What's new

How did you decide on a career or other long-term form of employment?

Rob547

East Coast Grower
Veteran
Nice to see this thread revived, I appreciate all the sincere comments! Pretty baked right now so this may take a bit to write out.. :smoke:

Sticky Green thanks for the reply. Good strategy for sure. I'll have to check that video link too, I watch a lot of the TED talks.

Oh and since this thread started I've looked into some free online college horticulture classes. Just a simple google search brings up tons of info an links for free courses. This one place offers classes instructed around the goal of passing some CEPT exam, essentially an exam proving you are sufficient enough to not take a college class, and gives you credits that transfer to most colleges in US. Not really 100% about details, I have a degree so more interested in the classes and info. (Education Portal) for anyone wondering.

Red Fang

Veteran
how did I never see this thread yet? I am in the same boat but older, I still have no idea but know I would rather do something I love than something I am not good at and it shows and I am doing it just for the money until they can me. Do what you love man! I hope we both find answers on our journey.

Rob547

East Coast Grower
Veteran
I've had over 50 jobs and I'm only 41 :)

Though I wouldn't have signed up for that many jobs and it's paid quite a bit less than a 'career' would have... there are distinct benefits to be gained.

I have a MUCH more complex view of the world than most people. I've worked in just about every industry from customer service to food processing to R&D. Most people can't see past the packaging on an item, I see sourcing, marketing, logistics and everything else that brought it to you.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

For sure Hydro. I definitely notice that a lot with any new job, a lot of things are just outside our general perception. If you have never been ie. janitor, mover, dishwasher, waiter, construction worker etc etc, you never really know what goes into things people take for granted. A big reason I try and tip waiters and delivery drivers well ;)

Over the past 10 years I've had a LOT of jobs, summer jobs and whatnot but nothing really to exciting, and perhaps more importantly (mentally) challenging. Still working on that one..

I thought I wanted to be a social studies teacher in High School...

...but, I ended up teaching metal casting to noobs, in a foundry...40 years..View Image

Haha yeah I've always thought it interesting how people end up where they are ya know. My buddy is like that; went to school for business management and food/beverage, now works doing tree climbing as a landscaper and LOVES it.

Rob547

East Coast Grower
Veteran
On a related side note,I recently read about a program that is training folks for skilled,well paying manufacturing jobs,even those with checkered pasts and such.Its called the M.O.S.T program and its tied into a show that was on television with John Ratzenberg(sp?) the mailman from Cheers.

Thought it was worth mentioning

I'll check that out. In my state there has been lots of news lately about the manufacturing industry mismatch. As in, most people in the industry are older - lots of experience but not necessarily and official training/education as well as current day computer technology and whatnot. While nowadays, no one pursues manufacturing as a career because of poor image of the industry (factories/metal shops or whatever), they in turn have the education and more importantly the technological know-how but pursue things like engineering degrees and whatever else.
But the point I'm making is that its one of those industries/careers that is just quick training and then you can start an entry level job and go from there. Its even gotten to the point around here where some employers will pay for your training and you start even from that point,

Personally I have no knowledge of, or even know anyone involved in the industry at all, so not sure if I would really be interested in it. Jobs are like CMH machinist, if that means anything to anyone??

I'll check that out. In my state there has been lots of news lately about the manufacturing industry mismatch. As in, most people in the industry are older - lots of experience but not necessarily and official training/education as well as current day computer technology and whatnot. While nowadays, no one pursues manufacturing as a career because of poor image of the industry (factories/metal shops or whatever), they in turn have the education and more importantly the technological know-how but pursue things like engineering degrees and whatever else.
But the point I'm making is that its one of those industries/careers that is just quick training and then you can start an entry level job and go from there. Its even gotten to the point around here where some employers will pay for your training and you start even from that point,

Personally I have no knowledge of, or even know anyone involved in the industry at all, so not sure if I would really be interested in it. Jobs are like CMH machinist, if that means anything to anyone??

Absolutely,its worth investigating.I've heard of CNC machining,I'll have to look up CMH to see what that is.Manufacturing does/did have and get a bad rap,but the fact is that its the backbone of this nation and is probably one of the best indicators of a true economic recovery.

Short of a 4 year degree,I don't think there are many jobs that pay as well with minimal training.The fields are so varied and possibilities limitless as to what type of manufacturing you could be involved in.Once in with a decent company,furthering your education (company paid many times) is still a distinct possibility ...and you're still earning a paycheck in the process.

The other advantage I see is that the trade/skill learned is highly portable,...welding,machinist, electrician etc can be taken anywhere in the country,the world in fact,wherever a demand is.Nothing like a change of scenery at times to boost morale,especially if the weather is nice or it happens to be near a favorite activity....open the mind and things will become clearer as to what path to take.

I know the perfect symbiosis would be lots of money doing what you love,but if starting over again,I'd definitely take a good wage doing something that satisfied my need to be a part of something significant over :tumbleweed: straight up love of what I do(if its not available or I don't know what "it" is)

Good luck young buck ..the answers will come of their own accord,in due time.

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
i started in sales..
100% commission. i hated the idea of someone else dictating my worth. with sales i wrote my own paycheck.
later i found land surveying. it became more of a hobby than a profession but a hobby that pays well.
i get to be outdoors and play detective. i get to scour old GLO/BLM field notes(antebellum)then try to trace those footsteps and find the evidence they left.
the horses are my wife's passion but as with all things wife i get to be a strong back and a weak mind ;)

Hank Hemp

Veteran
i started in sales..
100% commission. i hated the idea of someone else dictating my worth. with sales i wrote my own paycheck.
later i found land surveying. it became more of a hobby than a profession but a hobby that pays well.
i get to be outdoors and play detective. i get to scour old GLO/BLM field notes(antebellum)then try to trace those footsteps and find the evidence they left.
the horses are my wife's passion but as with all things wife i get to be a strong back and a weak mind ;)

I once had a call that called for a 42" chestnut tree. Think we found that corner? I loved land surveying. Found it in my 50's. But I liked it a lot.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have a BA in political science too. It was either teach or law school. If I wanted to use the degree.

My grandfather was in the oilfield, my father is in the oilfield, so I have oil in my blood. The choice was easy since I was sick of school and wanted to make money. Get into the oilfield.

Never looked back and am loving every minute of it.

doublejj

Veteran
Not kidding!

Not kidding!

Once I decided that hard work didn't bother me, & I could watch it all day long, I got a job in supervision!

doublejj

I wasn't kidding!
I took an entry level job in a field that was all "hard work" & "strong backs", and realized that there were lots of strong guys working around me. So I started taking 'Business Mgt' classes at night earned a BA.
Who do you think got promotions? I was 'Supervisor' within one year and 'Superintendent' within 5.
The last 20 years have been easy for me, but lots of hard work!
I get paid to watch it all day long!
Find a job where everyone has to work hard & be 'the educated one'
Good luck
doublejj

supermanlives

Veteran
the weed scene found me . everywhere i go people ask me for weed . so one day i gave in too fate and made them all happy

floralheart

Veteran
I just don't understand how people just get up one day and say 'Ok I'll do this for the next... 20-40-50 years' HELP!
:Bolt:

Because you love doing it, you're good at it, and you like the people because they feel like family. And the money is good.

Latest posts

Latest posts