What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hosting a VT Cannabis Cup/Gene Trading Events

mowood3479

Veteran
I like the idea of meet-up/genetics trade. Maybe a little further than I’d want to travel more than once a month.

I do think the idea of a cup 4 times a year is overkill. Maybe split up the categories you mentioned over 4 separate events, but all those categories, 4 times a year in a state with a population of 600,000 will be a stretch.

Mowood tell me about that sweet island skunk. Has the cut been around a while? We used to get zips of sweet island skunk around 2010 that was up there with some of the best weed I ever smoked.

It’s mass super skunk x silver haze (if I recall correctly)
This cuts Been around awhile 15 years or so that I’ve known people running it.
Yields nice. Done at 60 days but the high is a little racy for my tastes.. I had an intense anxiety session the other day after testing out some rosin I made from it..
Some people love it... people that are into haze and whatnot

yardgrazer

Where is this Gene Trading supposed to be held at? Rutland? When?... I tried to read this thread but I didn't really get the details... As far as Drugs go - I've done just about all of them. I've drank my share of Booze and smoked my share of tobacco too. I haven't had a drink or drug since 2002. Weed smoking & growing is part of my recovery - it helped quit tobacco, alcohol & the prescription drugs that the Doctors were feeding Me...

I don't think there've been any dates suggested, OP was just letting people know about a plan for the future.

HerbChambers

It’s mass super skunk x silver haze (if I recall correctly)
This cuts Been around awhile 15 years or so that I’ve known people running it.
Yields nice. Done at 60 days but the high is a little racy for my tastes.. I had an intense anxiety session the other day after testing out some rosin I made from it..
Some people love it... people that are into haze and whatnot

That sounds like it could be the same one I tried years ago. If this event ever happens I’m sure I’ve got something you might be into trading for.

CimbaKat

Where is this Gene Trading supposed to be held at? Rutland? When?... I tried to read this thread but I didn't really get the details... As far as Drugs go - I've done just about all of them. I've drank my share of Booze and smoked my share of tobacco too. I haven't had a drink or drug since 2002. Weed smoking & growing is part of my recovery - it helped quit tobacco, alcohol & the prescription drugs that the Doctors were feeding Me...

Hey, sorry this post is bcoming silly because i was trying to defend drug addicts lol... ended up somehow causing a native vs non native conflict.. noy even sure if they mean native american or vermonter... dont understand the hostility.. doeant matter, twas a mistake to try to have this conversation via the internet... should've stuck to the script, which is the gene trading event for VT

Anywway.... Im the OP. Id host the event at our property in Rutland, we have a store front outside the city in the farmland which would be great for hosting events. Theres no set time, date, or anything at the moment. Im sending out feelers to see if enough people are intrested or if theyre not. Aeems to be a few interested.. we'll see what we can come up with.. i guess anyone whos interested private message me.. and we'll go from there.

HerbChambers

Hey, sorry this post is bcoming silly because i was trying to defend drug addicts lol... ended up somehow causing a native vs non native conflict.. noy even sure if they mean native american or vermonter... dont understand the hostility.. doeant matter, twas a mistake to try to have this conversation via the internet... should've stuck to the script, which is the gene trading event for VT

Anywway.... Im the OP. Id host the event at our property in Rutland, we have a store front outside the city in the farmland which would be great for hosting events. Theres no set time, date, or anything at the moment. Im sending out feelers to see if enough people are intrested or if theyre not. Aeems to be a few interested.. we'll see what we can come up with.. i guess anyone whos interested private message me.. and we'll go from there.

i don't have enough posts to send private messages...but i'm interested

CimbaKat

i don't have enough posts to send private messages...but i'm interested
Word. Ok im trying formulate a more thorough idea for the gene trading event... get us all on the same page.. more logistics and what not (not the cup). Imo Gene trading event first, have a few meet ups, then we can start planning a cup if we have a core group established.

