What's new

How did you quit cigs...?

• Thread starter heavy dank nugg
  • Start date

robbiedublu

i wasn't able to successfully quit until I moved and changed all my habits as far as where I bought them, my job, etc. This was well before the patch was available. Now i'd try that first.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
I used the patch to help me quit. There's 3 strengths- light, medium, heavy. I always used the mediums. The light ones do nothing, and the heavy ones gave me crazy dreams. You can find generic patches for cheaper, they're just as good.

If you smoke after you quit, you have to quit again and again. And you can't quit quitting, if you know what I mean.

It's tough, about 100 times harder than quitting pot, but it can be done. And you'll feel the results in about a week. I feel so much better being a non-smoker (of cigarettes!), cigarettes are a real drag.

You'd be better off setting a target date about a week in advance, and slack off for that week, but if you've already quit for a few days, then just gut it out. The physical cravings are gone in a few days.

Think about the positive things that are going to happen when you quit cigarettes. For one thing, you'll have an extra, what, $100, $200 bucks a month in your pocket. And you'll feel better knowing you're not a slave to the tobacco industry, which basically proves its hatred and contempt for humanity, by not providing a safer cigarette, but instead, making cigarettes stronger, more addictive, AND more expensive.

Free yourself from those murderous motherf#@&#$, and stick it to the man!

Z

Ziggaro

Let me first state I'm not a fan of pills... I don't use them with any regularity not even aspirin

That being said, I used Chantix to quit. Its a prescription but my mom went and got it for me since I don't have insurance. There are some shitty side effects tho, like having nightmares or something... I didn't experience this but I rarely remember my dreams since I always smoke before sleep. It also makes you feel a little rubbery, but I kinda liked it haha :)
You use it half strengh for a week while smoking, and then the next week you up it to regular dose and stop smoking. You are on the medicine for about 2 months and if you smoke you will NOT like it, I promise. I seriously didn't have any urges and had been smoking for about 3 years a pack a day, and on and off starting around age 11 (quit when 22). I didn't smoke as much as some, but I couldn't quit them without it especially when I had coffee and beer (every morning every night :p). I quit 11 months ago and have not smoked any since.

BTW I also agree that Iboga could probably help you. Go check out some Daniel Pinchbeck books, dude!

steppinRazor

cant stop wont stop
Veteran
i gotta 'commit' lozenge disolving in my mouth as we speak..
i wanna quit smoking but to tell the truth the only reason im using this thing is cuz im broke and outta cigs - had these things laying around.
giving me a nicotine buzz which is kinda unpleasnt but i could care less about a cig right now..

i just may put these things to use

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
you got neg rep for being a smartass punk.......thats what you are....
and by the way he neg repped me back with a note saying heres to your health.........really class act.

you bet I did bud,

everyone has an opinion and suggestions, just cuz you don't like it.....

either way, good luck on the quitting and hope it ends up working out for you.

if everyone got neg rep'd for being a smart ass I don't think anyone would have positive rep on here.

smart ass = telling you to stop buying the crutch you are trying to quit??? ok i'm a smart ass then.

I can live with that

side note/

why not switch brands or going with ultra lights? maybe a brand that you don't care for MIGHT help you slow the smokin as well?

ArcticBlast

It's like a goddamned Buick Regal
Veteran
i realized how much money i'd save NOT buying cigs, and just stopped buying them. the trick is to have really stingy friends who wont bum them to you lol

after 2-3 days, its easy...5th day you'll realize halfway throughout the day that you didn't even think about lighting up and you'll be amazed/proud!

either way, good luck... quitting cigs is a great idea for everybody, everywhere

ArcticBlast

There is also something called Ziban (i believe is how you spell it) it kind of works the same way as chantix but has been around for awhile. The way it works is you have to take it for two weeks, the first week you can smoke all you want, after that you have to stop but then again you also don't have the cravings too. Now i have personal believes that when you try to take something out of your life you have to replace it with another activity. The reason to this is habit, you get used to doing particular things, like smoking while driving, or after you eat. So what happens when you suddenly stop doing something you have been doing for years? You feel like you should do something else, normally.

I wish you best of luck and i can tell you that for some people just stopping buying them can help but usually for the ones that simply cannot stop buying cigs there is a core reason to why that person smokes in the first place. For me i know i smoke because of depression and other anxiety issues that I have, and quitting is also very hard for me because when i do stop it will only last for a day or two at the most before something sets me off or makes me incredibly depressed, and just smoking just about anything (weed or other tobacco related products) relaxes me. Anyway best of luck too you.

T

TrichyTrichy

Chewed nicorette all the time for about 6 months. Used a proggie which gave me the most current stats on my quit. silkquit.org

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
I inhaled mineral fibers on the job.

After I set fire to the 2nd oxygen hose I decided it was time to quit.

besides, all the blood I kept coughing up was just ruining the cool factor.

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
holy crap geo that sucks ass. I hope you're better now.

I've been thinking about quitting and have to agree with some of the folks that advised you to remove them by not purchasing and not being around others that smoke cigs. I had to quit when I entered boot camp and didn't think about them for 8 whole weeks. Upon my departure after training, I picked up a pack and have been smoking since (1/2 pack/day for 13 years). But I believe I can quit at any time as soon as I really really want to, and so can you. Replace the habbit with another thought and busy your hands. You can beat it if you want to. Best of luck!

