What's new

hooking up sub panel from main service

L

lazy gardener

would anyone have a picture of a subpanel- breakers- with wire running to outlets. Im trying to see the over all look of what the installed panel should look like install next to the main service panel. I'm recessing the sub into othe wall and gonna finsh the sheet rock back to new after the upgrade and install is complete. this would be a big help thanks.
the system will only be 4 -600's, 3- 4 ft t8 tubes, and a cfl for propgator, 4 fans 2 6 exhust 2 8 inch blowing vert straight to the bulb, and passive air intake. the only one i can find is this= and this shit is way gotta my league. plus ive seen the gang box someone put a link to from the guy out of iowa running off a dryer plug.

L

lazy gardener

ive read and read and just thought id ask too see if i can get a little help. but thanks anyways everyone. guess its because ive registered as a new member is why not even a fuck u. thanks!

L

lazy gardener

mad peniguin Thanks for your time and patience, the information I was able to find that you posted was great. just what i was looking for. please be patient with us newbies and electic, the why you explained the sets was really easy to understand

imnotcrazy

There is ALWAYS meaning to my madness ®
Veteran
Your question is a bit confusing man, are you asking how to wire the sub panel into the main panel? Or are you asking how to wire all you equipment into an existing sub panel?

Break your question down a bit better so I can understand what you are trying to accomplish and I'll walk ya thru it

L

lazy gardener

"would anyone have a picture of a subpanel- breakers- with wire running to outlets. Im trying to see the over all look of what the installed panel should look like installed next to the main service panel." BOTH
sorry if that was so confusing. just wanted a picture of an open subpanel showing the wires connected to the main 200 amp panel, then the breaker set in the box, then the wires running to either plugs or gfci's. once again sorry if that was confusing, but i just repeated myself! anyways found it through madpeigniun's electric thread in grow room set ups

flyer81

People are probably hesitant because this is some serious shit. If you do something wrong the result is at best a spark and a loud sound and at worse either a fire, injury, or death. With high probably of the worst because of the voltage/amps running through the electrical panels.

Do you have a basic voltage meter? Are you able to shut the power off to your main panel while working in it?

The main panel for my place is a subpanel off of a much larger system so I able to shut power completely off everywhere in the panel. If your main panel is the feed direct from the utility line, your panel is probably energized even if all of the breakers are off. I have a voltmeter and check the voltage on each wire before I touch it even if the main braker is off.

Learning how to do this yourself is doable because I did it. Read as much as you can and take your time. Most importantly is sizing the wire and circuit breakers for the load. If your breaker is 40 amps, make sure youre using no more than 32 of them continously.

And yes, add up everything in your entire building and make sure you are not going above 80-90 amps continuously everywhere.

Check you tube: How to wire a new circuit breaker / subpanel

Wendull C.

Veteran
Probably too late for you @ lazy gardener but for any one else it may help not have a fire or unwanted attention to your place...
The bus bar of a main service panel (the silver bar behind the breakers that they swivel to) is always hot unless your power has been turned off at the pole by your electrical provider. Or in the underground vault for you city slickers.:)
There is no way to shut the power to the bus bar off, though I guess you could if you blew the transformer but...
Another useful trick to save you from a very bad flash burn if you hit that bar with a metal object(your screw driver) is to cover your long thin flat head screw driver with a layer or two of thick electrical tape.
Also make sure any knockout holes you punch out and all the metal that breaks away when you punch said knockout is safely out of the panel, If it causes an arc between the line side (power in) you will blow the neighborhood transformer. If it causes an arc between your bus bar and your grounded panel box it might blow up your bar.