I guess if youre interested, post seeds, and plants that you'd like to trade, what youre looking for, preference (indica/sativa/hybrid)? And go from there..

I was thinking it might be cool to have an attendance list and strain list for the trade group... and we hand it out at every meeting/email it before hand. Maybe we can do an "inventory for requests", for instance, Joe Schmoe has OG Kush that 5 people would want to trade for, so Joe Schmoe is notified of the requests through the email list and now he knows to bring minimum 5 cuttings of his OG Kush. Make sense?

Maybe a template like:
Available Cuts/Seeds:
Looking for (specific strain(s)):
Preference (sativa/indica/hybrid):
Do you need it for Indoor/outdoor/greenhouse:

Id want everything to be within state law.. we dont need any nonsense happening.. the goal is to create a cannabis community that will continue to be here for years to come, we don't need it getting derailed before we're established. I have a few questions that other people may have more knowledge on. VT Cannabis cultivation law reads as follows:

"Cultivation
As of July 1, 2018, adult cultivation in private of up to six marijuana plants (two mature and up to four immature) is no longer punishable by a criminal or civil penalty. Those who cultivate marijuana for their own personal use may possess at home the total quantity of their harvest.

See

Vermont H.511 (2018) Read bill
Cultivation of 3-10 plants is a felony punishable by a maximum sentence of 3 years imprisonment and a maximum fine of $10,000.

Cultivation of 11-25 plants is a felony punishable by a maximum sentence of 5 years imprisonment and a maximum fine of $100,000.

Cultivation of more than 25 plants is a felony punishable by a maximum sentence of 15 years imprisonment and a maximum fine of $500,000."

They dont cover clones and cuttings in the law.. however, i imagine a clone is an immature plant as its rooted, however are cuttings included in this 4 immature, 2 mature law? A cutting is not a rooted plant so how could it be an immature plant, correct? Its simply a piece of vegetation. Im Just trying to figure out logistics so no one accidently gets in trouble. Ive often wondered about this as well for mailing cuts... tehcnically a cut contains negligible levels of cannabinoids so isnt any cutting legally hemp until its been rooted as a clone and flipped to flower where it begins expressing its cannabinoid make up, then it is cannabis? Anyone care to chime in? We know its a cannabis cut but legally speaking wouldnt this cut be considered hemp due to its .03% D9THC...? On top of it not being immature no mature, mearly vegetative growth thats been removed. Correct me if im wrong.

As for me, atm i dont have any cuts, im running autos but i have a massive seed stock and am in the process of trying to get some hemp clones to veg into moms. Our room is set for autos which im growing tired of doing lol. I want stable meds not random phenos off autos that ill never have again, theyre cool though..

HerbChambers

Id want everything to be within state law.. we dont need any nonsense happening.. the goal is to create a cannabis community that will continue to be here for years to come, we don't need it getting derailed before we're established. I have a few questions that other people may have more knowledge on. VT Cannabis cultivation law reads as follows:

"Cultivation
As of July 1, 2018, adult cultivation in private of up to six marijuana plants (two mature and up to four immature) is no longer punishable by a criminal or civil penalty. Those who cultivate marijuana for their own personal use may possess at home the total quantity of their harvest.

See

Vermont H.511 (2018) Read bill
Cultivation of 3-10 plants is a felony punishable by a maximum sentence of 3 years imprisonment and a maximum fine of $10,000.

Cultivation of 11-25 plants is a felony punishable by a maximum sentence of 5 years imprisonment and a maximum fine of $100,000.

Cultivation of more than 25 plants is a felony punishable by a maximum sentence of 15 years imprisonment and a maximum fine of $500,000."

