that cater to specific preferences.

I hope you read and understand my post, I am Looking forward to your point of view.

OpenPollenSeeds

get to know the lines
smoke the dads , cross the dads to multiple ladies

unless you have like 8 diffrent grow tents , 4 for testing the dads , and 4 for testing the offspring
its gonna be a very time and effort consuming process if you wanna do it right .
Mad respect forr the breeders in prohibitionland , idk how they do it lol

pretty sure 85% of breeders are more pollen chuckers .
No disrespect , i belong to that group myself hehe

Last edited:

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Praise Jesus the secret's finally out!!!!

I been getting so tired of these 90's strains and can't wait for something new.

It's so sad that us older growers gotta smoke this elderly decades old gear...

Josh OGK purping 10.2.22.JPG

Chem D Macro 10.11.22.JPG

92 OGK bud 10.2.22.JPG

as soon as those seeds from the new strain are dry please send ASAP Bro!

Dr.Mantis

Breeding a new cannabis strain involves careful selection and controlled pollination.

First, choose parent plants with desired traits such as flavor, potency, and growth characteristics. Cross-pollinate the selected male and female plants, either naturally or through controlled methods. Collect the resulting seeds for germination and observe the offspring's traits. Select plants that exhibit the desired characteristics and continue breeding them over multiple generations to stabilize the strain.

This process may include techniques like selective breeding and backcrossing to reinforce desirable traits. It requires patience, expertise, and adherence to legal regulations. Through continuous observation, selection, and refinement, breeders can create unique and stable cannabis strains that cater to specific preferences.

I hope you read and understand my post, I am Looking forward to your point of view.
Lmao is this a chat gpt bot?

revegeta666

Lmao is this a chat gpt bot?
My thoughts exactly hahaha. Let me have a go at it

Breeding a new cannabis strain typically involves a selective breeding process that combines desired traits from different parent plants. Here is a general overview of the steps involved in breeding a new cannabis strain:
  1. Define Goals: Determine the specific traits you want to achieve in the new strain, such as potency, flavor, aroma, growth characteristics, or medicinal properties. Clarify your breeding goals before starting the process.
  2. Choose Parent Plants: Select two cannabis plants with the desired traits. These plants are referred to as the parent plants or "parents." It's important to choose genetically stable and healthy parent plants to ensure the quality of the offspring.
  3. Crossbreeding: Pollinate the female flowers of one parent plant (the "female" or "mother" plant) with the pollen from the male flowers of the other parent plant (the "male" or "father" plant). This process is known as crossbreeding. It's essential to keep detailed records of the parent plants, crossbreeding dates, and other relevant information.
  4. Seed Production: Once pollination occurs, the female plant will produce seeds. Allow the seeds to fully mature on the plant before harvesting them. This may take several weeks to months depending on the strain.
  5. Germination and Phenotype Selection: Germinate the collected seeds, and grow the resulting seedlings into mature plants. Each seedling will have a unique genetic makeup. Evaluate the plants based on your breeding goals and select individuals that exhibit the desired traits. This step involves a careful evaluation of various characteristics such as plant structure, growth pattern, aroma, flavor, resin production, and other specific traits you're targeting.
  6. Stabilization: After selecting promising individuals, cultivate and observe them over multiple generations to stabilize the desired traits. This involves further selective breeding, eliminating plants that don't meet the desired criteria and retaining those that consistently exhibit the desired traits.
  7. Testing and Refinement: Test the stabilized strains under different growing conditions and environments to assess their performance. Refine the strain by selecting individuals that consistently meet your breeding goals and eliminate any undesirable traits.
  8. Reproduction and Distribution: Once you have a stabilized strain with the desired traits, you can reproduce it through cloning or by using the selected parents to produce more seeds. Ensure that you adhere to legal regulations and obtain any necessary licenses or permissions before distributing or selling the strain.
Remember that breeding cannabis strains requires expertise, patience, and knowledge of genetics. It's also important to understand the legal implications and comply with the laws and regulations in your jurisdiction regarding cannabis breeding and distribution.

And so ends my thesis on how to breed a cannabis strain.

revegeta666

Last one lol, this is so addictive :ROFLMAO:

Write a poem in which the protagonist is a cannabis breeder named Mitsuharu. Describe all the steps in him breeding a new cannabis strain, with which he cures his neighbour's cancer, becomes rich and famous breaking the record for instagram likes, and ultimately saves the world ending all wars because everyone is too stoned to fight. Must end in a huge explosion.