Vigil

I've smoked for about ten years now and the amount of times I have tried to quit has to be entering triple digits. I am fine all week long but then comes the weekend and alcohol is my downfall. I can smoke weed and not need a victory cig but after a beer its like my buffer before I have another one. Everyone keeps telling me about these miracle pills, I am not a fan of meds made by man that arent treating life threating situations but I have been contemplating it lately. I'd say if you want to ideally quit cold turkey find your routine out, what "triggers" get you to smoke try to stay away from em. Stress is an obvious one weed and sex are great substitutes.... they should sell those in a 10$ pack(guess which state I live in!)

F

forsakenangel

Im on the same level as the first poster. My will to quit smoking is little. I actually enjoy the instant feeling i get from a puff off one. I smoke only a few drags at a time. My withdraw symptoms are extreme. One thing is everyones different some methods work for some and wont for others. I tried the patches got vivid dreams(cool crazy real life feeling dreams at first then after a few days I start to get restless) I have had people give such negative feedback on chantix but when i was on it with my willpower it was awesome. Took all my withdraw symptoms away and after a few weeks it starts to taste nasty when you take a drag. Kinda like when your a non smoker.I wasnt able to finish the script or else I know i truly would have quit i just wasnt able to do the full 3-6 months like the doctor recommends...its not cheap. Other people ive seen quit have done so by chewing gum,sucking on lollypops, smoke more mj in place of cigarettes(i typically smoke less when i am medicated.)

Really though try as many things as you can until you find something that will really help assist you in quitting. Try to think about your habits more. Why do you smoke? What do you love about smoking? When do you need to smoke? What routine do you normally follow as a smoker? Is it a social thing? What im getting at is find your patterns and try to approach it from that angle.

Personally since chantix is out of my reach on this next harvest im going to take a vacation and spend 3 weeks away from everyone but my family and medicate..i think i could get through the withdraws long enough to quit this way..stress is my biggest weakness with smoking but stress also causes me extreme pain and nausea because of my condition.

haze crazy

I like to say quitting is easy, I've done it many times!. It's really a mind over matter thing. first you must want to quit. Then just do it. If you think about it, people quit every time they put one out. After I stopped smoking the smell turned my stomach. One trick I used was to not smoke every time I had the urge. I'd skip every other one, then, when I did quit I already had some practice in denying myself a smoke. The first few days is usually the hardest, I'd become irritable and a bit antisocial during the withdrawal. When I'd think about smoking, I'd just remember that I don't smoke any more. Another helpful tool is to reward yourself each week you don't smoke. By that I mean put a certain amount of money each week into a hobby fund to spend on something you want. Maybe some good genetics!

My brother quit by going to a hypnotist, he never once looked back...

A change in environment really helps too. Finding other things to do instead of smoking. doing new things, a new book, visiting non-smoking friends, staying away from those friends who smoke for the first few months really helps too.

Never ever think you can have just one after you quit. Not even 14 years later! Trust me on this one. Every time I restarted smoking that was my mistake.

Here's a true story. Six years ago I was smoking a pack a day and had a girlfriend who did also. She was doing other things too...with other men. I was crazy about her and caught her in several lies but found it very hard to leave her (the awesome sex) and her messed up life. About the same time I wanted to quit smoking, So my Dr. (and friend) suggested acupuncture. So he placed these 3 thumbtack band-aid thingys in each ear and told me when I had the urge to smoke just to squeeze one of them. I decided one ear was for quitting smoking and the other was for leaving the witch. The first few days were the hardest (not that) but soon I associated the urge to smoke with this pain as well as the woman. It worked like a charm and to this day I cannot imagine how I ever loved that woman. I ran into her a year or so later and felt like I could not get away soon enough. But I digress...yet there are a lot of similarities here. Some time after you quit the smell will make you nauseated and you will want to just get away. BTW ...the sex was even better with the next woman LOL It's just a state of mind. GOOD LUCK

grouchy

I carried around a dugout and every time I was stressed I would take a little toke. I didn't get blazed but it helped take the edge off. To help out with the extra eating I started keeping a 2 liter of ice cold water. Whenever I got hungry I would chug till I was full. Both of those helped me quit. Four years in February!!!

By the way, when you buy cigarettes you pay for lobbyists to keep pot illegal.

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
holy crap geo that sucks ass. I hope you're better now.

Nah, fibers are for life. I can however run around without dying these days. I just can't run FAST without dying. Quitting smoking is hard, it's probably one of the hardest things I've done despite having a LOT of helpers when I quit.

Get support, tell people you hang around with you're quitting. If you don't get support you're probably going to fail.

I smoked for about 8 years and was just sick of the way i felt, tryin to smoke weed and cigis, to much ... i finally just said no matter how bad it gets im not buying them or smoking them, NO MATTER WHAT you have to stick to your own word, Dont give in no matter what excuse your brains trying to give you .. Sounds stupid but i used Sunflower seeds to take the edge off, gave me something to do so i could stop thinkin about smokin ... after a couple weeks you notice how bad they smell and it starts to get easier ... no matter what you use, nicorette, Seeds, Chantrix its all about a COMMITMENT to stop and sticking to it

3dDream

Matter that Appreciates Matter
Veteran
I quit by taking control of the habit. I slowing cut down my smokes, whatever I was comfortable doing at the time. I'd go from a pack a day for a month to 15 a day for a few weeks. Again it was my own pace, but I was controlling the pace. I was eventually at 1 cig at midnight for a month or so. I then started to skip days and finally quit. I regret I ever started. It stinks so bad and I breath so much easier. My friends that still smoke sound like darth vader @ 10 feet.

BTW cig addiction takes place in the same part of the brain you use to balance on a bike. It's subconscious and you have no control. Keep that in mind. Be rational.

Good luck! It takes the average make 10 tries. I would also suggest you switch smokes right away. Get something like american spirits. I bet the brand you smoke now has 100+ chemicals that are there to make the addiction worse.