They dont cover clones and cuttings in the law.. however, i imagine a clone is an immature plant as its rooted, however are cuttings included in this 4 immature, 2 mature law? A cutting is not a rooted plant so how could it be an immature plant, correct? Its simply a piece of vegetation. Im Just trying to figure out logistics so no one accidently gets in trouble. Ive often wondered about this as well for mailing cuts... tehcnically a cut contains negligible levels of cannabinoids so isnt any cutting legally hemp until its been rooted as a clone and flipped to flower where it begins expressing its cannabinoid make up, then it is cannabis? Anyone care to chime in? We know its a cannabis cut but legally speaking wouldnt this cut be considered hemp due to its .03% D9THC...? On top of it not being immature no mature, mearly vegetative growth thats been removed. Correct me if im wrong.

As for me, atm i dont have any cuts, im running autos but i have a massive seed stock and am in the process of trying to get some hemp clones to veg into moms. Our room is set for autos which im growing tired of doing lol. I want stable meds not random phenos off autos that ill never have again, theyre cool though..

I'm not a lawyer, but i do know that VT LEOs take marijuana violations pretty seriously. I'm pretty sure they would count any of your unrooted cuts as an immature plant. Maybe your hemp argument would work, but don't hemp growers have to be registered with the state?

yardgrazer

Leaning toward agreeing with Herb - there are arguments both ways, and there's what a court ultimately finds, those are different things.

If it were me I think I'd try arguing that an unrooted cut isn't a plant, it's akin to flower or even a seed (it's vegetative material). It was awhile back but I read an article months ago about some of those "buy an expensive t-shirt, get gifted flower" operations that were briefly running and got the sense the state was viewing seeds as akin to flower, i.e. up to a certain weight is legal to possess or trade/give-away (but not sell).

LEO would no doubt argue an unrooted cut is a plant. Curious how the genetics swap HeadyVT said they were going to have a few months ago went, and was it just seeds or seeds and cuts?

One thing I find interesting about the state law - sections about plant numbers are focused on female plants. Do male plants not count toward the 2/6?

Last edited:

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Once you get to that point with lawyers and LEO it's just a big expensive pain.

radioman

I wouldn't worry about the cops anymore - unless You are dealing with children, driving high or flaunting weed in public. I grew 40 female (unseeded) plants this year & about a dozen seeded plants - all for personal use. I hand pollinated 2 strains I bought off a former vendor here at Icmag & the other strain is the Dutch Passion strain I bought off Gyspy in 2002 (yes I have somehow kept it going all these years). Although I may not be physically attend a Gene Swap - I would gladly donate some of these freshly made seeds for gifting...

E

ESTERCHASER

plenty of genetic trading going on above montpeculiar, just ask and if its poss we can help!

GreenMt

This sounds like a great idea - I’ve been traveling to “weed farmers markets” for lack of a better term in MA - I’d love to have something like this available more locally though - I’m outside of Jamaica

yardgrazer

I wish I could remember who the conventional breeder who teamed up with them was (Exotic Genetics?) but you might want to check out Davis Hemp outta OR - they've got some interesting sounding compliant-CBD offerings. That or the afterthought autos guy has some hemp seed lines (see z-labs for that I think).

Sunshineinabag

Vermonters need to focus on vermonters not what happens out of state that really don't have a foothold in our beautiful state. There's no shortage of " farmers" here now but balanced mentally...friendly non judgemental based in looks type folks are getting harder and harder to find

Vermonster73

I’m outside of Jamaica

I’m outside of Jamaica

This sounds like a great idea - I’ve been traveling to “weed farmers markets” for lack of a better term in MA - I’d love to have something like this available more locally though - I’m outside of Jamaica

Howdy neighbor I’m on other side of ball
Mountain dam
I’ve grown a while indoor and outdoor
I’m breeding autos soon

I would love to meet up and swap genetics if this comes to fruition! I probably won’t be able to get together until around May though... lots going on right now, but would be delighted to meet up with like-minded cool people!

If you're trying to host a canna cup in VT let me kno, I've been trying to pull something together foreverrrr. I was writing articles for the heady VT for a little bit. I know of a ton of people who love to attend a legitimate event. I've tried to get a cup going for a couple years now but it always falls apart when it comes to getting everyone to agree on something.

Latest posts

Latest posts