What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Horticulture Lighting Group HLG-550 V2 Test

Katsu

Veteran
LOL - as far away from them as I can get. I've been bending the stems to keep them at least 12" away but it's been tough...

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here is the Bandaid Haze 7 under the HLG 550 V2 at 9.5 weeks. For a Sativa, I am very pleased with how she is growing. When she's done in 4.5 - 6.5 weeks, the buds should actually be reasonably dense. I grew out Neville's Haze years ago indoors under 1000W HPS and it was amazing, but really wispy... I have a seeded BH7 under 1000W HPS now and she doesn't look nearly as dense as this one. Really looking forward to the side by side - getting close now...
View Image

Spot on Katsu coming on well :tiphat:

Katsu

Veteran
I ran the Bubba cross tent using this light and am very happy with the results. Although no side by side this time, I don't think the 1000W HPS would have produced a noticeably bigger yield, and the terp profile using the LED's was off the hook. I really like this light.

FredDaYet

Hey Katsu! Those buds look killer. I hope it’s alright if I ask you a quick question. I’m prepping for my first home grow and am leaning towards growing in a 4X4 tent after some great advice from folks on these forums.

I’m having a hard time deciding between a 600W or 1000W HPS for the space and a good LED for that space like the HLG 550.

The cost of the HLG isn’t prohibitive and I hope to grow for my head stash for years to come so I’d see it as an investment. The efficiency and yields of good LEDs seem great. But since I’m hoping to grow for head stash and I love pungent terps and lots of flavor, I’m really concerned with whether either light technology produces superior taste and aromas. I would greatly appreciate if you had any thoughts on whether something like the HLG 550 is better than HPS for flavor and smell. Seems like you might think so from your comments here.

Either way, enjoy the nugs and have a great day, dude!

Katsu

Veteran
The new HLG 550 v2r has red spectrum and is a great choice. Black Sail makes COB cannons that I'm testing that also seem really good, with better canopy penetration (I think). I'm testing the Kind LED K5 XL1000 (blurple) but at twice the cost, I'm not sure it would be a good pick for a budget-conscious grower. I've only done a full run with the HLGs (the others are in flower) but I've been told by others to expect better terps from all of the LED's I'm running.

FredDaYet

The new HLG 550 v2r has red spectrum and is a great choice. Black Sail makes COB cannons that I'm testing that also seem really good, with better canopy penetration (I think). I'm testing the Kind LED K5 XL1000 (blurple) but at twice the cost, I'm not sure it would be a good pick for a budget-conscious grower. I've only done a full run with the HLGs (the others are in flower) but I've been told by others to expect better terps from all of the LED's I'm running.

Thanks Katsu! That’s really helpful info. I’ll have to check out Black Sail too. Hope you get some killer terps from your runs. :)

LostTribe

Premium user

Did you get the 3k or 4k spectrum on this HLG 550 v2? I was looking at a 3.5k

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
Here is the Bandaid Haze 7 under the HLG 550 V2 at 9.5 weeks. For a Sativa, I am very pleased with how she is growing. When she's done in 4.5 - 6.5 weeks, the buds should actually be reasonably dense. I grew out Neville's Haze years ago indoors under 1000W HPS and it was amazing, but really wispy... I have a seeded BH7 under 1000W HPS now and she doesn't look nearly as dense as this one. Really looking forward to the side by side - getting close now...
View Image

That is a good looking strain. Nice work. :tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts