What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How big of a mini split for 6k room

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
anyone? also buy them on ebay? best brand? im clueless on them. any help is appreciated... would also like to self install if possible....

P

popdog

24000 btu will do it. I would recommending air cooling the hoods also, as it will be easier to keep cool. I believe an 18000 will do if its air cooled. Make sure your unit has low ambient design so it will work in the winter if need be. Anyone agree on my numbers?

drymouth

24,500btu Fridritch mini split is what I was going to get for my 6 lighter. I've been reading 4000btu per light is what others are doing with great results.

250wscrogger

For 6kw (non aircooled hoods) I would go with a 2 ton...

For 6kw with aircooled hoods a 1.5 ton should be plenty.

Try to get one with DC inverter technology (auto adjusts compressor speed for max efficiency)

Mitsubishi mr slim is a good one...

P

popdog

does the mr. slim work in low ambient temps? Have heard good things about the slims. I would personally go with the fredrich, but both are going to do the job. make sure you know what temp it will work down to when making your decision. Good luck.

240 volts? Yes sir.

Mr Slim operates down to 0*F according to Mitsu specs, and I've heard anecdotal evidence of them doing fine even in negative temperatures. I'll find out next January. It gets cooooold here.

Phillthy

Seven-Thirty
ICMag Donor
Veteran
2 ton (24k btu) as the minimum it will run constantly for 6 k. mount it as high on the wall as possible. on 90 degree days it will struggle.

PoopyTeaBags

Veteran
Itsll be air coolled hoods... the problem im running into is we are maxed on power... im taking out a 12kbtu portable thats about 12amps.... so itll free up amperage but if its too big of a/c ill have to take out lights in the summer... and then i wont even need that big of a a/c... .so im gonna go with the 1 1/2 ton cause i may still have to take off some lights even with that....

PoopyTeaBags

Veteran
Min. Circuit Ampacity: 15 A
Max. Overcurrent Protection: 20 A

does this mean i need to dedicate 20a to this unit? i think i only have 60a total and i have to stay under 80% so thats 48a i have to play with... 20amps just for a/c leaves me with shit to work with.... can barely run the 6k on that and thats not including any pumps chillers or fans.... or dehumidifiers....

lime6161

A tip for Mr Slim in cold weather.

The codonsate line if installed to the outside will most likely freeze in the winter. I had to use heat tape on mine. Make sure the roof snow will be clear of the unit. Mr slim does not work well when buried in a snow bank.

Mitsu also sells a cold weather/wind baffle type shield that works ok.

T

THriveCompany

could i install a mini in my attic which has lots of air exchange and cool the room under the attic..?

louie

Nice thread. So I was checking out Mr.Slims and man there are a lot of different versions of them and they get expensive! If I was going to use it in the winter would I have to get one that heats too or could I go with one that is cooling only?

T

tuinman

could i install a mini in my attic which has lots of air exchange and cool the room under the attic..?

You certainly can, but if your attic gets really hot the efficiency of the condenser unit is going to drop. The unit itself is pulling heat from the room below, so this will all need to be exchanged out of your attic.

T

tuinman

Nice thread. So I was checking out Mr.Slims and man there are a lot of different versions of them and they get expensive! If I was going to use it in the winter would I have to get one that heats too or could I go with one that is cooling only?

You're wanting a unit with an inverter. The inverter units are generally more expensive, and/or are labeled as a heat pump. Most that are cooling only tend to be (in my experience) listed as cooling only.

Yes, get the heat pump model if you want to run in the winter.

Also, placing the condenser in your attic is a bad idea. It will struggle in the summer time.