What's new

how are you guys pumping water out the bottom of your reservoirs?

T

TREE KING

im doin hydro ebb n flow with 100 gal reservoirs and i need to find a better way to pump water out through the bottom of the res. i previously drilled a hole in the bottom and hooked up this connection. (picture in this post). one of them is workin but another one of them started leaking last night. does someone have a better idea of something i can do instead? it doesnt matter if its a garden hose or a wide vinyl tubing that connects to it but i want to find a way to put some kind of pump in the bathtub then hook up a 20 ft hose to the res and then have the pump pull the water out into the tub. im not familar with a type of pump that pulls water instead of pushing it so im hoping you guys can tell me what i need. i also want a switch to turn it on and off so i can leave the hose in at all times. what do you guys think?

Attachments

• 000_0193.jpg
    000_0193.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 6

Snype

Veteran
im doin hydro ebb n flow with 100 gal reservoirs and i need to find a better way to pump water out through the bottom of the res. i previously drilled a hole in the bottom and hooked up this connection. (picture in this post). one of them is workin but another one of them started leaking last night. does someone have a better idea of something i can do instead? it doesnt matter if its a garden hose or a wide vinyl tubing that connects to it but i want to find a way to put some kind of pump in the bathtub then hook up a 20 ft hose to the res and then have the pump pull the water out into the tub. im not familar with a type of pump that pulls water instead of pushing it so im hoping you guys can tell me what i need. i also want a switch to turn it on and off so i can leave the hose in at all times. what do you guys think?

Danner pumps can be run in-line without having to submerge the pump. I use Danner Supreme Classic Model 7 which is 700 GPH but they make many models. All Supreme Classic pumps can be used in-line or submerged. For the the last of the solution out of the bottom of the rez, I use a Wet Vac.

T

TREE KING

Danner pumps can be run in-line without having to submerge the pump. I use Danner Supreme Classic Model 7 which is 700 GPH but they make many models. All Supreme Classic pumps can be used in-line or submerged. For the the last of the solution out of the bottom of the rez, I use a Wet Vac.

do you know a place i can buy these in person?

what exactly does it able you to connect? half inch vinyl tubing or garden hose?

Last edited:
T

TREE KING

i just called a place online to talk to them about this and i need to get the Danner Mag-Drive Supreme 18 1800 GPH Pump. one thing im confused about is why do you need a shop vac if it pulls the water instead of pushing it? cant you just stick the hose in thats attached to the pump and suck it out right to the tub/sink?

Last edited:

Snype

Veteran
i just called a place online to talk to them about this and i need to get the Danner Mag-Drive Supreme 18 1800 GPH Pump. one thing im confused about is why do you need a shop vac if it pulls the water instead of pushing it? cant you just stick the hose in thats attached to the pump and suck it out right to the tub/sink?

That would be a very large pump to only pump 100 Gallons. Not sure why you would want a pump so large for what you are using it for. The Shop Vac is to get what the pump doesn't get. It really depends where you actually put your fitting in. If you are a floor above and instal the finning on the actual bottom of the rez then you wouldn't need a shop vac but if you are installing the fitting on the side bottom of the REZ then it won't be able to get all the water and you can use a shop vac to get the rest. I think the guy that you talked to in the store doesn't understand that All Danner Surpreme pumps are Mag Drive and they all can be run In-Line. An 1800 GPH pump for 100 Gallon Rez is pretty crazy. 700 GPH would really be all you need and you could even go smaller. You can instal 1/2" PVC male adaptor fitting right to your pump.

T

TREE KING

That would be a very large pump to only pump 100 Gallons. Not sure why you would want a pump so large for what you are using it for. The Shop Vac is to get what the pump doesn't get. It really depends where you actually put your fitting in. If you are a floor above and instal the finning on the actual bottom of the rez then you wouldn't need a shop vac but if you are installing the fitting on the side bottom of the REZ then it won't be able to get all the water and you can use a shop vac to get the rest. I think the guy that you talked to in the store doesn't understand that All Danner Surpreme pumps are Mag Drive and they all can be run In-Line. An 1800 GPH pump for 100 Gallon Rez is pretty crazy. 700 GPH would really be all you need and you could even go smaller. You can instal 1/2" PVC male adaptor fitting right to your pump.

your mostly right but you have to take into account that theres some friction with the elbow connection plus the water is traveling 25 ft. i just talked to a person at an aquatic place on the phone that really knows there stuff. they did calculations on friction and length of travel for the water and they said your 700 gal pump will work good to empty the res in 10 minutes. seems kind of small though im gonna get the 900 gph instead and if the water builds up in the tub then i can just close the switch a little on the elbow. im also buying adapters for 1/2 and 3/4" vinyl tubing just incase cause i still need to figure out what im gonna instal in the res to fix this leak plus drain it properly. i currently have a garden hose thats female on both sides thats 1" diameter and id rather drain it with this.

theres i chance i can still use this elbow with garden hose connection i have but i gotta reput it in and test it out. i have another one that works in another res so maybe i just didnt tighten it correctly. id still like to find out what other people are doing just incase i need to try this another easier way

Snype

Veteran
your mostly right but you have to take into account that theres some friction with the elbow connection plus the water is traveling 25 ft. i just talked to a person at an aquatic place on the phone that really knows there stuff. they did calculations on friction and length of travel for the water and they said your 700 gal pump will work good to empty the res in 10 minutes. seems kind of small though im gonna get the 900 gph instead and if the water builds up in the tub then i can just close the switch a little on the elbow. im also buying adapters for 1/2 and 3/4" vinyl tubing just incase cause i still need to figure out what im gonna instal in the res to fix this leak plus drain it properly. i currently have a garden hose thats female on both sides thats 1" diameter and id rather drain it with this.

theres i chance i can still use this elbow with garden hose connection i have but i gotta reput it in and test it out. i have another one that works in another res so maybe i just didnt tighten it correctly. id still like to find out what other people are doing just incase i need to try this another easier way

20 feet is not a lot of distance and an elbow is not that much friction if it's only a couple. You are only talking about emptying your REZ, not running some sort of system. This is the pieces that you can screw into the Danner pumps that you can buy at Home Depot:
picture.php
picture.php

You can screw these onto your Danner pump while using teflon tape so you don't get any leaks. You can also use attach a brass fitting right to these pieces and go right to a hose attachment as well. Go to home depot and look at all the Brass and PVC fittings and you will find many ways to do your project.

T

TREE KING

does that piece extend the pump from 3/4" to 1"? the lady on the phone said it was a 3/4" connection. i guess there would be a female piece sticking out of the pump if its dont that way. i was thinking about doin it another way but i guess that would work i just gotta screw the male part of the hose in. i know i said both sides were female but thats only because i got an adapter and made it that way just gotta take it off

Snype

Veteran
does that piece extend the pump from 3/4" to 1"? the lady on the phone said it was a 3/4" connection. i guess there would be a female piece sticking out of the pump if its dont that way. i was thinking about doin it another way but i guess that would work i just gotta screw the male part of the hose in. i know i said both sides were female but thats only because i got an adapter and made it that way just gotta take it off

The size of the fitting depends on the size of the pump. The model 7 uses 1/2". You are over thinking all of this. The pump has 2 places to put fittings. One where the water is going to come in and one where the water is going to come out. You said the pump won't be in your REZ. Where the water comes in, you will need a male fitting. Where the water comes out you will need a female fitting. If you want lager ones, then you add those on top of the first fittings that you are going to use. It's very simple. If you bring the pump to home depot, you will easily figure it all out.

T

TREE KING

im not worried about where the water comes out cause the pump will be in the tub. your right il figure it out at home depot mines a 3/4" connection. thanks for the info

Snype

Veteran
im not worried about where the water comes out cause the pump will be in the tub. your right il figure it out at home depot mines a 3/4" connection. thanks for the info

Here's your problem, the further away that you put the pump, the harder it will be for your pump to turn on and actually work. Water has to be at the pump when you turn it on. It does not suck air in the hose and get you the water by itself. That is why it's better for you to get a smaller pump and put it in the REZ when you want to drain it. The smaller pump that you get, the more water that you will be able to get out of the REZ because of how most pumps work. If you put a big pump in the REZ, it won't be able get the last couple inches of water in the rez. That's why I use a Wet Vac at the end.

When you place the pump into the empty bath tub and turn it on, it won't be able to get the water from the REZ because there will be air in your hose. Air in the hose will eventually brake the pump. Keep all this in mind.

T

TREE KING

why do you think i was tryin to get an extra big pump.

first post " i want to find a way to put some kind of pump in the bathtub then hook up a 20 ft hose to the res and then have the pump pull the water out into the tub."

i explained real clearly what i was tryin to do its too late now i already ordered it. the lady on the phone said it would work i guess we'll see what happens.

Last edited:

Snype

Veteran
why do you think i was tryin to get an extra big pump. i explained real clearly what i was tryin to do and now your sayin this after i already ordered the pump. the lady on the phone said it would work i guess we'll see what happens

I tried to tell you to not get that big pump. If I was in your position, I would have got the model 5 or the model 7. I would place the pump right next to the REZ on the floor. The whole in the side bottom of the REZ would be a 1" boiler drain adapter that I steal from Home Depot. They don't sell them there but if you go to the section where they sell some sort of some sort of run-off piece for boilers, they have a 1" boiler drain PVC adapter that is attached by a zip tie. I just cut off the zip tie and pocket the 1" PVC piece. It screws right into your hole on the bottom side of the REZ. Now I would get a 1"-1/2 reducer to reduce the fitting to the same size as the Model 7 pump. Then I would get a male adapter and a piece of 1/2" pvc pipe and cement it all together and screw in the pump. Now your REZ is attached right to the pump and the pump is right next to your REZ and stays there forever.

Now on the top of the pump, you put in a female adapter and whatever else you want to put so you can either run a hose to your bathtub or run PVC to the drain line of the house.

To me, it is much easier to just place the pump in the REZ every time you want to change it out. Regardless of how you do this, there will still be water left in the REZ at the end unless the hole on the rez is actually below the rez itself on the bottom which would have to go through the floor or you would have to raise the REZ which I do not think you have done.

Some IC Mag members put a pump in the REZ and attach an elbow fitting so that the hole points down into the bottom of the water to suck it all up from the most bottom that they can get it. That might actually be a better idea for you. In that case you would have the pump in the REZ and where the pump sucks up water, you would use a male adapter that went into and elbow that you pointed to the floor of the rez to suck it all up. That's another idea.

T

TREE KING

thats exactly what i did. i raised the res and its sitting on wood. i drilled a hole through the floor of the res.

"Some IC Mag members put a pump in the REZ and attach an elbow fitting so that the hole points down into the bottom of the water to suck it all up from the most bottom that they can get it. That might actually be a better idea for you. In that case you would have the pump in the REZ and where the pump sucks up water, you would use a male adapter that went into and elbow that you pointed to the floor of the rez to suck it all up. That's another idea."

fuck! this sucks that was what i was tryin to accomplish this whole time i didnt realize there was a way to do this. im just sick of pumping the water out of the res and then have another 6 inches of water there. then i gotta vacuum that out and pour the water into a bucket to pump it out.

please tell me you know a way to seal the hole i made in the bottom of the res?? its like 1" big. id like to cancel this whole shit and do what you said in the last paragraph.

Snype

Veteran
thats exactly what i did. i raised the res and its sitting on wood. i drilled a hole through the floor of the res.

"Some IC Mag members put a pump in the REZ and attach an elbow fitting so that the hole points down into the bottom of the water to suck it all up from the most bottom that they can get it. That might actually be a better idea for you. In that case you would have the pump in the REZ and where the pump sucks up water, you would use a male adapter that went into and elbow that you pointed to the floor of the rez to suck it all up. That's another idea."

fuck! this sucks that was what i was tryin to accomplish this whole time i didnt realize there was a way to do this. im just sick of pumping the water out of the res and then have another 6 inches of water there. then i gotta vacuum that out and pour the water into a bucket to pump it out.

please tell me you know a way to seal the hole i made in the bottom of the res?? its like 1" big. id like to cancel this whole shit and do what you said in the last paragraph.

Yeah you can seal that hole when you dry out the rez. I don't know the name of what it's called but you can buy it at home depot and it's 2 bottles of some sort of paste. It might be called apoxy (spelling is off). When you add them together you scrape it where your hole is and smooth it out as best you can. After that it dries and it's like the hard plastic on those white rez's. I've had to use it a few times in the past and it works real good. Maybe another member will chime in on the name of the product.

On another note though if you do have your REZ's raised then you should have no problem with what you wanted to do the first time around. If you did want to put the pump in the tub it would work if the rez and hose where higher than the tub. Like if your grow was on a floor above the bathroom. If you tried to go 20 feet from the same floor though it would be more difficult because of the air in the line. I have this problem all the time.

But yeah, I think the best idea is the new one in the last paragraph. You would still have some water in the Rez but it shouldn't be much.

T

TREE KING

yeah id rather seal the hole cause then i wouldnt have to worry about leaks i just only wanna have very little water left in the res after i pump it out. plus i can get rid of the wood. fuck i wish you knew the name of that paste i need to pick that up tomorrow. i guess i had to buy that danner pump anyway cause i can aim where to pick up water from. appreciate the help

if anyone knows the name of this paste can you please post?

rangergord

Interesting thread. Been grappling with similar issues. The glue is called epoxy. It comes in quick cure and regular cure times. I think the Danner mag drive pumps are great but Ecoplus pumps are very similar for a fraction of the price. They also have a threaded intake that can be modified in similar fashion. Thanks for the idea of the elbow on the intake at the bottom of the res.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
You could just put a bulkhead fitting in that hole then screw a plug into it. Then the option is there if you ever want to use that for a drain on some later date.