What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How are nugs this dense produced?

GTEED

The attached photos are an example of the structure of nugs that I am wondering about. I know the looks of these nugs may not be for everyone, but I interested in having one strain that can produce these really dense nugs. The problem is I am not sure how to go about producing nugs like these. I have been told its strain dependent. This makes sense, but what strains can I try to find to get this? I have heard its trimming. This doesnt quite make total sense to me. In my opinion no matter how much leafy material you remove if the nugs are not thick and tight then they wont be like these in the photo. The nugs I am refering to really do not have much fluf to them. You can pench them and the will compress, but you can totally tell they are really dense. I am not sure if you took a big nug and trimmed tons of leaf material away that it would replicate the nugs similar to the photos. I believe the nugs are just not leafy in the first place. There are some nugs similar to these that are kind of foxtail like, but the are still dense and thick without alot of leafy material. Usually covered quite well in trichomes. Does anyone know what it is that produces these dense nugs? Can anyone direct me to some strains to try, some light technique, nutrients, or how ever they are produced. I would love to know. Its Bathsaltz by LITFarms genetics. What I am wondering is If i were purchase this same strain would I end up with similar nugs? What would I need to do to help replicate them? Dont get me wrong I dont find this nug structure any better or worse vs other nug structures. Its just something that I would like to have one plant produce along with some other nug structures and terp profiles. Variety is the spice of life. Let me know.
LIT-Dense nugs1.png
LIT-Dense nugs2.png
LIT-Dense nugs3.png
LIT-Dense nugs4.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Asentrouw

Some indica's produce quite thight nugs, especially if they get enough light.

But these looks more like you just need to buy a vacuumpacker. Those buds look vacuumed (compressed) to me.

Reactions: Cvh

weedobix

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes, its down to the genetics. You just need to grow them out properly like any other plant, like the one in the pic, various hybrids of cookies like gelato, mints, cake and such often carry this trait.

PoorDad

More light is one way to get higher density flowers.

Plants grown under less than ideal lighting intensity will produce lower density flowers.

Plants grown under very intense lighting will produce higher density buds. Just have to watch them every day and be sure they aren't getting burned. Learn what sunburn and light burn looks like. (wrinkled and blistered, bumpy skin on surface of leaves) Learn how to grow a strong plant that can handle that much light. (silicon and potassium during veg) Learn what to watch for early so you can adjust if the plants show signs of stress. (burning tips, curling leaves, cupping leaves and leaves pointed upwards) Leaves will try to get small... meaning they will turn, cup or angle to reduce their flat exposed leaf surface to the light. A leaf pointing straight up at a light is absorbing LESS light than a leaf that's flat out and horizontal because of the total surface area that's actually exposed. Yellow tips are a sign of a lot of different issues. One issue that causes yellow tips on the leaves is too much light. It could be something else or it could be high lighting.

Lighting is a balancing act.

You can make a plant stretch and lengthen by moving lights away. You can make a plant grow short and bushy by keeping lights very close. You can actually manipulate the size and node spacing of a plant by how close you keep the lights when they are seedlings.

FletchF.Fletch

420club
Big grows separate Nugs according to size, structure, and density. It's a grading system where very little if anything gets wasted. Almost everything sees the trim machines.

Vacuum packing tends to distort the shape.

Genetics are the key factor, then Environment, then Processing.

Cool thread.