In the realm of cannabis dreams, Mitsuharu dwells,
A breeder of strains, where tales and magic swells.
With passion and skill, he crafts his creation,
A journey of love, innovation, and elation.

Step by step, Mitsuharu begins his quest,
To breed a new strain, the finest and the best.
He selects parents, each with traits divine,
One with soothing aroma, the other with potent line.

Crossbreeding their essence, a dance of nature's grace,
He combines their strengths, in this sacred space.
Their union births seeds, each holding promise,
For a future strain, that cures and astonishes.

Germination unfolds, seedlings emerge with zeal,
As Mitsuharu tends to their every need, with ardent zeal.
He nurtures their growth, a watchful guardian,
Providing nutrients, light, and love, an herbalian.

In the vegetative stage, they thrive and bloom,
Bathed in lush greenery, dispelling all gloom.
Mitsuharu trains and prunes, shaping their form,
Guiding their development, weathering every storm.

With the flowering stage, his creation unfurls,
Buds grow plump, captivating the world.
He tends to their needs, with meticulous care,
Supplying nutrients, and aroma fills the air.

The time arrives, the harvest of his strife,
Bountiful buds, potent and full of life.
Mitsuharu shares his creation, a gift so grand,
With his neighbor afflicted, by cancer's cruel hand.

The cannabis's healing touch, a miraculous sight,
Cancer recedes, replaced by hope's vibrant light.
News spreads like wildfire, far and wide,
Mitsuharu's fame soars, with a global tide.

Instagram's stage awaits, a record to be broken,
Likes flood his profile, every second spoken.
With each double-tap, the world's hearts align,
A revolution of love, where cannabis intertwines.

As the world indulges, in Mitsuharu's strain,
Wars dissolve, in the sweet haze of the mundane.
A global ceasefire, as minds transcend,
Too stoned to fight, in a blissful blend.

But destiny's tapestry weaves a twist untold,
A grand explosion, a tale to unfold.
In a euphoric finale, the world meets its fate,
The explosion of love, consuming hate.

From ashes and smoke, a new world ascends,
Unburdened by conflict, where harmony amends.
Mitsuharu, the catalyst, his legacy profound,

A breeder of peace, in a world newly found.
In the realm of cannabis dreams, Mitsuharu's name,
Echoes through time, his journey aflame.
A tale of a breeder, a savior, and more,
With love and his plants, a destiny to explore.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
better get the recipe for the extract whilst yur at it, lol. maybe for suppositories too...

A breeder of yeast, in a world smelly bound.
Unburdened by PM, Eagle 20 profound.
Encrusted with Russets, his crop gone afoul.
It's not to be trusted, inside of your bowel.

Cuddles

Last one lol, this is so addictive :ROFLMAO:

Write a poem in which the protagonist is a cannabis breeder named Mitsuharu. Describe all the steps in him breeding a new cannabis strain, with which he cures his neighbour's cancer, becomes rich and famous breaking the record for instagram likes, and ultimately saves the world ending all wars because everyone is too stoned to fight. Must end in a huge explosion.

In the realm of cannabis dreams, Mitsuharu dwells,
A breeder of strains, where tales and magic swells.
With passion and skill, he crafts his creation,
A journey of love, innovation, and elation.

Step by step, Mitsuharu begins his quest,
To breed a new strain, the finest and the best.
He selects parents, each with traits divine,
One with soothing aroma, the other with potent line.

Crossbreeding their essence, a dance of nature's grace,
He combines their strengths, in this sacred space.
Their union births seeds, each holding promise,
For a future strain, that cures and astonishes.

Germination unfolds, seedlings emerge with zeal,
As Mitsuharu tends to their every need, with ardent zeal.
He nurtures their growth, a watchful guardian,
Providing nutrients, light, and love, an herbalian.

In the vegetative stage, they thrive and bloom,
Bathed in lush greenery, dispelling all gloom.
Mitsuharu trains and prunes, shaping their form,
Guiding their development, weathering every storm.

With the flowering stage, his creation unfurls,
Buds grow plump, captivating the world.
He tends to their needs, with meticulous care,
Supplying nutrients, and aroma fills the air.

The time arrives, the harvest of his strife,
Bountiful buds, potent and full of life.
Mitsuharu shares his creation, a gift so grand,
With his neighbor afflicted, by cancer's cruel hand.

The cannabis's healing touch, a miraculous sight,
Cancer recedes, replaced by hope's vibrant light.
News spreads like wildfire, far and wide,
Mitsuharu's fame soars, with a global tide.

Instagram's stage awaits, a record to be broken,
Likes flood his profile, every second spoken.
With each double-tap, the world's hearts align,
A revolution of love, where cannabis intertwines.

As the world indulges, in Mitsuharu's strain,
Wars dissolve, in the sweet haze of the mundane.
A global ceasefire, as minds transcend,
Too stoned to fight, in a blissful blend.

But destiny's tapestry weaves a twist untold,
A grand explosion, a tale to unfold.
In a euphoric finale, the world meets its fate,
The explosion of love, consuming hate.

From ashes and smoke, a new world ascends,
Unburdened by conflict, where harmony amends.
Mitsuharu, the catalyst, his legacy profound,

A breeder of peace, in a world newly found.
In the realm of cannabis dreams, Mitsuharu's name,
Echoes through time, his journey aflame.
A tale of a breeder, a savior, and more,
With love and his plants, a destiny to explore.
I wonder how @Mitsuharu will like this one :)

Dime

The naming of strains is of upmost importance,many of todays strains are better suited as ornamentals.If you want to breed plants,you have to work with IBL's and stabilize them first before any crossing or you really aren't a breeder.

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
Premium user
Its not truth best strains and cuttings are made by accident when hermie polen fly in grow room.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

romanoweed

I'd like to see real breeders go back to crossing landrace strains (and also preserving those landrace strains). These days there is not a great deal of difference between a lot of strains.
not beeing really breeding but ocassionally planting another strain to my reproductions of Landraces and smokeing the results i say this:

What people shouldnt forget, with a "just ok" Landrace you wont create the next big thing very likely. The groundlandraces in circulation are very often lossy, even my old collected ones have some inbreeding fuck ups.. i find the negatives of the landrace i start with dont dissapear magically very often .
I can detect them most often in the hybrid astonishingly well.. Some rare cases the negatives of one strain is nicely covered up from the other strain.. (im not talking of subsequent selection applied, just outcrossing, and evaluating).

Further: what im totally not understanding, why dont people smoke two strains in a joint together.. it gives me i think an absolute good idea what the endresult will be in therms of effect..
This is really really unuderstandable, because only say 1 of 4 combinations of two landraces-lines really convinces me to continue.. its like some things match, and some not..
Also the amounts can be checked that way, 1/2 , 1/4, 1/8 .

Thats my basics for breeding, of corse its mostly for evaluating effect/ or smell can also be evaluated, also by holding two Landrace buds at your nose i think...

Also, what i dont like is hybrids that dont have a main Landrace, a main direction, say: 3/4 Thai and the rest can also be atleast somewhat close related. Whats close to thailand, Nepalese ? or say Lebanese x Nepalese..
Ok, since its just 1/4 that we are adding of foreign genetics, one can also take whatever he wants, say fatass afghani, or columbian. whatever.. But idea is to have some direction in your hybrid insted of doing a boring 50 percent afghani, 50 percent thai. 50 percent of A, and 50 percent of Z in lack of better words, is totally boring imho.

justinmendez

get to know the lines
smoke the dads , cross the dads to multiple ladies

unless you have like 8 diffrent grow tents , 4 for testing the dads , and 4 for testing the offspring
its gonna be a very time and effort consuming process if you wanna do it right .
Mad respect forr the breeders in prohibitionland , idk how they do it lol

pretty sure 85% of breeders are more pollen chuckers .
No disrespect , i belong to that group myself hehe
Hey there!

It seems like you're talking about some activities related to plant breeding and specifically cannabis breeding. The lines you mentioned refer to certain actions and processes involved in breeding plants. "Smoke the dads" suggests consuming or using the male plants for some purpose, possibly referring to selecting specific males for breeding purposes. "Cross the dads to multiple ladies" implies crossing the chosen male plants with different female plants to create offspring with desired traits.

It seems like you have a personal connection to this topic and identify as a pollen chucker yourself. If you have any specific questions or if there's anything else you'd like to discuss regarding plant breeding or any other topic, feel free to let me know!