What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Honduran Landrace

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Ok. I tried to replicate the native soil and climate as best I can remember. I started over with a super light very hydrophobic soil with a good helping of compost from my garden bin. Pinch of Epsom salt, 5.15.5 Water with ph of 5.5 and let them work for it, then a good downpour like it does there, then starve some more. I even made a little red bricks dust for it. Lol

So far so good!
View Image

Thanks to everyone for the input.
They're looking great.

The P and Mg are having their effect, and I suspect the compost is pulling up the pH.

The reason I think the 7.0 pH would be best, is that's the pH at which nutrients are most easily absorbed in organic soil.

What I think is going on in the Honduran soil at the low pH, is that the seeds grow into the mycorrhizal fungi of another plant or tree, which shields the roots from the soil's pH.

troutman

Seed Whore
If you throw lots of fresh material to be composted it will tie up a lot nutrients until it's decomposed.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Took some cuttings today.

I barely visited them all summer. May be a couple glances to make sure they were there and still standing.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php